• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Solgaleo GX/Newgaleo GX Deck List + Explanation

Right right, thanks for reminding me. I'm not used to have 2 same name GXs yet.

Perhaps this is the right time to consider splashing this Newgaleo GX into other decks as opposed to using it with Solgaleo GX solely for the reason that a 2/2 split is the best you can ever achieve in a pure build.

Yeah I did the same thing when I was brewing when it was first spoiled. I had a 3/2 split in my list until I realized they had the same name.

2/2 doesn't seem great from a consistency standpoint, so it'll be interesting to see where this Newgaleo ultimately ends up settling in the meta.

Yeah I did the same thing when I was brewing when it was first spoiled. I had a 3/2 split in my list until I realized they had the same name.

2/2 doesn't seem great from a consistency standpoint, so it'll be interesting to see where this Newgaleo ultimately ends up settling in the meta.

If nothing else, it makes the Olivia pick probably one of the best picks for this deck in particular. Mallow is potentially good as well if you keep the Zoroark line, but she's not as flexible.

I like the idea of Olivia and grabbing two GXs to evolve Cosmeoms who are already out, or even if you've got a rare candy or two in hand -- however would there be a benefit to a card or two of Wally; expediting the evolution line a turn -- for 1.

Maybe a line of something like 2/1 Olivia, Wally

Slight revival of this old thread, but we have new stuff to work with
Thoughts on DM necrozma in this deck?

I'm still thinking about how I want to incorporate/if I want to incorporate DM Necrozma into this deck.

I don't even know if I want to get rid of Registeel or Rayquaza to add in Solgaleo Prism Star. I think you need all 3, but I am also considering getting rid of Rayquaza and replacing it with Solgaleo Prism Star and playing a 10 metal energy deck with no DCE, giving me more room for tech options like DM Necrozma and the ability to play 4/3/3 Sycamore/N/Cynthia for a super consistent list.

The thing is that this deck fully relies on Ultra Road in order for it to be fully functional, and if you replace ultra road you need float stones or switch, or the 4th copy of Guzma (preferably float stone or switch so you can still use your supporter for turn on something else).

The core playstyle is to accelerate energy with Newgaleo GX, Ultra Road, Sunsteel Strike, Ultra Road, accelerate with Newgaleo GX, rinse and repeat. Rayquaza GRI is in here to allow you to keep up your energy pool even after Newgaleo GX falls.

DM Necrozma shuts off this interaction, so after it attacks it's just a sitting duck in the active. Not to mention your absolutely indestructable wall of 250 HP Pokemon gets thrown off by including something with 190 HP, 230 HP at best with FFB (though this may matter less since both DM Necrozma and SuMo Solgaleo GX can get OHKOs dealing 250 and 260 damage choice banded).

Another part of me is waiting for SM5 to be fully released before I make any moves on this list. Through playtesting, I am really on the fence with Olivia. She's there when I need her to be but you can set up without her as well. The gap between her performance is that when you need her she wins you games, and when you don't need her she's a dead card, but I'm not sure if that's a "bad" thing.

I have also considered playing 2 Mallow instead of 2 Olivia. Technically speaking, Cosmog's attack to draw you 1 card can also be Mallow combo'd.

Play Mallow, stack your deck, attack with Cosmog and draw 1 card, come your turn draw the 2nd card you stacked. Your opponent might feel inclined to N you. You could stack a rare candy and a Solgaleo GX on the top of your deck so that your active Cosmog can evolve immediately the upcoming turn.

And then we don't even have to bring up that Mallow naturally synchronizes with Zoroark GX, so Mallow has 2 applications in this deck and not just one.

I'll come back to this if I think of something that I think works works.

At this point, this decklist is still theorycrafting because we don't know exactly what the meta will look like upon SM5's release. I also think that Salazzle/Garbodor will end up being BDIF instead of any Solgaleo list due to the natural hard counter and the fact that Salazzle is getting better and better with every metal type Pokemon they reveal in SM5, though Cyrus Prism Star is also hinting at some Water support coming soon, too.

Last edited:
I'm still thinking about how I want to incorporate/if I want to incorporate DM Necrozma into this deck.

I don't even know if I want to get rid of Registeel or Rayquaza to add in Solgaleo Prism Star. I think you need all 3, but I am also considering getting rid of Rayquaza and replacing it with Solgaleo Prism Star and playing a 10 metal energy deck with no DCE, giving me more room for tech options like DM Necrozma and the ability to play 4/3/3 Sycamore/N/Cynthia for a super consistent list.

The thing is that this deck fully relies on Ultra Road in order for it to be fully functional, and if you replace ultra road you need float stones or switch, or the 4th copy of Guzma (preferably float stone or switch so you can still use your supporter for turn on something else).

