Split Stadiums

totodile_it_down

Rogue Life
Has anyone ever successfully ran two different Stadiums in a deck while playing competitively?

In my Manectric EX/Yveltal EX deck I run two Shadow Circle in order to circumvent popular Fighting decks/Lightning counters. I don't love it, but it works well enough some of the time. I faced a situation where I was up against another Yveltal EX deck that also ran Shadow Circle, leaving me unable to capitalize on his weakness to my Manectric EX because I was unable to remove his Shadow Circle given that I run the same Stadium.

Is it worth it to make room for another counter Stadium or will it make my deck too inconsistent to matter?

It really depends on the specifics of the deck. In the Fighting / Garbodor deck that I ran before Phantom Forces became legal, I ran two Virbank Citiy Gyms and a single Fighting Stadium. I would generally use whichever one gave me more of an an advantage. That particular deck two each of Mewtwo-EX and Seismitoad-EX along with Fighting staples Hawlucha FFI and Landorus-EX, so I was easily able to take advantage of both stadiums. In that case, Fighting Stadium gave a nice damage boost that allowed me to conserve Hynotoxic Lasers for important KOs. However, I also had the advantage of dropping Virbank against Donphan or a mirror match to deny the damage boost to my opponent (not all Fighting decks ran Laserbank).

And that's just one example. As far as your deck idea goes, Shadow Circle is a good play, but be careful since it's a "passive" stadium, and the weakness negation can be taken away if your opponent plays another Stadium. That's especially important against Donphan, since that can easily destory a M-Manectric. Donphan is the only Fighting deck that's currently makinga big scene right now, but it is one of the most popular decks in format. Laserbank couples well with Yveltal, if you can manage the four slots for Lasers and 2-3 slots for Virbank. I'd suggest starting with a 2-2 breakdown of Virbank and Shadow Circle and seeing which one you end up using the most often. Eventually you should shift to a 3-1 or 2-1 in either direction based on playtesting results.

Thanks Keldeo. I was thinking along the exact same lines. A 2-1 Shadow Circle/Virbank. I don't at all rely on Shadow Circle but simply use it as a counter Stadium (I simply don't play Manectric EX when up against a Fighting deck) to remove Virbank/Fighting Stadium/Dimensional Valley etc... I had only been playing the 2 Shadow Circle so it's going to be hard to find room to squeeze in a third Stadium.

I would be content running straight LaserBank but I found myself at an enormous disadvantage against Toad decks when doing so. I wish there were more neutral Stadiums I could rely on that essentially didn't help either player in any crucial way. I'm almost considering running 2 Aspertia City Gym since no one really uses Normal types currently (M Kangaskhan EX maybe?) and would act perfectly as the neutralizer I'm seeking. Mountain Ring was another consideration but Darkrai and Manectric deliver bench damage occasionally. Magnectic Storm would be hurtful because Yveltal is resistant to Fighting and Manectric combats Metal, both of which are pretty popular right now. If Champions Festival wasn't so expensive I'd use those XD.

Thanks again for the response!

Mountain Ring, Champions Festival, and Magnetic Storm are all bad. The only viable split to my knowledge right now is like with 2 Virbank in a deck with lasers and 1 of a situational stadium like Fighting Stadium (in big basics), Fairy garden (in decks with rainbow like plasma) or Shadow Circle in yveltal.

Mr Mime is superior to Mtn Ring. Festival is inferior to the plethora of healing Items. Resistance isn't a big enough deal to run Magnetic Storm. Aspertia is ok, but the only thing that can really abuse it is Kang, which is played with need of heavy fairy Garden.

The reason most Stadiums like Magnetic Storm and Mountain Ring is because the effects can be easily reached through other means, and/or because there is always the risk of losing you Stadium to an opposing one. Though, I do think that the rotation is going to make a lot more choices available for Stadium use, since Virbank will be out of the picture, along with (my guess) everything else from Black and White.

grantm1999 said:
Mountain Ring, Champions Festival, and Magnetic Storm are all bad. The only viable split to my knowledge right now is like with 2 Virbank in a deck with lasers and 1 of a situational stadium like Fighting Stadium (in big basics), Fairy garden (in decks with rainbow like plasma) or Shadow Circle in yveltal.

Mr Mime is superior to Mtn Ring. Festival is inferior to the plethora of healing Items. Resistance isn't a big enough deal to run Magnetic Storm. Aspertia is ok, but the only thing that can really abuse it is Kang, which is played with need of heavy fairy Garden.

Oh they're all definitely bad haha. What I was saying is that I would just like a bad Stadium that would essentially serve the sole purpose of pushing out an opponent's Stadium while not hurting my own game play. I don't find my deck needing the boost a Stadium would usually offer, but more so just needing to take away the advantage my opponent gains by playing theirs (hopefully that makes sense). I've currently settled on using 2 Shadow Circle and 1 Virbank City Gym to best suit my needs in a specific matchup.

Thanks so much for all the replies! The new set looks to have a variety of new and useful Stadiums. Is it February yet?? :D

I run two Dimension Valley, two Virbank (+4 lasers), and a frozen city in my deck. My attackers generally only need a single energy. It's situational. Start out with Laserbank, or energy attach and frozen city, then Dimension at the end. Wins the stadium wars against fairy decks. :)

I've always thought it was weird to have different stadiums. But I'm gonna try it out some day, hopefully some better stadium cards come out for dark decks. And grass decks need one too!

Back