• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

The Curse of Mewtwo (Mewtwo / Trevenant)

theliercat

Aspiring Trainer
Experience: Novice

Pokemon
  • 4 Phantump XY
  • 3 Trevenant XY
  • 3 Sigilyph LTR
  • 3 Mewtwo EX LTR

Trainers
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Lasers
  • 3 Virbank City Gym
  • 3 Switch
  • 3 Skyla
  • 3 Cilan
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Great Ball
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 N
  • 2 Colress
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Dowsing Machine

Energy
  • 10 Psychic
  • 3 DCE

Strategy

I just threw this list together in the last hour but this is what I'm thinking...
Ideally start with a Sigilyph as my Active to stall what is now an EX heavy game. This will give me time to get Virbank out, Hypnolaser my opponent ASAP and put them in a panic before they can even attack. This will also give me time to get Trevenant out and either Switch or Float Stone him out to kill my opponents from playing items and further stall him. This whole time Mewtwo EX is being charged up on the bench as well as the opponents 'mon so by the time he comes out it will be a OHKO. This is all in theory of course, no test runs yet. Any and all input is much appreciated!

RE: The Curse of Mewtwo

The only problem with using Trevenant is that it ALWAYS has to be active. You could be preventing your opponent from using items for lets say 2-3 turns. It does hinder their ability to play comfortably. But as soon as you move trevenant to attack with mewtwo. The item cards you were preventing over the last few turns can all be used now. Giving your opponent a huge turn.

To use trevenant properly. I feel like you need an attacker that attacks and retreats of some sort. Like accelgor's deck n cover. Ninjask, Magnezone and that sort of stuff. Even then if you can manage to out live the onslaught of the attackers and remove Trevenant from play, most other decks sort of just fall apart.

Also never use Cilan. He was only good before for decks like blastoise. But now Profs letter is just so much better, just because it doesnt take up your supporter for turn.

RE: The Curse of Mewtwo

^Ivy_Profen has a good point. Have you considered running Ghetsis instead of Cilan so you can kill two birds with one stone, taking care of both the trainer-heavy-turn problem and the lack of synergy with Cilan?

(Plus, Cilan is rather outclassed by Professor's Letter as it searches for two basic energy for a mere trainer, saving a play of a supporter for when you need it)

Thanks for the input first of all, I really am a noob when it comes to Pokemon.

Now as far as Cilan, I haven't considered the Supporter it takes up but I've always used it in conjunction to Prof Letter in my Deluge deck. I honestly find Cilan useful but you really think it's that bad? I'll take a good look at Ghetsis, I never really considered him.

With Trevenant I'm really just trying to find a viable use for him and I figure switching off with Sigilyph I can stall even longer until Mewtwo is ready. I really just put this list together as an idea but I'd like to experiment with Trevenant and Mewtwo.

Look up Accelgor/Trevenant, that list probably takes the most significant advantage of the ent.
Cilan is straight bad in this deck, and I probably wouldn't run a bunch of Mewtwo, since you will probably only get the time to sufficiently power up one. I'd also go with 4 DCE, since everything you have usese it, and it's the fastest way to build Mewtwo.

Yeah Accelgor/Mew/Trevenant is probably the best use for it. For pokemon with "only when active" abilities usually only work by being active ALL THE TIME. So your strategy should be to have that pokemon in the active whenever you end your turn.

Also stalling in the pokemon tcg is never a good plan, unless of course you are darkrai/garbodor. The longer you take to set up and do anything the worst off you generally are. Unless you straight up OHKO everything after you set up, Blastoise/Keldeo/Black Kyurem. Or have a good way to instantly charge up a ton of different attackers, Fairy Aromatisse deck.

Either way, Accelgor/Mew/Trevenant was at one point, one of the best decks in the format. You basically set up a bunch of trevenant, an accelgor, and have a few mew. Mew uses accelgors attack "deck and cover" to attack the active for 50, paralyze and poison it. Then it gets shuffled back into the deck. Then you put trevenant in the active again. With some luck and proper planning. This deck can prevent your opponent from almost anything. No items, no retreating, no attacking, and they slowly get knocked out. The only problem with this deck is that it has no really strategy against decks with Virizion ex or Slurpuff and generally means an instant loss.

Back