The core playstyle is to accelerate energy with Newgaleo GX, Ultra Road, Sunsteel Strike, Ultra Road, accelerate with Newgaleo GX, rinse and repeat. Rayquaza GRI is in here to allow you to keep up your energy pool even after Newgaleo GX falls.

DM Necrozma shuts off this interaction, so after it attacks it's just a sitting duck in the active. Not to mention your absolutely indestructable wall of 250 HP Pokemon gets thrown off by including something with 190 HP, 230 HP at best with FFB (though this may matter less since both DM Necrozma and SuMo Solgaleo GX can get OHKOs dealing 250 and 260 damage choice banded).

Another part of me is waiting for SM5 to be fully released before I make any moves on this list. Through playtesting, I am really on the fence with Olivia. She's there when I need her to be but you can set up without her as well. The gap between her performance is that when you need her she wins you games, and when you don't need her she's a dead card, but I'm not sure if that's a "bad" thing.

I have also considered playing 2 Mallow instead of 2 Olivia. Technically speaking, Cosmog's attack to draw you 1 card can also be Mallow combo'd.

Play Mallow, stack your deck, attack with Cosmog and draw 1 card, come your turn draw the 2nd card you stacked. Your opponent might feel inclined to N you. You could stack a rare candy and a Solgaleo GX on the top of your deck so that your active Cosmog can evolve immediately the upcoming turn.

And then we don't even have to bring up that Mallow naturally synchronizes with Zoroark GX, so Mallow has 2 applications in this deck and not just one.

I'll come back to this if I think of something that I think works works.

At this point, this decklist is still theorycrafting because we don't know exactly what the meta will look like upon SM5's release. I also think that Salazzle/Garbodor will end up being BDIF instead of any Solgaleo list due to the natural hard counter and the fact that Salazzle is getting better and better with every metal type Pokemon they reveal in SM5, though Cyrus Prism Star is also hinting at some Water support coming soon, too.

Hi Duo,

With a consistent draw supporter line such as 4 Sycamore, 3 Cynthia and 3 N I am not sure whether Zoroark GX will still be needed. I would also run a second Bridgette and remove all Olivia. The most important task is to bench Cosmog and ensure it can evolve into Solgaleo GX fast.

While it is possible to run a one-off Dusk Mane Necrozma GX I would still run at least one old Solgaleo GX. The deck tends to need Ultra Road from my point of view. I would definitely include Solgaleo Prism star since he can recover resources once one of the new Solgaleo GX has been defeated. He is more efficient than Rayquaza.

In light of the new Glaceon GX, I think running 2 Brigette will start becoming mandatory in all set up lists just because we have to worry about not being able to Lele for her. The trade here is simple. -1 Lele for +1 Brigette. Lele loses value under an environment with Energy Evolution Eevee and Glaceon GX, so it's the smartest trade to make without disrupting the rest of the list.

Again, this is why I'm thinking about just waiting for all of SM5 to reveal before I touch this list again. I was going to remove Registeel for Solgaleo Prism Star, but seeing as how Registeel can OHKO Glaceon GX with a choice band means that you can't remove him if Glaceon GX is popular. You don't want to be going overkill with Solgaleo Prism Star to fulfill this job either.

I'm still not sure about removing all Olivia, but her 2 slots are definitely the 2 most flexible ones at the moment.

Also, the reasons why I would still run Zoroark GX even in a deck list that runs 10 draw supporters:

1. Zoroark GX allows for selective energy discarding which none of the draw supporters do.
2. It extends your draws further even after playing your once per turn supporter.
3. Because supporters are once per turn, you can still Guzma or Olivia and still draw cards afterward.

Pokemon x16

New Solgaleo GX XL™ x2
SuMo Solgaleo GX x2
Cosmoem x2
Nebby x4
Registeel x1
Rayquaza x1
Solgaleo Prism Star x1
Dusk Mane Necrozma GX x1
Tapu Lele GX x2

Supporter x16

Sycamore x4
Cynthia x3
N x3
Guzma x3
Brigette x3

Item x16

Ultra Ball x4
Rare Candy x4
Choice Band x4
Field Blower x3
Rescue Stretcher x1

Energy x12

Metal Energy x9
DCE x3

I decided I'd go ahead and update the list with everything that we know so far since it seems like Metal should be done getting support and we know about Glaceon GX and its potential to be game changing. So game changing in fact that I completely overhauled the list just to compensate for it.

Change List

Zoroark GX is gone

It's dead against Glaceon GX decks. Glaceon GX/Alolan Ninetales GX is a deck to be feared.

Tapu Lele GX down to 2 copies

If Glaceon GX becomes a threat, I think 2 copies of Lele will become the new standard. You still have enough to use when you can, but you do not want to be expecting to Lele for Brigette on turn 1 every game now. You need to be able to get Brigette in your hand without Lele.

