• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Super Friends! (Swampert / Miltank)

JoeRow

Aspiring Trainer
So I built this deck online and I feel like I could be on to something! But the few games I tested, it didn't work out so well. Any advice?

Pokémon : 17
  • 3 Miltank (Powerful Friends) FLF
  • 2 Swirlix XY
  • 2 Slurpuff (Tasting) PHF
  • 2 Lapras XY
  • 3 Mudkip PRC
  • 2 Swampert (Diving Search) PRC
  • 2 Empoleon (Dignified Fighter) BKT
  • 1 Regice AOR
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 33
  • 2 Skyla
  • 3 Crushing Hammer
  • 2 Professor's Letter
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Archie's Ace in the Hole
  • 2 Super Rod
  • 1 Battle Compressor
  • 3 Rare Candy
  • 1 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 3 Dive Ball
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 VS Seeker
Energy: 10
  • 10 Water Energy
Strategy:

-So the main attacker of this deck is Miltank. Its Powerful Friends move does 100 damage for 1 energy and a Muscle Band.
-Swampert can be used as a strong attacker as well if needed and can be powered up quickly thanks to its Ancient Trait. It also combos with Slurpuff. Using Diving Search first and then Tasting to draw a card, you can get any card from the deck once per turn.
-Empoleon is there to boost Miltank further.
-The Ultra Balls are used mostly to discard cards and I have also tried to use item cards that do not add additional cards to the hand (like Crushing Hammer). After getting my hand size down I use VS Seeker to get Archie and play him to get Empoleon into play or Swampert if needed (but the main way out for Swampert is Rare Candy).
-Lapras is there for energy acceleration and Regice in case I need to deal with any troublesome EXs.

So I have managed to win a few games but I feel like I'm missing some things! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hey there! By just glancing at your deck list, you seem to have many cards which seem great on paper but not well when play testing. I like the idea of having empoleon, swampert, and slurpuff as your base of the deck with side attackers but i feel that you are spreading your option a little much. To explain, you run archies ace in the hole. While a great card to use against any pokemon in the discard pile, you do not run many cards that can be used to be discarded. If you ran an archies ace in the hole, i would expect to see more cards like maintenance to lower your hand, as well as lower the count of supporters as getting one can lower the chance of discarding it within the turn and to use archies. I understand that you want to use archies mainly for empoleon since you do not have any piplups in the lineup, but empoleon in not extremely crucial to run in this particular deck. While it is a great card to combo with a muscle band, it is not necessary. I am running a seismitoad/empoleon deck and that deck does not run but one rare candy but includes the entire line up of 2-1-2 for empoleon and it works fantastic. I think swampert is more viable and worth using than empoleon as swampert allows you each turn to use the ability. Another thing is that you run 2 lapras with ability to bring back water energy to your pokemon from your discard pile, although you only run 1 battle compressor. If you wish to run lapras at all, your battle compressors need to increase to 3-4 (3 being minimum) and to drop the super rods and replace it with a sacred ash because without energies in the discard pile, your lapras becomes useless. Hope this helps, if at all!

Cards to consider dropping:
- (2) Empoleon
- (2) super rods
- (2) rare candy
- (2) Archies ace in the hole
- (1) Dive ball

Cards to consider adding:
+ (2) battle compressors
+ (1) Marshomp
+ (1) evosoda (slurpuff quick evolution or mudkip or swampert)
+ (2) level ball (to search for swirlix or mudkip)
+ (3) silent lab (as you have no stadium cards and this card shuts down abilities for your opponents shaymins and other basic pokemon)
+ (1) sacred ash

Hey there! By just glancing at your deck list, you seem to have many cards which seem great on paper but not well when play testing. I like the idea of having empoleon, swampert, and slurpuff as your base of the deck with side attackers but i feel that you are spreading your option a little much. To explain, you run archies ace in the hole. While a great card to use against any pokemon in the discard pile, you do not run many cards that can be used to be discarded. If you ran an archies ace in the hole, i would expect to see more cards like maintenance to lower your hand, as well as lower the count of supporters as getting one can lower the chance of discarding it within the turn and to use archies. I understand that you want to use archies mainly for empoleon since you do not have any piplups in the lineup, but empoleon in not extremely crucial to run in this particular deck. While it is a great card to combo with a muscle band, it is not necessary. I am running a seismitoad/empoleon deck and that deck does not run but one rare candy but includes the entire line up of 2-1-2 for empoleon and it works fantastic. I think swampert is more viable and worth using than empoleon as swampert allows you each turn to use the ability. Another thing is that you run 2 lapras with ability to bring back water energy to your pokemon from your discard pile, although you only run 1 battle compressor. If you wish to run lapras at all, your battle compressors need to increase to 3-4 (3 being minimum) and to drop the super rods and replace it with a sacred ash because without energies in the discard pile, your lapras becomes useless. Hope this helps, if at all!

Cards to consider dropping:
- (2) Empoleon
- (2) super rods
- (2) rare candy
- (2) Archies ace in the hole
- (1) Dive ball

Cards to consider adding:
+ (2) battle compressors
+ (1) Marshomp
+ (1) evosoda (slurpuff quick evolution or mudkip or swampert)
+ (2) level ball (to search for swirlix or mudkip)
+ (3) silent lab (as you have no stadium cards and this card shuts down abilities for your opponents shaymins and other basic pokemon)
+ (1) sacred ash

Thanks for your feedback!
I see what you mean about Empoleon. Thinking back to my past games, the aim in my head was to get Empoleon out with Archie. But the game usually would have ended before I got there!
I'll definitely add Marshtomp and Evosodas and I've just got some more Battle Compressors!
I was looking at using another Pokémon with Archie... Maybe Graninja? If I use some Maintenance cards like you said and maybe change my energy levels, maybe I can use him to get some extra damage out, and then have them in the discard pile for Lapras to use and to put onto Swampert to sweep in later in the game.
What do you think?

I like your idea and sorry about the late response! Greninja on the other hand is another story however, because it is not the best card as a sub main attacker in my opinion. If you could, edit your deck list so I know and everyone else knows what you did and did not consider putting into the deck. I do no think using archie in this deck is worth using but it is up to you. Let me know what you have decided on the deck and we can help you from there!

Back