• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Speed Lugia EX Toolbox (Lugia EX / Deoxys EX / Eevee)

Gengar master said:
I think Triad is good for the deck because it makes it really easy to do back to back Plasma Gales. All if you have to do is play it to get the Plasma Energy and you can Plasma Gale again.

I will look into Latias EX. Seems like a great card for the purposes I want it for.

Going to add target whistle for sure.

I still don´t know if Triad is better than Thundurus, but Enhanced Hammer is a thing again and I guess that makes Triad less risky too.

I´m running Speed Lugia for Cities and ,looking at the results, it´s not looking too popular atm. I honestly don´t understand why poeple don´t play this anymore. How is taking 3 prizes for each knockout not viable?
E: Charizardlounge even made a tier list that places this under Night March. I honestly don't get it.

yorepoor said:
Gengar master said:
I think Triad is good for the deck because it makes it really easy to do back to back Plasma Gales. All if you have to do is play it to get the Plasma Energy and you can Plasma Gale again.

I will look into Latias EX. Seems like a great card for the purposes I want it for.

Going to add target whistle for sure.

I still don´t know if Triad is better than Thundurus, but Enhanced Hammer is a thing again and I guess that makes Triad less risky too.

I´m running Speed Lugia for Cities and ,looking at the results, it´s not looking too popular atm. I honestly don´t understand why poeple don´t play this anymore. How is taking 3 prizes for each knockout not viable?
E: Charizardlounge even made a tier list that places this under Night March. I honestly don't get it.

Yea this deck is still really strong. Winning in 2-3 Turns is really great. Well..we will just be the ones winning Cities, you and I ;)

Gengar master said:
yorepoor said:

Yea this deck is still really strong. Winning in 2-3 Turns is really great. Well..we will just be the ones winning Cities, you and I ;)

Yes, we're going to show the world :cool:
Oh, and btw you might want to test running 2 Lugias. You have a higher risk of one of them becoming prized, but you have Victini as an alternative attacker. I personally run 2 in a deck that relies on Lugia a lot more and I don't remember having both of them prized. You run Plasma Balls, so it won't be a problem that you can't draw into it.

I would suggest:
-1 Lugia EX
+1 Plasma Ball (I know you would be running 5 searching balls, but in order to have a lugia active, 4 deoxys benched you need lots of searching balls)

Oh and I figured I might as well just link what I'm planning to run atm, maybe you can see something you wanna use or if you have any tips you can post them there :D

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-bcr-on-lugia-ex-kyurem

Made some more changes. I keep getting destroyed online. Is this deck consistent enough? Good enough to beat metal decks?

I think you should hold onto this setup. A Victini line like this is going to be extremely useful when PrC releases and VirGen goes through the roof. I suspect your consistency issues might come from the Eevees. As badly as I want an Eevee line to fit into Lugia, it just seems like it's always better on its own. Especially if you use Target/Lysandre. Just make it as fast as possible (Bicycle = God) and grab the 3 first kills that become available.

FaustVIII said:
I think you should hold onto this setup. A Victini line like this is going to be extremely useful when PrC releases and VirGen goes through the roof. I suspect your consistency issues might come from the Eevees. As badly as I want an Eevee line to fit into Lugia, it just seems like it's always better on its own. Especially if you use Target/Lysandre. Just make it as fast as possible (Bicycle = God) and grab the 3 first kills that become available.

Are you suggesting no Eevee Evos? This deck struggles against Seismitoad EX and Aegislash EX, so I would want an answer as those are going to be popular in Cities.

So no Victini EX for now? I like it to counter Aegislash EX.

Is Thundurus EX worth running 1 copy of?

Personally I don't like Thundurus, but I get what it's about.
My general thought here is that you shouldn't need to attack things you can't kill. Even with the Eevees. If you run into Seismitoad, you should get up some quick energies and Lysandre around him to grab kills where you can. Same with Aegislash.
Putting in counters for this and that just doesn't seem worth it compared to drawpower/speed when you're guaranteed to win in 3 KO's. Of course, Latias is nice for when people want to stall you out, but other than that I'd keep the Poke line clean.

If VirGen is big in your meta, keep the Victini, otherwise I'd replace it with Scramble Switch and a Bike until February.

FaustVIII said:
Personally I don't like Thundurus, but I get what it's about.
My general thought here is that you shouldn't need to attack things you can't kill. Even with the Eevees. If you run into Seismitoad, you should get up some quick energies and Lysandre around him to grab kills where you can. Same with Aegislash.
Putting in counters for this and that just doesn't seem worth it compared to drawpower/speed when you're guaranteed to win in 3 KO's. Of course, Latias is nice for when people want to stall you out, but other than that I'd keep the Poke line clean.

