• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Tapu Bulu GX (Post ULP)

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
Alright everyone, here is my Tapu Bulu GX list (using a card from ULP). Nothing to interesting about it I guess, just want to go over a few cards that will benefit Tapu Bulu GX to help against the fast approaching new competitors. I'm predicting that this deck (and Zoroark Break) will be top contenders soon, so I'm excited to figure out a decent list.

Pokémon*16

Tapu Bulu GX*3 PR
Grubbin*3 SUM
Charjabug*1 SUM
Vikavolt*3 SUM
Mew*1 FCO
Clefairy*1 EVO
Remoraid*1 BKT (Ion Pool variant)
Octillery*1 BKT
Tapu Lele GX*2 GRI

Trainer*33

Cynthia*4 ULP
Prof. Sycamore*2 BKP
N*3 FCO
Guzma*2 BUS
Skyla*3 BCR
Brigette*2 BKT
Ultra Ball*4 SUM
Rare Candy*3 SUM
Heavy Ball*1 BKT
Energy Recycler*2 GRI
Rescue Stretcher*1 GRI
Choice Band*4 GRI
Float Stone*2 BKT

Energy*11

Grass Energy*7 SUM
Lightning Energy*4 SUM

There is really only on card that changes this deck and that would be Cynthia. Something I've noticed in this deck is that discarding resources really hits hard if it's something that you'd prefer to use later (like Energy Recycler). Cynthia allows you to shuffle the bad hands this deck is prone to (which is really its only weakness) and draw a fresh six, which is only one down from a Sycamore. I personally like having a fourth Choice Band to help hit numbers like Zoroark GX, Golisopod GX, etc. I'd really like to find room for a Tapu Koko promo, but I currently can't find room (though I'm sure there is something I can remove). Just let me know what you think, thanks!

I think that 3 skyla might be a bit too much. Maybe replace it with koko promo? Also, What do you think about pal pad? maybe drop a cynthia to put one in?

I think that 3 skyla might be a bit too much. Maybe replace it with koko promo? Also, What do you think about pal pad? maybe drop a cynthia to put one in?

I wouldn't go below three Skyla since this deck usually requires specific cards each turn, most of them are items (Heavy Ball for Vikavolt, Rare Candy, Choice Band, etc.). Pal Pad can be an option, but before I consider one I need to find room for a Tapu Koko promo. I will most likely have to remove either one Sycamore, one Cynthia, or the Octillery line (also inserting Oranguru if I do) to add in the Tapu Koko. I think I may have to do the last option, but I really think that Octillery is the best way to go.

I wouldn't go below three Skyla since this deck usually requires specific cards each turn, most of them are items (Heavy Ball for Vikavolt, Rare Candy, Choice Band, etc.). Pal Pad can be an option, but before I consider one I need to find room for a Tapu Koko promo. I will most likely have to remove either one Sycamore, one Cynthia, or the Octillery line (also inserting Oranguru if I do) to add in the Tapu Koko. I think I may have to do the last option, but I really think that Octillery is the best way to go.
Zoroark-GX, as you know, is a good draw support, and can be used as a back-up attacker. It may not draw as much as octillery, but it still helps. Maybe test out zoroark?

Zoroark-GX, as you know, is a good draw support, and can be used as a back-up attacker. It may not draw as much as octillery, but it still helps. Maybe test out zoroark?

That is an interesting idea, I'll try it out. What do you suggest I remove (besides the Octillery line)?

I would try and remove the mew for the koko promo because they both have free retrat and koko is.. well... Koko! I would replace a N and a cynthia for 2 pal pads.

Buzzwole GX is popular in my area, so Mew is the more important tech in that case (maybe I can remove the Clefairy...). On the topic of Zoroark GX, I'd rather remove a Choice Band and Cynthia, but it gets the job done anyways. I'll let you know how it goes!

Buzzwole GX is popular in my area, so Mew is the more important tech in that case (maybe I can remove the Clefairy...). On the topic of Zoroark GX, I'd rather remove a Choice Band and Cynthia, but it gets the job done anyways. I'll let you know how it goes!

Resources being as precious as they are for this archetype, I would think about cutting that Clefairy. I'm assuming you included it for Metronome, which takes 3 energy. Although potentially powerful, it's 3 energy that could have been spent on this deck's main attacker, Tapu Bulu-GX. Mew being as good as it is in your local league's meta, I'd consider dropping Clefairy altogether so as to not spread your resources too thin.

I'm somewhat surprised that you are playing neither Fighting Fury Belt nor Aether Paradise Conservation Area. I understand that you favour Choice Band over the former, but I feel you really should consider the latter. It improves the survivability of not only your Bulus, but those poor little Grubbins as well.

Also, if you are REALLY hurting for space in the deck, you might like to try a 2-2-2 line of Vikavolt, or even a 2-1-2 line if you play at least 3 Rare Candy. You will never need (or want) more than 1 Vikavolt in play at any time, and what are the odds of you prizing either both Vikavolt or Grubbin?

