Discussion States Meta: What to Play

dkatz2003

Aspiring Trainer
Hi so as you all probably know the rush for states is about to begin and I'm lost for deck choice(s). I just cant seem to get my mind on what to play because this is a new format and were going in without knowledge of past results. So the decks that I see doing good are Yvetal, MegaMan, Batman, trees, and maybe NM. I say maybe because of fighting fury belt. I need help deciding now so I can order stuff and play test like there is no tomorrow. Thanks for any help that I can get.

greninja, deck deals 260 per turn on average, blows up everything that doesn't streamline hex.

I would love to play it but It just seems really slow and if someone gets set up your practically dead.

Atm I haven't been testing with or against slow greninja lists, most of these lists have got 3-4 frogader out by turn 1-2 on average, and they are ready to shadow stich the turn afterwards. Most of the testing atm is more on taking out frogs and effectively using hex maniac. I definitely think it's worth while to check out the matchup for yourself sometime it's not anything like how you described it.

I think I am going to go to NY and Pennsylvania.
I am thinking of taking Houndoom Mill at the moment.
It is fun to play, and has success.
No real "auto-loss", but some tough matchups

Going to BC Provincials and Seattle.
probably playing Trevenant BREAK of M Mewtwo/Bronzong.
Trevenant BREAK is a BDIF contender, and M Mewtwo is what I have the cards for.

Atm I haven't been testing with or against slow greninja lists, most of these lists have got 3-4 frogader out by turn 1-2 on average, and they are ready to shadow stich the turn afterwards. Most of the testing atm is more on taking out frogs and effectively using hex maniac. I definitely think it's worth while to check out the matchup for yourself sometime it's not anything like how you described it.

I was playing a Greninja list for fun and you've basically lost at the beginning of the game if 2 of your Frogadiers are prized and they're able to take out your front one, and generally I'd see at least one of them prized during a game.

Going to BC Provincials and Seattle.
probably playing Trevenant BREAK of M Mewtwo/Bronzong.
Trevenant BREAK is a BDIF contender, and M Mewtwo is what I have the cards for.
Would you be willing to pm me a trev break list? I can send you mine and we can bounce around some ideas

I've heard people mentioning BatMan could be good, but I don't see how. It loses to Gallade, Mewtwo, MegaMan, Darkrai, Garchomp, and maybe Trev.

Mega Mewtwo seems really strong, especially with shrine of memories and a good list. Damage change on a M mewtwo is crazy, especially vs Batman and Toad Decks.

Mega Mewtwo seems really strong, especially with shrine of memories and a good list. Damage change on a M mewtwo is crazy, especially vs Batman and Toad Decks.
I was just thinking about that, it seems like a pretty good counter to trev which will no doubt be popular. It could beat trev easily because of damage change and vanishing strike, because there will almost always be a stadium in play, be it valley or shrine. It's only disadvantage is Wobuffet, but lysandre can help snipe the bench if mewtwo already has sufficient damage on it. It also doesn't have too many bad match ups, night March is the only one that comes to mind, but I could be wrong.

Toad/Giratina/Milotic or Night March/ Milotic
=Milotic is BCIF and a real MVP
I would have said that night March is a good play for any tournament but with bursting balloon and startling megaphone popular, night March gets wrecked if it runs out of FFB. Especially against trev, where it can OHKO a Joltik without a FFB. If trev gets t1 item lock, it's almost always over right there. Milotic is a great card but it gets shut down by hex and Wobuffet.

I would have said that night March is a good play for any tournament but with bursting balloon and startling megaphone popular, night March gets wrecked if it runs out of FFB. Especially against trev, where it can OHKO a Joltik without a FFB. If trev gets t1 item lock, it's almost always over right there. Milotic is a great card but it gets shut down by hex and Wobuffet.
Bursting Balloon in played only is lock decks. How night march have won big tournament without FFB? If it is so big deal to lose it of Starling Megaphone. If he/she goes first and get t1 trevenant i pretty much lose. Milotic is MVP was only a joke :D. But i dont think Hex or Wobbufet be a big problem on late game or ever.

I will most likely be playing BatMan(if I make a states) or Raichu/Bats. But I am open to some other stuff like Gallade/Octillery.

I will most likely be playing BatMan(if I make a states) or Raichu/Bats. But I am open to some other stuff like Gallade/Octillery.
Gallade/Octillery is shaping up really good with an optional 1-1 garchomp tech I've tested, but with the amount of trevenant and greninja gimmicks flying around, I'd say it isn't the best choice at the moment.

You might want something safe and heavy hitting. Maybe Mega-Man + Garbodor?

How about Seismatoad/giratina just troll your opponent with the different locks. Plus, now we have puzzle of time.

Back