If VirGen is big in your meta, keep the Victini, otherwise I'd replace it with Scramble Switch and a Bike until February.

I am not sure what is big in my metagame. Just getting back but I will take out Victini EX

You might want to try using Seismitoad in this deck. Quacking Punch really allows you to safely set upt Lugia. Those unwinnable Seismitoad matchups? The become favorable. Let me explain.

Seismitoad vs Seismitoad
Your seismitoad gets knocked out
Your lugia has had plent of opportunities to power up while you Punched him and he was safe from hammer

This works against other decks too, blocking your opponent while powering up Lugia.

yorepoor said:
You might want to try using Seismitoad in this deck. Quacking Punch really allows you to safely set upt Lugia. Those unwinnable Seismitoad matchups? The become favorable. Let me explain.

Seismitoad vs Seismitoad
Your lugia has had plent of opportunities to power up while you Punched him and he was safe from hammer

This works against other decks too, blocking your opponent while powering up Lugia.

It's funny because that was my first idea when constructing this deck. However, the deck will be cluttered because I want the Eevee Evos and Deoxys EX as well. I think I will try 1 or 2 copts like I was planning but it might not end up in my final list.

Gengar master said:
yorepoor said:

Seismitoad vs Seismitoad

It's funny because that was my first idea when constructing this deck. However, the deck will be cluttered because I want the Eevee Evos and Deoxys EX as well. I think I will try 1 or 2 copts like I was planning but it might not end up in my final list.
mmk, make sure to check it out if you're having trouble setting up lugia with all the hammers and lasers and stuff though. Probably not really for this list anyways since you're running lots of pokemon already.

Gengar master said:
Pokemon: (13)

• x3 Lugia EX LT/PLS
    x2 Eevee SoE
    x2 Leafeon PLF (For opposing Seismitoad EXs)
    x1 Glaceon PLF (Pyroar)
    x4 Deoxys EX PLF
    x1 Seismitoad EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: (34)

• x3 N
    x4 Professor Juniper
    x1 Shauna
    x1 Skyla
    x2 Lysandre
    x2 Colress

x1 Comp Search
    x2 Bicycle
    x3 Colress Machine
    x2 Switch
    x1 Target Whistle
    x4 Team Plasma Ball
    x2 VS Seeker
    x3 Plasma Frigate
    x3 Muscle Band
Energy: (13)

• x4 DCE
    x4 Plasma
    x3 Water
    x2 Psychic
IMO, the omission of Kyurem (PF) and Shadow Triad will prove quite harmful in some key match-ups. This Poké is also very useful as a starter and in setting up opponents' Poké for Plasma Gale attacks. Consider being able to snipe Phanpys and/or Donphans. And a potential Blizzard Burn attack will potentially 1HKO big HP EXs.

When you need to retrieve a discarded Plasma Frigate (for example), Shadow Triad provides that capability (as well several others).

Also, how do you plan to get your Eevees out quickly? I'd suggest you consider replacing 1 of the 4 TP Balls with a PF Club.

You may want to include a Professor's Letter too in order to get the needed Basic energy.

All of that I agree with.

I will be making edits now. I don't like Poke Fan Club because Eeveesaren't the priority, only in certain match ups. I actually didn't mean to take out Shadow Triad. I really like that card.

I want to add Kyurem but what do I take out?

Gengar master said:
All of that I agree with.

I will be making edits now. I don't like Poke Fan Club because Eeveesaren't the priority, only in certain match ups. I actually didn't mean to take out Shadow Triad. I really like that card.

I want to add Kyurem but what do I take out?

I'd say you choose either Kyurem or Eeveelutions at this point. It's true that Kyurem is good, but we gotta remember guys: this is about Lugia. I run Kyurem as an alternate attacker in my deck, sure, but I don't think we should add anything that doesn't add anything to the main point of this deck.
I think the way this deck should play is:
Get out your Toad as quickly as possible and if you can't, power Lugia up without Toad.
If you play against an Hammer heavy deck or Pyroar or something try and attack with leafeon,

I just don't feel like Kyurem is necessary to "fit in". You can take out the Eeveelutions , but I honestly think you should play your deck the way you want. If you think Eeveelutions works better for you, don't. Make sure to try both though.