The full 1 of line up of Registeel, Rayquaza, Solgaleo Prism Star, and Dusk Mane Necrozma GX

Registeel - Your easiest, most energy efficient, lowest prize cost solution to OHKOing Glaceon GX with a Choice Band. Back up energy acceleration.
Rayquaza - As a deck that runs DCE for Newgaleo GX, you absolutely want to run 1 Rayquaza as well. 1 attach for turn nets you 2 energy, so it's a "+1" on energy.
Solgaleo Prism Star - Ridiculous energy acceleration for the mid to late game.
Dusk Mane Necrozma GX - Couple this with SuMo Solgaleo's Ultra Road and Sol Burst GX and you have yourself 2 attackers that can take OHKOs back to back and one of them is a basic that you can just drop any time. It's a powerful set up that can't be ignored.

4/3/3 Sycamore, Cynthia, N

With Zoroark GX gone, you want as much draw power as possible. Even more so because Glaceon GX prevents you from Leleing for these draw supporters, so you really just need to have 1 in hand at all times now.

3 Fricken Copies of Brigette

All I really have to say is Glaceon GX. You need the ability to open with this card without Ultra Ball/Lele, and in any deck you're facing that isn't Glaceon GX, you now have 9 ways to see Brigette on turn 1. It's a win/win scenario. Sycamore/Ultra Ball all the dead copies away.

Choice Band is up to 4

This is a 4 choice band deck. You just need to have 4 Choice Bands because you always need the ability to hit for 250/260 damage on SuMo Solgaleo GX and DM Necrozma GX in order to OHKO your opponent's Solgaleo GXs. Choice Bands are also needed for Newgaleo GX to take consistent 2 hit KOs as well as gives Registeel the ability to OHKO Glaceon GX.

Hey, I think you're definitely on the right track for the deck. I already played the deck a bunch with all the cards revealed so far, and I think that's all we need in regards to cards for the deck, but here are some things to consider: You always need to be setting up Solgaleo GXs, so you can't afford to miss Evolutions, and if you do, you definitely can't rely on Rare Candy alone for catching you back up. For that reason, I was playing 3 Cosmoem and 4 Rare Candy. I was also playing a Cyrus and a Choice Band.
Cyrus makes your opponent choose only 2 of their Pokemon to keep, and because you should be OHKO-ing anything in the game, you destroy the setup they have. I was previously playing a Parallel City before this card was revealed, if that information matters to anyone. The one-of Choice Band is amazing, absolutely amazing. It means that Sunsteel Strike OHKOs literally anything in the game, and if you really need to, Solgaleo Prism does 190, but mainly Sunsteel Strike. And in a format where Solgaleo is everywhere, which it will be, this WILL matter. Just not enough to warrant 4 copies. That's just overboard. Drop the RayRay. I dislike Registeel, but I can't ignore the points brought forth, so that one is fine. But Rayquaza does the exact same thing as Newgaleo only it does 30 as opposed to 120. It doesn't have the HP to have any backbone either, so it really just takes space in the deck, and on the bench. I suppose 1 argument would be that it finishes what Sunsteel Strike started, which is the reason I tested with it, but if you're using the attack, use the one that does 120 and won't be OHKO'd. And no Max Potion? Max Potion is the closest reason to making this deck borderline unbeatable.

Hey, I think you're definitely on the right track for the deck. I already played the deck a bunch with all the cards revealed so far, and I think that's all we need in regards to cards for the deck, but here are some things to consider: You always need to be setting up Solgaleo GXs, so you can't afford to miss Evolutions, and if you do, you definitely can't rely on Rare Candy alone for catching you back up. For that reason, I was playing 3 Cosmoem and 4 Rare Candy. I was also playing a Cyrus and a Choice Band.
Cyrus makes your opponent choose only 2 of their Pokemon to keep, and because you should be OHKO-ing anything in the game, you destroy the setup they have. I was previously playing a Parallel City before this card was revealed, if that information matters to anyone. The one-of Choice Band is amazing, absolutely amazing. It means that Sunsteel Strike OHKOs literally anything in the game, and if you really need to, Solgaleo Prism does 190, but mainly Sunsteel Strike. And in a format where Solgaleo is everywhere, which it will be, this WILL matter. Just not enough to warrant 4 copies. That's just overboard. Drop the RayRay. I dislike Registeel, but I can't ignore the points brought forth, so that one is fine. But Rayquaza does the exact same thing as Newgaleo only it does 30 as opposed to 120. It doesn't have the HP to have any backbone either, so it really just takes space in the deck, and on the bench. I suppose 1 argument would be that it finishes what Sunsteel Strike started, which is the reason I tested with it, but if you're using the attack, use the one that does 120 and won't be OHKO'd. And no Max Potion? Max Potion is the closest reason to making this deck borderline unbeatable.

