Help So I didn't realize I could've gotten a better deck, help?

ZephyrFox12

Aspiring Trainer
So to start off because my title probably dosent make a lot of sense I recently got my first job, I get paid every 2 weeks for about 235-45ish. I know that's low but for my first job and being a teen it seems really good to me. Recently I bought all my stuff for Greninja irl, cost me around 70ish because I got my brother some stuff too. I'm no regional player but eventually I may want to do a league cup or something or more less if my locals hosts one. My concern is that maybe getting Greninja was a mistake if I can build a more consistent deck in like a month (I say a month because I plan to take half of my earnings and save it). I like Greninja, I think with enough dedication and patience I can make it work but at the same time I'd prefer to not get stomped every game because of bad hands or because they're playing Golisopod (I seriously hate that card now). I'm not looking to go regional to league cup in some grand quest to get to worlds or something, that's not me, I'm there to play at locals and nearby league cups. Greninja feels amazing when it works but can be garbage when it doesn't (like what Monarchs where in Yugioh). I'm just not sure if I should stay with the deck or not, I love and hate it. Every deck bricks, I understand that, I don't want to sweep every game but if I lose I want to make the opposition feel like they earned it, give them a run for thier money if you will, not a freebie because my hand became a paperweight of dead cards.

I guess I'm just kinda torn, let me know what you guys think of my situation, feedback is always appreciated :)

Before I get started, I will go ahead and say that spending 70 bucks on a deck is not the worst thing in the world. Depending on how far you go with this, you'll find yourself spending much more than 70 bucks. Greninja is also not a bad pick. It's literally one of the best budget decks that doesn't get you into Tapu Lele GX and can pick a fight with every other meta deck (except grass, but all decks have a weakness so this is unavoidable), but as you mentioned before, it suffers from chronic inconsistency which can be disheartening. I always suggest Greninja BREAK to new players trying to get into competitive because once you've experienced 3 stages of evolution, playing a stage 1 or stage 2 deck suddenly becomes much easier.

There are a few things you should know about the TCG overall. I'm assuming that you're kind of new to this, but if I'm preaching to the choir here, just ignore what I'm about to say.

1. There are a lot of universal cards that almost all decks use. Sycamore, N, Brigette, Ultra Ball, Tapu Lele GX (if you have the money for it), Rare Candy, Field Blower, Choice Band, Float Stone, Double Colorless Energy, etc etc. Once you build your first 60 card deck, you'll realize that you'll need less & less cards to change decks, and ultimately you'll just end up spending money only on new Pokemon. This brings me to my next point.

2. If you are uncertain about the future, the best thing you can do is get yourself a full playset of all of the relevant item and trainer cards and grab yourself 2 or 3 Elite Trainer boxes to get all the energy cards you'll ever need on top of the dice and condition markers, if you don't have them already. If you own 4 Rescue Stretcher, 4 Ultra Ball, 4 Sycamore, 4 N, etc etc, those are one time purchases that you will find useful in a ton of decks. The reason why I like Pokemon TCG so much is that deck building is efficient. Roughly half of your deck will be the same between any deck you play, and that saves a lot of time and money. So now it really comes down to the Pokemon.

3. Research a lot. If you're looking to reduce expenses on this game, you're going to want a lot of knowledge. In fact, you can be competitive through knowledge alone. Look up all of the decks that placed in top 16 at big events like Internationals and Worlds, and don't be afraid to look up other Pokemon that people don't seem to play as well. Then go on youtube and look up decklists or online battles to see if you can find a playstyle that you like.

4. Use proxies or play out decks in your head. Once you've played a large handful of games and seen a handful of decks, you'll be able to mentally play out the first 2-3 turns of any deck list and ask yourself if that's how you want to be doing things. For everything else, there's proxies. Whether that's black & white print outs of cards you tuck into sleeves or just sheets of paper that you handwrite a card's text onto and shove that into a sleeve, play with proxies before you buy for keeps, unless you just really want some cards for your collection anyway.

5. The game is always changing and will continue to change. You will likely own enough cards to play 2,3,4,5,6 different decks after a few months. There is no such thing as a bad investment unless you buy a card that's going to be rotating out of standard in a month and you have no plans on playing expanded. Since a rotation just happened, there's no semi competitive/competitive deck that's a bad investment. On the contrary, you'll never know when an older deck or Pokemon will come back and become relevant.

6. No matter what deck you play, you will gain some experience and knowledge that you otherwise would not have. It's a lot easier to think several turns ahead when you've already experienced a lot of different match ups.

From here on out, you can either look to modify your Greninja list until you find your perfect fit if you really enjoy the deck, or do some research and ask questions.

Off the bat I'd just like to thank you for responding to my post, it means a lot. I come from Yugioh so going down to a much slower pace had been odd over the course of like 4+ months (maybe even 5 or 6 tbh). I ended up leaving Yugioh because of how 'pay to win' it honestly became. Every Tcg has some aspects of this but in Yugioh you can literally pay $200+ on a deck then only to lose a die roll and the entire because of that. The one deck I actually enjoyed playing got beaten down on the banlist awhile back but unlike other tcgs, when something goes on Konami's banlist it can take years to come back, if it even comes back at all.