Okay I might have said just a few days back that you shouldn't run Trump, but that was given you would run Thundurus. If you don't want to run Thundurus, I think Trump will be definitely worth it. I have been trying it out, and it's winning me games. It also allows you to make more room, since you don't need to run 3 counterstadiums. You can just Trump Card it back. Of course, this gives your opponent his stadiums back too but since most decks that rely on Stadiums run 3 it's not that big of a deal. When all your Plasmas get Hammered it's nice to be able to quickly get all of them back, which is something Triad can't do. It might seem weird to run both Triad and Trump but it doesn't get in the way when I play my deck, which runs Thundurus, so it probably won't be that big of a deal. If you feel it's not working out, I personally would rather get rid of the Triad
I also think you should really run an Ultra Ball at this point. You're running 3 pokes that you can't get with a Plasma Ball and you can still use it on Plasma pokemon. Losing resources isn't that big of a deal with Trump Card anyways.

Awesome. I will take out a Plasma Frigate for a Trump Card. About Kyurem: Just wanted to make sure it wasn't absolutely necessary to use as I can see it helpful a lot. I will add another Seismitoad EX as well.

TuxedoBlack said:
IMO, the omission of Kyurem (PF) and Shadow Triad will prove quite harmful in some key match-ups. This Poké is also very useful as a starter and in setting up opponents' Poké for Plasma Gale attacks. Consider being able to snipe Phanpys and/or Donphans. And a potential Blizzard Burn attack will potentially 1HKO big HP EXs.

It'll be interesting to see, in the new meta, how big Mega Evolutions will become. As it stands, playing Frozen City and capping Lugia at 180 damage (Band + 4 Deoxys) will take out pretty much anything without needing a secondary attacker. However, anything over 200 will really screw it over, which makes Kyurem extremely useful if (when) Groudon and Kyogre get popular. The resistance from VirGen is problematic though.

FaustVIII said:
TuxedoBlack said:

It'll be interesting to see, in the new meta, how big Mega Evolutions will become. As it stands, playing Frozen City and capping Lugia at 180 damage (Band + 4 Deoxys) will take out pretty much anything without needing a secondary attacker. However, anything over 200 will really screw it over, which makes Kyurem extremely useful if (when) Groudon and Kyogre get popular. The resistance from VirGen is problematic though.
That's why I decided to not actually use Kyurem. It can be helpful but focusing on the Eevee Evos are more important.

Yesterday, I competed in a CC tournament in Wisconsin and ran the following version of this thread's subject deck:

Pokémon (16)
4 Deoxys EX
3 Eevee (PLF 90)
1 Flareon (PLF)
1 Glaceon (PLF)
2 Kyurem (PLF)
2 Leafeon (PLF)
3 Lugia EX

Trainers (31)
2 Bicycle
1 Cassius
2 Colress
3 Colress Machine
1 Computer Search
2 Frozen City
2 Lysandre
1 Lysandre's Trump Card
3 N
1 Pokémon Center Lady
1 Pokémon Fan Club
3 Professor Juniper
1 Professor's Letter
2 Shadow Triad
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Target Whistle
2 Team Ball
2 VS Seeker

Energy (13)
4 DC
4 Plasma
2 Psychic
3 Water

My thoughts/experience about this deck going into this tournament:

