Suikoden (Konami)

Ty_Sylicus

Green Mouse >'.'<
suikoden.gif

Suikoden is a series of RPG games for PlayStation, PS2, and DS. These games are share a common theme of collapse and renewal.

In each game the hero (named and controlled by the player) seeks to gather all 108 Stars of Destiny (characters scattered across the land the player must find and meet certain parameters to recruit to their army), build a base of operations (usually in the ruins of an old castle of some kind), and ultimately lead us all to a happy ending (100+ hours later).

In the end the player's army and castle both grow strong enough to overcome the opposing force (AKA "bad guys") in the fight for whatever kingdom may be at stake.

As jokes aside, the games are mostly good and a lot of fun as well.

My first game was the original Suikoden for PS1. I owned an original-cased copy of both this game and Suikoden II, though sadly both were stolen and I never got to even *OPEN* the second game. (This is bitter irony as Suikoden II is most often hailed as the fan favorite of the series).

I then played, and loved, both Suikoden III and Suikoden Tierkreis (for DS) a few years back.

I'm currently playing, and enjoying, Suikoden V on PS2.

I heard Suikoden IV was sub-par and I'm unsure if I'll ever play it. Besides, the story takes place many, many years before the main stories in the other four games and also involves being on the ocean. [/size]

For many years the series has be dormant and even believed to be dead. However, at Tokyo Game Show 2011 Konami released a very short teaser trailer showing off a new Suikoden game for PSP (of all platforms??) named "Gensou Suikoden: Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki". I haven't looked up much news about it in a while though.

So, any fans of Suikoden here?

[size=x-small]References:
SuikoSource
Suikoden_Wikia

jesus christ YES I love this series

I've played I, II, and IV. II is by far the best in the series.

Also Suikoden Tierkreis is a huge waste of money. I bought it because, y'know, omg Suikoden title!!! And then it was garbage. I still beat it because I figure since I was stuck with it I might as well at least try to get my money's worth, but meh.

I will go into more detail about my experiences with IV later

no one else likes this series??? where's riskbreakers at

Anyway, IV wasn't too terrible. After playing I and II where you use a party of six, using a party of four was kinda off-putting. Unite attacks have to be learned over time (via fighting with that character in your party), which kinda sucks if you don't have a guide handy to figure out who unites with who.

Getting all 108 Stars is kind of a chore since there are at least two people who are missable. One of them has a fairly small window, if memory serves, and the other is with you for such a short time he just seems like a character meant to move the story along at the beginning of the game. You meet up with him at various points in your quest and each time you are offered the chance to kill him. If you do, you may as well hit reset because you just ruined your perfect game.

All in all it wasn't a terrible game, but I and II are definitely, absolutely better. Suikoden II remains one of my favorite games of all time. I don't really keep track of Suikoden news (since I, too, believed it to be dead) but if they're going to make a new one, cool. Tierkreis has got me skeptical on the whole idea, though.

Thx for the replies PMJ!

eeeerg! I wonder if I'll ever be able to play II. I just can't justify paying over 100$ for a copy on eBay. I'm *praying* that they'll release the game via the PSN or localize the new PSP re-release from Japan.

You didn't like Tierkreis? Really? That's too bad. I very much enjoyed the characters, plot, and setting in the game. I felt it was a great fit for the DS. The graphics and soundtrack were good as well. It wasn't that much different than the main series.

Well maybe I'll play IV someday when I start to miss the series a lot (which is why I've held off on playing V until now. Cost me 40$ used at a local pawn shop. The game is in near mint condition though :D ).

You should vote in the poll. :)

I love how you can play the game using the L1 button as [X] ! It's very helpful!

I just found my castle in Suikoden V. (Let's not do spoilers here). It's really cool! :D Though I do miss the older style of castles where they would grow and build as you added more Stars.

I used to watch my cousing play II, then helped him complete the 108 in III. These games are a very close second to Persona 4 but before I got to play Persona 4, these games were some of the most deep, complex and emotional stories of all.

^ Very cool. I enjoy the stories in Suikoden games as well as the searching for all the characters. :)

Back