Spoinkettele: Sleep Lock

blaZofgold

Romans 8:38-39
I think the most overlooked and underrated status condition is Sleep. Sure, you think that it's a 50% curable condition like burn. But Sleep has some amazing attributes, such as:

A. Not letting your opponent attack
B. Not letting your opponent retreat
C. Giving your opponent a chance to heal itself both BEFORE and AFTER their turn, allowing you to plan your strategy accordingly.

Obviously, B is the most important one. Seriously, some Pokemon Professors I met didn't even know that...(it was even in the beginner rulebooks found in theme decks...)

So, using the awesome power of Sleep, we can utilize an amazing lock strategy:

77-spoink.jpg

Gothitelle – Psychic – HP130
Stage 2 – Evolves from Gothorita
Ability: Magic Room
As long as this Pokemon is in the Active position, your opponent can’t play any Goods cards from his or her hand.
[C][C][C] Mad Kinesis: Does 30 damage plus an additional 20 damage times the number of Psychic Energy attached to this Pokemon.
Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

OK, here goes.

The strategy is to Sleep Pearl with Spoink, and then switch to Gothitelle. Gothitelle will Trainer Lock them regardless, preventing Scoop Ups, Switches, Catchers, etc. So if the opponent's Pokemon is Asleep, they'll be successfully locked into doing nothing but attaching an Energy and using a Supporter. Genius.

OK, I know what you're thinking. It's only a 50% chance, right? Well, do realize that Gothitelle is not just some weak frail Pokemon. It has a great 130 HP, along with an amazing move that should be doing 90 damage for 3 energy. Even if the opponent DOES wake up, they'll still be trainer locked and hard-pressed to find a way to OHKO Gothitelle; remember, Plus Powers won't work (HAHA ZEKROM).

So either way, your opponent will be stuck with limited choices while you have the full opportunity to attack, retreat, heal, kill, do whatever.

It's a great strategy on its own, but with a little help...

Enter Dodrio. It's preferred so you can setup easier. Metagross UL would work as well, but that's a Stage 2 (Although it will last much longer and can do some great damage). Dodrio allows Gothitelle to retreat for free, allowing the Sleep Pearl combo to be used indefinitely. You have to choose between Sleep Pearling and Mad Kinesis-ing, but having Dodrio can give you that freedom.

Enter Serperior. It has the awesome ability Royal Heal, which is basically the return of Nidoqueen. A 1-1-1 line helps keep Gothitelle in great shape, as well as stopping many snipers from doing their job.

The advantage of this over traditional Vileplume lock is that you have the freedom to use Trainers as well. Feel free to give the Spoink an Eviolite, the Gothitelle a Rocky Helmet, and use as many Communications and Junk Arms as you like.

Any comments? All are appreciated! Thanks in advance!

It's a pity Victini can't affect the opponent's flips for sleep, this would be a good deck if it did. I don't really know if Serperior is worth it in this deck, though.

The only problem I can see is the sleeping doesn't really hurt your opponent so much. You put him to sleep and Switch, but then the chances your opponent will wake up by his next turn are very high. All it does is take a turn up for both you and your opponent. And your opponent could STILL wake up before his turn (50% chance), meaning you've wasted an opportunity to get good damage on him.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Spoink really doesn't matter, and that it'll almost always just be a waste of a turn. You could be attacking with Gothitelle, because 50% of the time, the sleep won't even matter, and the rest of the time, you've taken an attack just to put your opponent to Sleep. It wastes a turn for both players. I think this deck would just be better if you played straight Gothitelle. What is the Spoink even gaining you, other than the 1 in 8 chance you get to attack twice if your opponent flips triple tails on Sleep. Actually, less, because your opponent can still evolve to get rid of Sleep.

Stall is a good word for what I'm aiming for. Diversity is another. The Spoink is more like a tech; it benefits Gothitelle in many ways. For example, say Gothitelle was injured and you wanted it to have some rest and heal. You can use Sleep Pearl and get the 50% stall so you can heal more.

I've always been a big fan of sleep, ever since I used Bulbasaur SW with its no cost Sleep move. It's especially helpful earlier on, when even if they DO flip heads, they still can't do much.

Okay, I see your point. I guess with Serperior it matters a lot more than otherwise.

I'd say bump it up to 2-2-2 Serperior. That card does get insanely annoying, and as long as you're healing 40 damage/turn, your opponent can't get much done.

Use it with reuniculus, zekrom, reshiram, max potion. in most cases your opponent cannot OHKO you without Plus Powers. then swap damage counters to your zek/reshi then max potion lol

tc19930815 said:
Use it with reuniculus, zekrom, reshiram, max potion. in most cases your opponent cannot OHKO you without Plus Powers. then swap damage counters to your zek/reshi then max potion lol

That would be a good idea if you could make it fast. Quickly getting out 2 stage 2s is not easy-that's why magneboar turned out to not work well.

Back