Blog The Game Within the Game: Making the Most of Your Time Between Rounds

I have to say, this is probably the best article I have ever read on Pokébeach or any site for that matter.
I also agree 100% that hyping it up even more by playing Melee in between rounds is the way to victory.
Woop woop multishines

Uhh.... Uhh... Umm.. I've.. Actually.. Set my deck Ablaze. Not 2 competitive, no like Shaymins or nothing, but still a good 100 somtin dollas gone. GONE. FOREVER.
Edit:
not to mention how much fun it was. But one of my frends tore up his newly pulled Full Art Shaymin. If ya want I can get a pic here in maybe a month or a few weeks. I'm outta town and so is he for da summer. He has liek 0 Internet.

I agree. This was the best article I've read. i hope the tips will help noobs like me next season xD!

Erm, don't your homework and Melee points contradict eachother really, really badly? They're both pretty mentally taxing (a point you actually make yourself), and the only real difference is that you're also socializing with Melee. Which I guess could be relevant to a point, but it's still not resting. Also, the odds you have access to something like that at anything resembling a large event is basically zero. (Also, I really dislike that you specifically called out Melee instead of just using games in general as an example... There's plenty of less taxing but equally enjoyable games you could be playing while you recover. Plus, you know, not everyone likes Melee.)

You do have a lot of good points, though I don't agree with every single one (the above, for instance, and half of the last one. You shouldn't beat yourself up over a loss, but scapegoating it on the coin flip or a lucky draw isn't helping anyone. While some people are fine with opening themselves up to auto-losses, most should think about how they'd go about dealing with such situations better in future. There's always room for improvement, even in a near-unwinnable scenario.) Overall, a fairly solid article I guess. Not as hyped on it as the other posters, but eh. It definitely wasn't bad.

Excellent read. Informative and humorous, but not obnoxiously so. I'm still going to try, but you very well may seal it up...again. Great article, man.

How do your articles just keep becoming better and better? o_O

Conveniently, this problem was exactly what I experienced last year at Nats. I swear I just turned to sulking in a corner after an 0-4 run with Trevenant (before it was cool). Now my mind and heart is set. I'll just haul a Gamecube, 2 controllers, a generator, and a small Cathode Ray Tube TV in between rounds an see if anyone wants to play :)
Maybe I should get one of those luggage carts and wheel it around... or maybe carry it all in my backpack like a true pokemon trainer ;)

I love Wendy's salads, just sayin. Quality food option. Very funny article. All of the tips are valid and spot on. However the article is pretty much just common sense. Like wow I didn't know I should eat drink and piss lol. The one thing that hasn't been said a lot is moving around and not just sitting all the time (and I guess Melee), so that's good. Could be personal preference, but I agree. I'm pretty much always moving around in between rounds.

Wow, guys. Thanks for the incredible commentary. Didn't imagine I'd read the words "best" and "article" in the same sentence for my work. Really, really means a lot. <3

Erm, don't your homework and Melee points contradict eachother really, really badly? They're both pretty mentally taxing (a point you actually make yourself), and the only real difference is that you're also socializing with Melee. Which I guess could be relevant to a point, but it's still not resting. Also, the odds you have access to something like that at anything resembling a large event is basically zero. (Also, I really dislike that you specifically called out Melee instead of just using games in general as an example... There's plenty of less taxing but equally enjoyable games you could be playing while you recover. Plus, you know, not everyone likes Melee.)

You do have a lot of good points, though I don't agree with every single one (the above, for instance, and half of the last one. You shouldn't beat yourself up over a loss, but scapegoating it on the coin flip or a lucky draw isn't helping anyone. While some people are fine with opening themselves up to auto-losses, most should think about how they'd go about dealing with such situations better in future. There's always room for improvement, even in a near-unwinnable scenario.) Overall, a fairly solid article I guess. Not as hyped on it as the other posters, but eh. It definitely wasn't bad.

Thank you for your feedback @RiverShock! I appreciate you giving my article the critical read. As disclaimed, some of these may work for you and some of these don't. I find that playing Melee is relaxing because it's a game that isn't being played in a competitive light. I wouldn't consider myself a complete casual (even though I probably play like one) but playing a game that isn't for thousands of dollars that is equally or more enjoyed to me is more stress-free. Heck, you can choose the character that best reflects how you wanna play. Need to slow it down? Jigglypuff. Need to get anger out? Captain Falcon. Or Fox. Or Falco. (Probably the latter two, but yo. Falcon Punch and fair is hype.)

I will disagree with "something like that at anything resembling a large event is basically zero." There have been setups in the past, (and has gained a bit of popularity this past year within the Pokémon community), and there will be setups in the future. There's a community on Facebook that usually has curious members post about Melee setups. I even wrote in the article I had brought a setup to Winter Regs.

That's ok that you dislike me calling out Melee, but frankly other than that and Cards Against Humanity, I have personally not seen other games being played. Please contribute with what other activities you've seen at larger events! :)

Yeah that last point about attributing a loss to a coin flip was more light-hearted lol.

Excellent read. Informative and humorous, but not obnoxiously so. I'm still going to try, but you very well may seal it up...again. Great article, man.

I took your advice to heart man. Thank you for your input on that last article haha.

@WastedSkyPirate: You the man. :) Thanks brotha from anotha country. xD

Conveniently, this problem was exactly what I experienced last year at Nats. I swear I just turned to sulking in a corner after an 0-4 run with Trevenant (before it was cool). Now my mind and heart is set. I'll just haul a Gamecube, 2 controllers, a generator, and a small Cathode Ray Tube TV in between rounds an see if anyone wants to play :)

Haha yo I just brought my laptop and a charger and the adapters to Regs. It's a lot easier. Usually stuff happens on FB where a few people chip in to get a setup together. I hope that Melee happens at Nats!

I love Wendy's salads, just sayin. Quality food option. Very funny article. All of the tips are valid and spot on. However the article is pretty much just common sense. Like wow I didn't know I should eat drink and piss lol. The one thing that hasn't been said a lot is moving around and not just sitting all the time (and I guess Melee), so that's good. Could be personal preference, but I agree. I'm pretty much always moving around in between rounds.

Hahaha I won't deny that a good chunk of this article is common sense, but let's be real - we forget fam. My article is meant for everybody, and you'll get inexperienced players that get discouraged after a loss or two in their first big event. So, there's that. Heck, I didn't eat all of 2013 Nats like a moron (thankfully I was only doing side events cuz I was a scrub and didn't know about the Play! Points at the time) and slammed down twenty-one boneless wings at BW3s when the day ended. It was the best feeling ever. Until it was dump time. That might've been the most painful fifteen minutes of my life. (Ok I'm exaggerating but there is no fiber in chicken wings bruh.)

5/7 perfect score. but in all seriousness, 10/10. Recommended to a group of friends to read as we prep for Nats! :) Keep up the good writing!

Back