• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Team Magma Aggron / Camerupt

Windfish

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon:

• 3 Team Magma Numel
    3 Team Magma Camerupt
    4 Team Magma Aron
    2 Team Magma Lairon
    4 Team Magma Aggron
    2 Team Magma Zangoose
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:

• 1 Switch
    4 Professor Sycamore
    2 Energy Switch
    4 Korrina
    2 Lysandre
    1 Lysandre's Trump Card
    2 VS Seeker
    2 Energy Retrieval
    1 Escape Rope
    2 Professor Birch's Observations
    3 Rare Candies
    4 Team Magma Great Ball
    4 Team Magma's Hideout
Energy:

• 6 Fighting Energy
    4 Double Magma Energy

Strategy:
The ideal situation is to have a powered-up Team Magma Aggron in the active spot and at least two Team Magma Camerupt's on the bench Burndrafting for Double Magma Energy. Discarding both for Aggron's Rock Stamp results in 160 damage. In addition, I could also possibly discard a third Double Magma Energy (perhaps attached to Aggron itself) resulting in 240 damage. Or, in a pinch, I could discard the two energy on Aggron for that. Running two Energy Switches (which I can fetch with Korrina) allows me to take a basic energy on Camerupt (which took that energy from the discard pile with Burndraft) and power-up Aggron. I have considered running more Energy Switches, but I am not sure (Energy Switches are also the reason I have opted out of Strong Energy, though I am open to it).

With a well placed Double Magma Energy and two Fighting Energy, I could also use Aggron's other attack, which does 120 damage and attacks anyone on the opponent's bench with damage counters on it (hence Team Magma's Hideout).

Zangoose would be the ideal start, allowing me to get basics and use Korrina to fetch Lairon and Aggron and a Rare Candy. I could also use Korrina to fetch Aron, Lairon, or Aggron and a Team Magma Great Ball.

I need suggestions to button-up this deck, make it as competitive as possible. I would like to stick with Magma Pokemon and non-EXs, though. I have considered adding Rainbow Energy to the mix so that Camerupt can actually attack, but I am not sure.

EDIT: I could particularly use suggestions on how to make Camerupt an attacker without overhauling my energy system too much. The reason is, I do come across steel decks now and then, and it may prove useful as a type-advantage attacker.

I have researched this further and found that variants of this deck have been developed, but none seem to make use of Double Magma Energy. I wonder why - surely, discarding Double Magma Energy for Aggron's Rock Stamp is better than merely discarding a Fighting Energy.

I also that others have run Scorched Earth as the stadium. Interesting.

EDIT: I see. Double Magma Energy only counts as Fighting Energy only when it is in play and, therefore, cannot be targeted by Camerupt's Burning Draft ability. Huh. So my deck listing above may require modifications.

Back