• I knew/expected that I had to be able to compete against many top decks played in my area including Donphan, FairyBox, Garbodor (and Friends), MetalBox (Bronzong-Dialga-Aegislash), Night March, Pyroar, Seismitoad (and Friends), VirGen, and Yveltal-Seismitoad.
  • My deck-building/playing style is that most, if not all, of my deck's Poké can be utilized as attackers when needed.
  • In general, the deck had decent-to-favorable match-ups against the above-mentioned top decks.
  • With "lots" of homogeneous attackers, the deck is very versatile and allows me to easily adapt different game strategies I may want to employ.
  • My strategy of this deck was one where I would essentially start (hopefully) with a Kyurem and/or Eevee and start attacking as soon as possible in order to setup multi-prize targets for my Lugia EXs. Interesting enough, my Eeveelutions were used as my designated "assassins" to KO opponents' strategic targets. Given their relatively low HP, the Eeveelutions were typically KOd in response.
  • A decision had been made to omit Thundurus EX all together and any associated L energy since I found that I just did not want TEX to provide energy attachment acceleration while getting pounded and/or KOd easily by the F decks. This change also allowed me to eliminate the Rainbow energy I originally had in the deck too. Another benefit resulted from this change: fewer targets for my opponents' Enhanced Hammers.
Why these particular Poké:
  • Running 4 Deoxys EXs is crucial for the enhanced damage output. In addition, DEX is an excellent attacker too. Don't ever underestimate the potential threat a benched, Plasma-energy attached Deoxys EX has upon an opponent... (made my opponent not KO my Eevee and retreat his starting Mewtwo EX with an attached DCE... lol).
  • The particular Eevee I run are PLF 90. This Eevee has 60 HP versus the FuF Eevee which only has 50 HP. Even though the FuF Eevee can immediately evolve via its Energy Evolution Ability, I've found that more often than not that: a) the additional 10 HP was more critical early game; and b) too many (IMO) resources were typically expended to get the needed 1 Eeveelution. Running 3 Eevees worked quite well.
  • The sole Flareon is particulary useful in VirGen and MetalBox match-ups. The 2-for-1 prize exchange, as well as removing opponents' substantial amounts of energy out of play proved to be advantageous.
  • Glaceon not only reduced my other Team Plasma Poké retreat cost by CC (clutch in some situations when you need to preserve attached energy), it also allowed me to "buy time" when an opponent could not attack due to Glaceon attack's effect. For me, a count of 1 was the right choice.
  • IMO, Kyurem is the best attacker of the Team Plasma Poké group; it exemplifies "awesomeness." These are sooo very useful in sniping opponents' benched Poké to ensure they can't just "hide" there and feel "safe" or "immune" from/to attacks. Secondly, a Blizzard Burn can potentially KO an EX Poké. The 2 I run work well for me; otherwise running 1 more or less would significantly alter my deck and strategy.
  • Leafeon continues to be the bane of Seismitoad EX and any other deck/Poké that may "stockpile" energy. This very versatile attacker made one opponent (running MetalBox) discard both his Seismitoad EXs (when using an Ultra Ball) - he had 8 energy in play at the time.
  • Lugia EX can easily tip a game to my favor quickly. In targeting opponents' main Poké (hopefully with lots of attached energy) with my supporting cast, Lugia EX can then be deployed to sweep the remaining Poké. In most games, I did not need more than 2 Lugia EXs; so, I now wonder if 1 should be replaced.
Why certain Trainers:

• This deck, like many others, "wants" to go first. The idea is go through the deck and setup quickly. The 2 Bicycles provide supplementary, Item-based, card draw support.
  • Cassius serves several purposes: can remove a wounded Poké from my field (thus providing prize denial), can take an annoying Head Ringer attached to one of my Poké out of play, and recover my status-affected or "marooned" active Poké.
  • Given that I want to employ certain "speed" tactics, Computer Search is the preferred ACE Spec to use.
  • I decided upon incorporating a Lysandre's Trump Card as a means of recovering and recycling discarded resources, as well as a counter to Night March decks (should they get a faster start).
  • Running Cassius and/or Pokémon Center Lady have been used successfully to tilt the game-winning scales in my favor. There are no Switch in this deck; so, PCL is very useful in keeping my active Poké healthy and attacking.
  • I assumed there would be more Item-lock activity; so, I decided to run Pokémon Fan Club in order to facilitate my bench setup.
  • Target Whistle is a "sneaky" tactic I used to recover an opponent's discarded Poké and place it back onto his/her bench in order to occupy a valuable bench spot and/or to Lysandre and KO that same again. Great tactic to use against opponent's low HP EX Poké, like Jirachi EX.
My thoughts/learnings/experience going forward after this tournament (in priority sequence):

• 1) The deck performed well, despite my 2 game-losing misplays (always double-check your math - lol).
    2) A second Flareon will be incorporated into the deck; only one is just insufficient in battling against either VirGen or MetalBox decks.
    3) A third VS Seeker will also be incorporated into the deck. Having access to an extra, needed "third" Lysandre, Shadow Triad, etc. is just too good to do without.
    4) I did forget to swap out the 2 Frozen City Stadiums for Plasma Frigate which would have been more useful, especially in the MetalBox match-ups.
    5) I plan to revert back to utilizing Ultra Balls perhaps to increase setup speed further.
    6) There are about 3 card slots that I deem are eligible for potential replacement for other tech cards. I am considering incorporating and play-testing techs like Hard Charms and Energy Switch. A "150" HP Kyurem and/or unexpected Blizzard Burn can be devastating to an opponent.
I hope you find these comments helpful in improving your deck and/or game strategy (lmk if you want me to expound upon my strategy/approach to any particular match-up).

TuxedoBlack said:
Yesterday, I competed in a CC tournament in Wisconsin and ran the following version of this thread's subject deck:..I hope you find these comments helpful in improving your deck and/or game strategy (lmk if you want me to expound upon my strategy/approach to any particular match-up).

Thanks a lot for this, I'm gonna play Lugia too and this will help a lot. Just want to confirm: 3 Lugia is definitely overkill. 2 is the magic number.

Back