Discussion Taking the Mulligan with Archie's/Maxie's

MaD_DoG

Defying physics since 2012
Imagine this scenario: You having opening hand with everything you need to get a t1 blastoise/archeops and everything seems perfect, but then your opponent mulligans. Do you take the mulligan or not? For me, it depends on what I'm playing. If I am playing Blastoise, I won't take the mulligan, but if I'm playing a deck that doesn't rely on getting the t1 Archie's/Maxie's I will generally take the mulligan. What would you guys/girls do?

If you know that you can hit a Turn 1 Blastoise or Archeops, then I wouldn't risk it. What are you looking to get out of drawing an extra card? If you're planning on discarding everything anyway, I honestly see no point.

I wouldn't risk it with a draw. However not drawing does tell your opponent something. If I know my opponent is playing such a deck and doesn't draw off my mulls and I go first, I will certainly try to use N or soon Judge. If you are going first, this is no downside.

If you have the play in hand and there's no way for your opponent to disrupt it (i.e. you're going first or second in a format without N/Judge/etc), there's virtually no reason to take the draw off the mulligan.

You'd be banking on drawing an extra card that you can "burn" like another Basic Pokemon, an Ultra Ball (if you have access to two Eggs), or a Stadium. The odds of that would depend on your build and starting hand, but the risk of missing out on such a game-changing play is not worth it in my book.

Back