Contest The Create-A-Card Symbol Competition - The Votes Are In!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
The Create-A-Card Symbol Competition
Wooo~ lame names

tumblr_o3xyoebUkL1ttdkobo1_400.gif

Since 2013, the Create-A-Card Competition has required entrants to include one of the following symbols [one, two, three] on their image-based cards, for it to be eligible. However, @Nekoban Ryo, who created these symbols years back, recently suggested that we should narrow the options down to a single, universal symbol.

This is where you come in! Yup, you read that right! We’re hosting a competition, to see who can create the most creative, professional and aesthetically pleasing Create-A-Card set symbol, which will become the symbol to be used on all image-based entries in the foreseeable future. Anyone can enter - heck, what is there to lose?

Follows are the rules and requirements. Make sure you read them all carefully!
  1. You can enter up to 3 different symbols per person.
  2. The symbol must be your own creation.
  3. Do NOT steal someone else's work and claim is as your own. You will be disqualified and result in a severe warning.
  4. It is imperative that the symbol functions aesthetically and practically on any era and any type of template.
  5. The symbol may have the text ‘PB CAC’ or 'CAC' (all caps, no quotes), or must be symbolic of the CAC and PB.
  6. The submission should fit snugly within the dimensions of 200x200 and should downsize nicely.
  7. The design should mimic a set symbol, and can be either coloured or black-and-white.
  8. Post your submission directly in this thread.
  9. Any symbols that do not follow these requirements will not be considered.
You may work individually or as partners. If you’d like to pair up, feel free to ask around in this thread! Entries will be voted on by the community after the deadline.

Deadline: July 23rd (Sun.) 12:00pm EST
Have a fun, convenient deadline countdown: [link]​

Last edited:
Is this in place of the CAC contest for the month, or as well?

That text requirement makes this quite restrictive.

Is this in place of the CAC contest for the month, or as well?

That text requirement makes this quite restrictive.
It's as well as it. As per usual bb likes to post it, so when the land down under wakes up, it'll be posted :)

Like I said, I'm not the best logo creater. If anything I'm the worst! But the whole idea of the fun is to take part, and that is exactly what I will be doing.
pokebeach_create_a_card_logo_one_attempt_by_kangaflora-dbeqg28.png

pokebeach_create_a_card_logo_two_attempt_by_kangaflora-dbeqgmv.png

pokebeach_create_a_card_logo_three_attempt_by_kangaflora-dbeqgts.png

Let's see if I can defend my title. :p

Here's my #1 attempt. It's kind of a mash-up between my old symbols, but I based the star on Base Set Staryu instead of the promo star (with Staryu being the site's mascot and all). The text was drawn manually (I didn't use pre-existing fonts). I'm not sure if it will scale nicely for ALL templates, but hopefully it'll work nicely on the HQ ones at least. (The "CAC" couldn't possibly be smaller than the ruby text on Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh! cards, right?)

cac_new.png

Transparent background:
cac_new_tran.png

Last edited:
It's great to see all the interest so far! I'm looking forward to those entries.

I've also just updated one of the rules from:

The symbol must have the text ‘PB CAC’ (all caps, no quotes)

To:
The symbol may have the text ‘PB CAC’ or 'CAC' (all caps, no quotes), or must be symbolic of the CAC and PB.

This should give you all a bit more creative freedom!

I've also just updated one of the rules

This should give you all a bit more creative freedom!
Thank you. I was having a lot of trouble with incorporating all five letters and still getting it to look good, of at least satisfactory to myself.

Probably still won't look as good as Neko's efforts, but I can try.

I've also just updated one of the rules

Beautiful, thank you. That definitely allows a bit more scope here.

I'm away for half of this month, but I'll take a run at this if I have some time in the last two weeks.

Thank you. I was having a lot of trouble with incorporating all five letters and still getting it to look good, of at least satisfactory to myself.

Probably still won't look as good as Neko's efforts, but I can try.

That's the spirit! The best part of the contest is taking part.

Two entries from me. I've kind of been sticking with the motif of the two Cs being aranged like a spanner.

#1:
01 ALT 200px.png
#2:
02 200px.png

Higher res versions:
01 ALT hi-res.png
02 hi-res.png

^ Very clever them, especially the first one, as it looks like a Fidget Spinner, which seems to be in trend in the UK at the moment.

Mine is different. Here goes nothing:
CAC LOGO.png
Just a little touch of whimsy to every CAC entry. Realism is important but the point of the icon is to say that it is a fake after all. So yeah old school Pikachu will make a great logo.

So the first thing I came up with was this:
CAC Logo 1 copy.png
It may be simple, but I think it is pretty nice, and a Unique spin on writing CAC.

My #2 submission:

pb_cac_sym2.png

Looks the same as my first, you say? Well it is, just with some minor tweaks. I warped the perspective of the star to make it shorter, which should allow the overall symbol to be slightly larger (increasing legibility of the smaller text). The strokes of the text also line-up better with the star now (the space between the bottom C and lower right point of the star is equal to the black stroke weight).

Pre-sized for current era (asche's Sun/Moon blanks used for reference): cac_new_sm.png

In addition to a universal symbol, I suggest we also add a universal numbering system for CAC submissions. For example, 8/2017 or AUG17 for August '17 submissions.

Last edited:
And here's my #3, a different idea altogether for a change. Not sure if I like it as much as my previous idea, but I imagine it will scale better.

pb_cac_sym3.png

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't inspired by some of the other submissions. This one might look like a flaming Poké Ball at a glance, but it also combines the two C's from CAC and the rays of light from the sun in PokéBeach's logo.

That's it for me! I hope to see more promising ideas from you guys!

Last edited:
Back