Too many Skyla....yeah it's nice but getting caught with that being your only supporter in hand makes the deck extremely clunky

I love the list. I wouldnt change anything about it. Only "suggestion" I have is removing a Charjabug, since all it does is delay the T2 Vikavolt. And contrary to eveyone who is disagreeing about 3 Skyla, it is completely fine. I wouldn't change. Skyla is just so beneficial for this deck, grabbing any item you need. Combined with the support of Octillery to make sure you draw into her at the right time, it is great in this deck!

EDIT: and as always, I'm most the time on PTCGO, so feel free to PM me when you'd like to test, or if you need anything. I have a Bulu list built myself, and I'd be glad to give some pointers and discuss cards.

My biggest suggestion, which is nothing major, is to replace the Rescue Stretcher with a Super Rod. 2 Energy Recycler and a Super Rod gives you all the energy recovery you need, while still allowing you to shuffle Pokémon back into your deck if needed.

Not sure if you need both Clefairy and Mew, as they provide similar roles. I would cut the Clefairy and add in the Tapu Koko that you're trying to find space for.

Resources being as precious as they are for this archetype, I would think about cutting that Clefairy. I'm assuming you included it for Metronome, which takes 3 energy. Although potentially powerful, it's 3 energy that could have been spent on this deck's main attacker, Tapu Bulu-GX. Mew being as good as it is in your local league's meta, I'd consider dropping Clefairy altogether so as to not spread your resources too thin.

I'm somewhat surprised that you are playing neither Fighting Fury Belt nor Aether Paradise Conservation Area. I understand that you favour Choice Band over the former, but I feel you really should consider the latter. It improves the survivability of not only your Bulus, but those poor little Grubbins as well.

Also, if you are REALLY hurting for space in the deck, you might like to try a 2-2-2 line of Vikavolt, or even a 2-1-2 line if you play at least 3 Rare Candy. You will never need (or want) more than 1 Vikavolt in play at any time, and what are the odds of you prizing either both Vikavolt or Grubbin?

My biggest suggestion, which is nothing major, is to replace the Rescue Stretcher with a Super Rod. 2 Energy Recycler and a Super Rod gives you all the energy recovery you need, while still allowing you to shuffle Pokémon back into your deck if needed.

Not sure if you need both Clefairy and Mew, as they provide similar roles. I would cut the Clefairy and add in the Tapu Koko that you're trying to find space for.

So, I'll just explain my reasoning with Clefairy. The reason I'm playing it is for Solgaleo GX (which I can't OHKO with Tapu Bulu GX), but a Clefairy with a Choice Band attached to it can so I think that it is a very valuable tech card once ULP is released. @Rensje, I do like the idea of Aether Paradise, a friend of mine plays Tapu Bulu GX and he plays Aether Paradise in it, but he's told me (actually, I suggested to him), that Po Town would be much better since it brings Gardevoir GX down to 200, Zoroark GX to 180, etc. I would prefer to keep three Grubbins and three Vikavolts, but as @FlavorfulPineApl mentioned, taking out the Chrajabug wouldn't be to bad. I'll probably add the Tapu Koko promo instead of Charjabug.

@HouchinsDJ, Super Rod isn't bad I guess, but I would prefer to have the accessibility of grabbing any Pokémon (like a Vikavolt) or shuffle them in. I wouldn't mind testing it out though, having a third way to recycle energy is a good option.

Too many Skyla....yeah it's nice but getting caught with that being your only supporter in hand makes the deck extremely clunky

I understand your point, @Jacktropolis, but this deck (as @FlavorfulPineApl mentioned) really only needs to grab one card per turn (like a Rare Candy, Heavy Ball, etc.). This is why I play Octillery as well, since if I have a Skyla as the only card in my hand, I can draw 4-5 cards (dependent one the card I get with Skyla) with Octillery to refresh my hand.

I love the list. I wouldnt change anything about it. Only "suggestion" I have is removing a Charjabug, since all it does is delay the T2 Vikavolt. And contrary to eveyone who is disagreeing about 3 Skyla, it is completely fine. I wouldn't change. Skyla is just so beneficial for this deck, grabbing any item you need. Combined with the support of Octillery to make sure you draw into her at the right time, it is great in this deck!

EDIT: and as always, I'm most the time on PTCGO, so feel free to PM me when you'd like to test, or if you need anything. I have a Bulu list built myself, and I'd be glad to give some pointers and discuss cards.

Thanks for the suggestions and the offer for advice, I appreciate it. I'll let you know as soon as I have a moment (and I finish building Tapu Bulu GX on PTCGO, I only have the cards).

Anyways, thanks everyone for the advice, I'll definitely test out what you mentioned as soon as I get the chance, Thanks!

Back