• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Talonflame BREAK

Zentrility

Aspiring Trainer
Hello fellow trainers, I hope all of you have had a wonderful day/night!

I am seeking help to make adjustments to my deck so that it can be more useful in the metagame.
I appreciate new ideas and will take them into consideration.
Pokémon - 16

* 4 Fletchling GEN 125
* 4 Fletchinder STS 95
* 4 Talonflame STS 96
* 4 Talonflame BREAK STS 21

Trainer Cards - 30

* 2 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 162
* 3 Wally ROS 107
* 4 Winona ROS 108
* 1 Pokémon Ranger STS 113
* 2 Super Rod BKT 149
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 2 Special Charge STS 105
* 1 Escape Rope PRC 127
* 1 Teammates PRC 160
* 1 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 4 Scorched Earth FAC 110
* 3 N NVI 101
* 1 Lysandre FLF 104
* 1 Town Map BCR 136

Energy - 14

* 4 Burning Energy BKT 151
* 10 Fire Energy BLWEnergy 4

You can place Talonflame on your bench like a basic Pokémon when it's in your starting hand. Running a 4-4-4 line is not necessary. I pressume you prefer to start with Talonflame. So I would cut 1/2 Flechtlings and 3/4 Fletchinders. This way you have 6 Pokémon you can start the game with. Add Rare Candy and getting Talonflame on the bench is a very easy task. In my opinion worth the risk of 1 or 2 mulligans. Also this way you don't need Wally and / or Winona that much. Make place for some Trainers' Mail or Acro Bike (Acro Bike works a little better with Puzzle of Time)

I wouldn't have much hope of taking down EX Pokémon with Talonflame BREAK even with the help of Giovanni's Scheme, doing 170 damage is in many cases not enough. You have to finish of High HP Pokémon with Aero Blitz, which is great because you may pick 2 of any card. I suggest you use Professor Sycamore for draw power instead. Maybe keep one Giovanni's Scheme for Mega EX Pokémon (150+20+40=210)

Anyway, this deck has such a cool concept. You can start with a stage 2 Pokémon that has free retreat cost. You can do 150 damage to K.O. BREAK Pokémon or 2 hit K.O. Mega Pokémon. You also have the option to do 40 damage with Aero Blitz which is great against Pokémon with 160-190HP. All these attacks are available for just one or two energies.

BTW, Bursting Balloon is a great tool card for this deck.

Last edited:
What about Running a Bunnelby to get stuff from discard pile? Just a thought instead of Puzzle of Time. With a couple float stones and Talonflame free retreat, could help. Thoughts?

Agreed with less basic/stage 1 from the talonflame line, especially since you have so much search with winona and talonflame. Rare candy is also excellent, helps get to talonflame faster. Bursting ballon will help you get the revenge OHKO, also a great choice.

The power of talonflame's deck search is that it allows for you to search for cards that would normally be CONDITIONALLY great to play. It may change the theme of the deck, but I would really consider putting in some red card/delinquent, crushing/enhanced hammer, klefki STS, etc. (Maybe weakness policy/assault vest?) These types of cards need the right scenario to shutdown specific situations, with talonflame you can get the right type of counter right when you need it. (Also puzzle of time makes these cards even better imo). The downside is that you allow them to play one turn before you can play the cards you drew, but you do have the added bonus that you do not reveal which cards you searched to them.

Just posted my own Talonflame Break decklist, some of the ideas of which I'll share with you here too.

Echoing what has already been said, you don't need the full 4-4-4-4 Talonflame line. I run 3-2-4-3 with 2 rare candies. I also only run 2 Winona and 2 Wally, and this tends to be plenty to get set up. You'll rarely set up more than 3 Fletchlings in a single game, and you have Super Rods and PoTif you do need to.

I like4 Puzzle of Time, and I also like 4 Bursting Balloon. It gives you time to set up when you have to start Fletchling, can allow you to trade OHKOs with bigger Pokemon, and you can keep them coming back with PoT.

4 Trainers Mails will give you a lot more consistency, especially with the number of Trainer cards you're running. Also consider a couple of Volcanion (non Ex) to recycle the energy you ditch with Scorched Earth, and to give you a bigger non-Talonflame starter than Fletchling.

Back