State of the Names

Does the lack of creative names bother you?

• Total voters

Decmaster

Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.
Recently, I have been wondering about the "creative" naming of decks in the format. This may sound confusing, but here I go.

Well, most of the decks in HGSS-on have names that are a combination of the cards that make it up. For instance:

ZPS – Zekrom, Pachirisu, Shaymin
DonChamp – Donphan, Machamp
ReshiBoar – Reshiram, Emboar
MagneBoar – Magnezone, Emboar
MegaZone – Yanmega, Magnezone
LostGar – Lost World, Gengar

I wonder why players are so uncreative these days. I mean, back in the past, we had (I really didn't play much back in DP-on, so give me some slack here):

Plox
HoPe

You know, names that resembled the deck while still being original and creative.

This is some of the stuff that could be done to change this:

VVV (Vanillux/Victini/Vileplume) – Teeth (Because it looks like teeth! Also, frostbite because Vanillux is cold), or maybe Burning Snowcone (Because of Vanillux/Victini)
DonChamp – Mach 1 (Because Mach from Machamp and it's a Turn 1 deck…)

Does the lack of creative names bother anyone else?

(This post is rather unorganized…)

Zekrom and Reshiram decks are usually called Black/White Out, respectively.

It's not that people aren't creative, it's just that there aren't many names that can easily describe the decks.

Everyone should just call their decks "SUPERAWESOMERIFICPWNAGEBETTERTHANYOUDECK"

Definition of Name from Merriam-Webster

a word or phrase that constitutes the distinctive designation of a person or thing

As long as people know what you are talking about, I doubt the name really matters.

Yes, but if everyone named their kid Bob, wouldn't it get a bit boring? (Bad analogy, I know =P )

No offense to anyone named Bob…

MegaZone= Megatron
Inverted Megazone(heavier Zone than Mega)= OPTIMUS PRIME =)

(second name created by me, Optimus prime is the good to megatron's bad in transformers.)
450th post. Not that anyone cares.

I would call Victini/Vileplume/Vanilluxe V-Create. I came up with this when I first saw Vanilluxe, all of their names start with V and it's Victini's signature move. I call the Feraligatr/Samurott deck I play Feral Otter XD. I like creative names, but it helps that people know what you're talking about. If someone was talking about "Garfield" when it was a MewGar deck, I would be so confused.

Well... here's the problem. Creative names hardly ever catch on.

Think about this scenario: how many people would think to call Reshiram+Emboar "ReshiBoar?" We'll say in a group of 100 people who build the deck without hearing a name for it, at least 40 will come up with "ReshiBoar" off the top of their heads (probably more, since there aren't really any portmanteaus that sound good with "Reshiram" and "Emboar"). So those 30 people go around calling it ReshiBoar, whereas there are some other names floating around that aren't used a whole lot. What will happen is this: if someone hears 4/10 of people call the combination of Reshiram and Emboar "ReshiBoar," that person will likely call it ReshiBoar as well. And it all snowballs until that's THE name. Same thing with other decks– usually it's something that's easily and widely thought of.

The names we have in the meta aren't particularly of any importance. It's probably best to have the name of the Pokémon in the name of the deck; it just makes it much easier to communicate that way. Just my two cents.

I don't think it matters that much as long as its a good deck.

Plox is Psychic Lock just shortened. Not in origanal name if you ask me. Its also called GG btw.

Its also easier to just say ZPS instead if some other name. People will know what your talking about too.

glaceon said:
Plox is Psychic Lock just shortened.
I was unaware of this. I didn't really play in that time. However, it's still a better name than Gardevoir + (Other main attacker here).

I guess... there were many other names though.

the other attacker is Gallade.

Scizorliscious said:

Think about this scenario: how many people would think to call Reshiram+Emboar "ReshiBoar?" We'll say in a group of 100 people who build the deck without hearing a name for it, at least 40 will come up with "ReshiBoar" off the top of their heads (probably more, since there aren't really any portmanteaus that sound good with "Reshiram" and "Emboar"). So those 30 people go around calling it ReshiBoar, whereas there are some other names floating around that aren't used a whole lot. What will happen is this: if someone hears 4/10 of people call the combination of Reshiram and Emboar "ReshiBoar," that person will likely call it ReshiBoar as well. And it all snowballs until that's THE name. Same thing with other decks– usually it's something that's easily and widely thought of.

The names we have in the meta aren't particularly of any importance. It's probably best to have the name of the Pokémon in the name of the deck; it just makes it much easier to communicate that way. Just my two cents.

I know I don't post in TCG sections much anymore but this ^ is why we don't get creative names anymore. It is also because creative names usually only come along when a deck is rogue and a skilled player makes it popular by a name of their own.

And that's why I name all my decks something interesting or hilarious, e.g. RegiAwesome, Bamfstoise, and right now I'm running Speed World (which is a Lost World deck built for speed).

Because, yes, the stupidity of names makes me very, very sad.

Also, the best name for Reshiram+Emboar is "Rambo".

I don't really think names change the game IMO, it's just a perk that people like to "intimidate" the opponent. If your deck's name is something like ROFL(Reshiram Owns For Life), then your opponent will probably laugh. Reshiboar or Reshiphlosion will probably scare them just a bit. It's not a big deal, really.

On the topic of giving creative names, I call any donk deck "Poker Face." I used to have a kid at league who loved donk decks, and when the idea of Sabledonk came up he built a list that won him many games, and every game he won by donking, he would try to make his best poker face.

Also, I guess I would name a few decks after a move in the VG(eg. Blue Flame), or a move in the TCG that is either old or new(eg. Super Connectivity).

blargh257 said:
MegaZone= Megatron
Inverted Megazone(heavier Zone than Mega)= OPTIMUS PRIME =)

(second name created by me, Optimus prime is the good to megatron's bad in transformers.)
450th post. Not that anyone cares.

I care :)

Scizorliscious said:

yup you nailed it. as far as the meta goes, I'm cool with the names just generalizing...it does make things easier, but like DNA, I make my own names for my rogue decks

some examples are:
"The Chosion Nine" = CHarizard, typhlOSION and NINEtales (back in the pre-BW days...then a basic version of charizard came out and goodbye old fire dragon...hello new fire dragon [what? pokemon guys copied themselves...no way....])
"Speed Beetle" = illumise/volbeat
"Baby Face" = fun deck I made consisting of only baby pokemon....either I win or my opponent does, but either way....it's a fast game. perfect for good laughs and fast league prizes at nats/hometown league :)

I definitely encourage people to come up with their own names for decks and I try to follow them with it. except for black out/white out....they just copied mountain dew....which is just as bad or worse than an unoriginal generalized meta-name.

P.S. props to whoever can figure out what kind of deck "shamoo" is :) and if you can give me 2 of the 3 main pokemon in it, then I'll put your name in my signature area with props. I'll even give a hint: this can be made by the end of this year. (NOTE: please only respond via message...don't want this thread to go off track but figured I can do this since it has to do with creative deck names)

Back