• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard (SUM-ON) Beast Box for a Junior Player

bidou

Aspiring Trainer
Hello,

I am thinking about a new deck for my 9yo son for the new season. :)

The meta is well-known before the rotation : Gardevoir GX & Buzzroc for everyone.
I really think it won't change after the rotation.

I think running a Metal Beast Box would be a good idea in order to take advantage in both machups :
- Stakataka GX and Baby Celesteela hit Gardevoir GX hardly.
- Naganadel GX eats Buzzwoles for the breakfast.
- Easy setup and hard to misplay, which is very important for a Junior player.

Here is his list (edited following members advices) :

Pokémon - 14
4 Poipole
3 Naganadel GX
4 Stakataka GX
1 Dusk Mane Necrozma GX
1 Dusk Mane Necrozma
1 Kartana GX

Trainers - 36
4 Cynthia
4 Guzma
2 Lilie
2 Tate & Liza
3 Acerola
1 Mystery Treasure
3 Nest Ball
3 Max Potion
3 Beast Ring
1 Switch
1 Escape Rope
3 Choice Band
1 Energy Recycle System
1 Rescue Stretcher
4 Ultra Space

Energies - 10
9 Metal
1 Beast Energy Prism Star

The main strategy is pretty simple : Abuse the cheap Naganadel GX's first attack and heal him as often as needed with Max Potion or Acerola. If the opponent manages to take a KO on it, use Beast Ring to power up an other Beast, and continue the beatdown :)

What do you think about it guys ?
What changes would you make ?

Thanks in advance ! :D

Last edited:
It appears as though there are a lot of pokemon with high attack costs, but no way to accelerate energy more than manual attachment. May I suggest taking out the 4th Poipole and putting in Solgaleo Prism Star? Not only does it help recover energy from the discard in a greater fashion, but it also puts them directly onto a secondary attacker like Dusk Mane GX, and most importantly helps introduce the mechanic of Prism Stars and the Lost Zone, instilling an early habit of its presence and how to use it.

Thanks for the reply, John :)

Naganadel GX is the main attacker, with its 1-energy attachment Beast Raid.
It's pretty cheap, and the 210 HP of that Pokémon (combined with Stakataka GX protection) are making it quite hard to OHKO... so Acerola and Max Potion really shine in this deck.

In my mind, the high attack costs (Dusk Mane Necrozma GX, or Stakataka GX) only come when the opponent took a KO and allow us to play Beast Ring.
That Beast Ring is great for the second wave, maybe should I play one more copy... but I don't want it to hurt the initial setup as it is absolutely useless in the first turns of the game.

Solgaleo Prism Star is great at any point, but it is not an Ultra Beast... we already have Tapu Lele GX in the deck to ensure a good setup, a second non-Ultra Beast Pokémon on the bench could be very detrimental for the deck strategy. What do you think about it ?

I am also thinking about replacing the Celesteela or the Kartana GX by a 4th copy of Stakataka GX in order to go deeper in the main strategy of the deck. Maybe a 4th stadium could be good too...

Also a little question : is it possible to play this deck without any copy of Tapu Lele GX ?

Last edited:
Hi biduo.

I have been playing beast box to great effect without Tapu Lele. I play my version with 4 of each Naganadel, Poiple, ultra space, and stakataka. I also play with baby kartana instead of baby celesteela. It works more with my play style. The one counter to my deck so far is if my opponent gets a powered up dawn wings necrozma out early. I have recently gone 3-0 in a league challenge against a sceptile deck, an ultra necrozma deck, and a Beast box. I hope this helps.:)

I would play a fourth Ultra Space because without it, the deck lacks power. 3 staka should be more than enough, since it's a big energy cost to finally do some damage with it. And you'd want, in the best scenario, have 3 staka's, 2 naga's and 1 other on the bench / main zone. This so you can always switch between Naga's. I'm not too fond of Ultra Ball, simply because you don't want to discard anything, except maybe early game your beast ring or late game your lillies. This is personal preference obviously.
I love and loathe Beast Ring at the same time, it's such a broken card, but it can hinder / brick your hands so often...
I would also play 1 more Acerola. Just so you can switch out your damaged naga for a non-damaged one. I really love this card, if you can heal one of your naga's, your ahead in the game already since it will take (normally!) 2 more additional turns before they can kill your main-beater.

I don't think you need Lele in this. My seven year old plays nearly the same deck, and I agree that it's nearly impossible to misplay which really helps. Acerola and max potion are definitely nice for healing the naganadels, he loves that 180hp-off Acerola.

I'd take out a few of the trainers to simplify some, particularly if you don't play Lele; too much going on there for a junior.

Thank you very much everyone for your comments and advices.

I have tried to think about everything that has been said, with the idea to make it as simple as possible for the kid. As @snoppy369 said, "too much going on for a junior" :)
I have increased the Max Potion and Acerola count, as it is the core strategy of the deck.
Ultra Dimension is maxed out for the same reason.

Pokémon - 14
4 Poipole
3 Naganadel GX
4 Stakataka GX
1 Dusk Mane Necrozma GX
1 Dusk Mane Necrozma
1 Kartana GX

Trainers - 36
4 Cynthia
4 Guzma
2 Lilie
2 Tate & Liza
3 Acerola
1 Mystery Treasure
3 Nest Ball
3 Max Potion
3 Beast Ring
1 Switch
1 Escape Rope
3 Choice Band
1 Energy Recycle System
1 Rescue Stretcher
4 Ultra Space

Energies - 10
9 Metal
1 Beast Energy Prism Star

I think it is a very nice list for a young player. That's nice of you, guys ! :)
Any other thoughts ?

Last edited:
Back