I'm pretty certain that I'm getting a Lele with my first paycheck. I'm not usually one for getting high cost staples but $55-60 for a consistency piece that has like 2 years of life (maybe even more) in standard is worth the investment. Whether I play it on Greninja is debatable, the deck seems very iffy to me through testing. If you fall back like 1 turn its like falling back 5 it seems. Shadow Stitching is great but loses value once they already set up. I don't want to give up on the deck in fact I'll probably be posting more things about it here.

Recently a Rainbow Road deck did good at a league cup with 1 Lele. It's something I'm gonna play around with online, I'm not looking to replace Greninja but having options is always nice, we'll see tho, I might not even like it tbh.

Off the bat I'd just like to thank you for responding to my post, it means a lot. I come from Yugioh so going down to a much slower pace had been odd over the course of like 4+ months (maybe even 5 or 6 tbh). I ended up leaving Yugioh because of how 'pay to win' it honestly became. Every Tcg has some aspects of this but in Yugioh you can literally pay $200+ on a deck then only to lose a die roll and the entire because of that. The one deck I actually enjoyed playing got beaten down on the banlist awhile back but unlike other tcgs, when something goes on Konami's banlist it can take years to come back, if it even comes back at all.

I'm pretty certain that I'm getting a Lele with my first paycheck. I'm not usually one for getting high cost staples but $55-60 for a consistency piece that has like 2 years of life (maybe even more) in standard is worth the investment. Whether I play it on Greninja is debatable, the deck seems very iffy to me through testing. If you fall back like 1 turn its like falling back 5 it seems. Shadow Stitching is great but loses value once they already set up. I don't want to give up on the deck in fact I'll probably be posting more things about it here.

Recently a Rainbow Road deck did good at a league cup with 1 Lele. It's something I'm gonna play around with online, I'm not looking to replace Greninja but having options is always nice, we'll see tho, I might not even like it tbh.

You're the 4th or 5th person in the last 2 weeks that I've met/encountered who has switched from YuGiOh to Pokemon TCG only recently, myself included, but that was about over a month ago for me. I'm not going to make this a discussion about how bad YuGiOh is, but I will simply congratulate you on making a good decision.

If you're looking to unlock full meta playability, you're going to want to grab yourself 3 copies of Tapu Lele GX. 3 copies is the new standard since every deck has room for 1 more with VS Seeker rotating out of standard. If you can get yourself 3 copies over time, you have access to every deck in the game in a competitive or semi competitive format. Even just 2 would be enough to be relevant, really.

As far as Greninja is concerned, I'd like to point out that unlike YuGiOh, there's actually a good handful of skill involved with Pokemon TCG. It takes time to get used to a new deck and play it out properly. I've been playing Gardevoir GX since it was released and I'm still learning about how to optimize my play order and energy commitments. The one tip I'll give you is to make sure you're always thinking at least 1 turn in advance for both what you're going to do and what you think your opponent is capable of. You need to have some foresight on your opponent to know what to expect, and you need to make sure your hand is capable of continuing onwards next turn.

Outside of that, good luck and have fun playing the game. People around here will do their best to give you feedback. The more details you provide the easier it is for us to give feedback.

Have you tried posting your Greninja list in the Deck Garage forum? Yes, Frogs is an inherently inconsistent deck, BUT there may be some sub-optimal choices in your 60 that a little fine tuning might remedy.

As far as investment in the game goes, I will say this: buy into Expanded. Some people may disagree with me, and I may be completely off base, but hear me out.

The main issue with any card game and budgets is that Standard metas tend to shift far too quickly and erratically to make "investing" a viable option, whereas "Eternal" (assuming they don't start rotating BW sets at the end of the season) formats, like Expanded don't typically have anywhere near that kind of constant upheaval. Yes, doing all the things @Duo said is ideal - and if you can do it, do it! - but the standard BDIF, or even the top 3 or 4 BDIFs shift and change every couple of weeks, usually once the results of the latest Regional get posted on Pokemon.com, so choosing a deck with any kind of staying power is almost impossible. But, if you were to buy let's say Night March, you could play that at every expanded LC and Cup and even regional until AT LEAST the end of this season, maybe even longer. How many years has Sosa been playing exclusively Yveltal? You may not keep a lot of friends by constantly playing Night March, but who needs friends. ;)

I did the same thing when I bought into Magic about a year ago. I bought a top tier Modern deck, mainly because I don't have 4 different sets of grandparents like my daughter does who keep her constantly flushed with pokemon cards, but also because I didn't want to invest $300 in a Standard deck that would be unplayable 2 weeks later because the meta shifted. And my wallet is quite happy I made that choice too because I spent about $500 total and I've been playing essentially the same deck for almost a year now, whereas if I was trying to keep up with standard, I'd be waaaaaaay deeper in the hole. Something to consider at the very least.

In my opinion Greninja is the best budget deck and on of the best decks out there! I'm sorry my advice won't be that helpful but if you wan't omnipoke has a very good decklist and great video for newer greninja players . Not only that but tablemon one of the best players and probably THE best greninja player just uploaded a video on his new list!

Back