3 Choice Band is the minimum that I would do. We're still in a Garbodor format, and we are definitely going to be seeing Garbodor try to shut down this deck, which means field blowers are going to be everywhere and only 1 choice band is not going to stick it for you for all of your KOs. I also don't see how you will continue your OHKOs if your SuMo Solgaleo GX with Choice Band gets KO'd - you now have no way to OHKO anymore Solgaleo GX's. Not sure how you're consistently grabbing Choice Band when you only have 1 copy as well. I can drop 1 Choice Band for 1 Cyrus, but I'm still not all that convinced by him yet to be honest. I think any player can play around Cyrus as long as they expect it to be in someone's deck. Cyrus is also really bad if your opponent has 2 Leles on the bench - you just give them a free refresh of Leles back into their deck for more supporter consistency. At the very least you are almost always going to be shuffling 1 Lele back into the deck. That Lele could help your opponent grab a game winning Guzma. Solgaleo doesn't need a lot of set up to function well. Your optimal board after taking a Cyrus is a SuMo Solgaleo GX and a Newgaleo GX with a Cosmoem in play ready to take the place of whichever of your Solgaleo's get KO'd and you really don't need more than that. I would rather drop 1 band to add the 3rd Cosmoem since you bring up a good point.

Rayquaza is here because not every game is going to be perfect and you need utility in the form of basics and not stage 2s for those bad games. I really don't care if it gets KO'd because it just forces the 7 prize game. SuMo Solgaleo GX and a Rayquaza functionally does the same thing as a SuMo Solgaleo GX and a Newgaleo GX when you consider the mirror match and the fact that everything is dieing in one hit. I don't care about the difference in damage because this is an OHKO deck. Whether you hit 30 or 120 with your energy acceleration attack is almost irrelivent when the next turn you're going to be hitting for 230 or 260. As long as Rayquaza can get me 2 energy accelerated onto a SuMo Solgaleo GX before it falls, even just once, that's all I need it for. It's a basic that requires no set up. Drop it down, attach a DCE, Ultra Road it into the active, and you don't lose any momentum.

No max potion because Solgaleo GX is the very definition of an OHKO format. I really see no point when Sunsteel can hit for 260 and DM Necrozma GX can hit for 250. Max Potion isn't going to help much in an OHKO format. You have Prominence GX to handle any spread damage or poke damage from decks that won't be grabbing OHKOs. And yes, I would absolutely purposefully save my GX attack for Prominence GX if I knew I was up against some kind of spread damage or 2 hit KO deck that can't scale over me. If I'm facing a Solgaleo GX deck, I would Sol Burst GX 9 out of 10 times. But if I was up against Glaceon GX who really likes poking me, I would set up Newgaleo GX and just take OHKOs and Prominence GX to heal off all the spread damage if I felt threatened by Espeon EX devolve KOs.

I'm not sure what decks you've been playing against with your build, but the only 3 decks I'm worried about right now post SM5 are Salazzle GX/Garbodor, some kind of Glaceon GX variant, and Newgaleo GX. This deck list I made is expecting that those 3 decks will be the most popular in the meta, and stuff like Metal Silvally and Golisopod variants and Gardevoir GX will die off in the wake of these new decks. If I'm wrong then my list will change. This still really is just a skeleton list based on speculation, predictions, and what I think will be good.

At the end of the day, the deck list that you take to an event will always be decided on meta calls and personal playstyle, so this deck list can never ever truly be complete. It's just a complete skeleton that I think includes the baseline of what the deck needs to function.

What I will say though is that this deck takes a hard auto loss to Salazzle GX/Garbodor right now. Part of the purpose of running Zoroark GX was to counteract the possibility of Salazzle GX/Garbodor. Remember, Newgaleo GX's ability is a defensive ability, meaning it works on your opponent's turn and not your turn. The reason why you need field blower is to enable Ultra Road on your turn and nothing else. Even if you field blower on your turn, your opponent can still reattach a tool on their turn and Salazzle GX choice banded will slaughter you since the ability will be shut off again. Zoroark GX gives you something that can eat Salazzle GX in the early game while you set up your OHKOs and his trade energy discard outlet is stupidly useful. This is another reason why you need Rayquaza. You need a 1 prize energy acceleration option that doesn't get OHKO'd by Salazzle GX's 110 damage attack. KOing Garbodors is going to be something this deck wants to do in order to keep Salazzle GX away.

Whether or not Salazzle/Garbodor sees much play depends on how much Glaceon GX sees play. This post is already too long though so I'm just going to stop here.

Last edited:
Back