Smashing the Synthesis of GeChamp

Can GeChamp be beaten in strategical way, excluding the use of Unown G?

• Yes

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M!ster GrassDark

Awkward turtle
There's been a lot of talk about this deck and I'm sure there's a away to beat it - as claimed by several users. I know about Unown G, but is that everyone's only shred of hope? In this thread we can focus solely on strategies rather than skimming the surface in other threads.

PokeKid Brandon said:
Shuppet from PL can counter them pretty good avoding their fainting spell and hitting machamp for alot of damage.

Aye.
He hits the weak spot for massive damage.
Honchy KIND OF works. Resists Champ and exploits Gengar.
But that's hardly worth mentioning. :\

If you can make torterra fast enough, it could probably beat Gechamp. Gengar exploits TSS in hand and powers; Torterra plays more pokemon than TSS and uses alot of bodies instead of powers.
Machamp KOs basics, but a Torterra deck is built around evolutions, and if you're not able to evolve in a Tort deck, you've pretty much lost the game anyway.

That's one way to go, or shuppet works too, exploiting weaknes. Of course, that just gives gengar an extra 120 dmg when the pluspowers go back to your hand. If you made it a shuppet/Gengar deck, gengar would have to spend 2 turns shadow rooming your gengar or ohko it and risk the fainting spell. You could do Shuppet/jumpluff to give it permanent smokescreen effect.

Toxicroak G w/Weavile tech could also give gengar problems (As toxicroak already beats machamp 90% of the time)

Zoidberg69 said:
That's one way to go, or shuppet works too, exploiting weaknes. Of course, that just gives gengar an extra 120 dmg when the pluspowers go back to your hand.
If we were using Shuppet as a tech, then there would be no need for Pluspower in the first place. In fact, Shuppet really is the great tech around (besides Unwon G) when you're looking for a counter to GeChamp. You can KO Gengar without activating Fainting Spell and deal some nice damage to Machamp for 1.

The best way to counter GenChamp is to just play right through it, there is nothing special about the deck, and it makes me sad to see people so distressed over a bad deck.

Just toss in a Wager or two to wreck their starts or if you are playing a Stage 2 deck toss a Dusknoir DP in there. There is no reason why people should have trouble playing around as long as their deck is capable of winning in the first place.

well in regionals, the original maker of gechamp got donked by shuppet twice and knocked him out of Top 8.

Grafton is too good lol. Yeah, Gechamp isn't really THAT good. Shuppet probably is the way to go though, if you really need to have a tech. I also find toxitank is good against it.

DawnOfXatu said:
The best way to counter GenChamp is to just play right through it, there is nothing special about the deck, and it makes me sad to see people so distressed over a bad deck.

Just toss in a Wager or two to wreck their starts or if you are playing a Stage 2 deck toss a Dusknoir DP in there. There is no reason why people should have trouble playing around as long as their deck is capable of winning in the first place.

^too true^

Most decks have an edge on Gechamp anyways. Is there any need to tech against a deck that isn't a bad match-up in the first place? if it ain't broke, don't fix it, eh?

That said, SP decks have a hard time against GeChamp... Playing 3 Unown G gives you a winnable match-up.

Grafton lucksacks everbody with GeChamp. If they don't totally lucksack you you'll probably be able to pull it out through status conditions and damage counters.

Any moderately fast, well-played deck can beat Gechamp... I can't believe you guys are talking about Shuppet when Uxie has the exact same effect, except it only requires C to do its attack, and doesn't put the pluspowers back into your hand for Gengar to Poltergeist (albeit it does do 10 less damage... but that's why you're using pluspowers)

Back at the BR's, I've seen most GeChamp players having a bad start. I may not have a lot of experience with GeChamp (although I have all of the cards for it) it's probably because you are combining all of Machamp's needed cards and all of Gengar's needed cards together. This makes space tight, where other techs might have a hard time fitting in. And I don't really see a lot of energy either. From what I've seen, I think any fast deck could go through GeChamp, and using certain cards you can negate a horrible start. And for the Gengar counter, I don't know why people are worrying about Fainting Spell so much. Really, it's a coin flip. If your Pokemon gets KO'ed then OK, you recover from it quickly.

Then don't use 2-3 energy pokemon that need that many energy. I've played GeChamp and my opponent used Flygon and still got two to three energy on his other Flygon when I flipped heads on Fainting Spell.

Back