Help Sleeving cards for both collection and play simultaneously

Hikaru

Aspiring Trainer
I only got back into the tcg with burning shadows, (and retroactively started collecting from S&M base onwards) and have found that my few base set holo cards from 18 years ago no longer identify as cards, and are pursuing their dreams of becoming half-pipes. Seeing these cards become (as far as I can tell) permanently unplayable has motivated me to take better care of my cards, to which ends I've thrown together a ridiculous system where every single card in my collection is sleeved, organized by type, and sub-organized by number in a laptop box I've converted into storage by dividing it into trays that hold the cards a lot like the elite trainer boxes do. The exception to this is my collection of GXs EXs and shining legends shining cards, which are in the same type of sleeves that are then sleeved in toploaders, and organized separately to the side.

I like my current setup because it lets me do stupid things like keep a pile of decklists, that can be used to build any deck I want to on the spot in just a minute or so. The only hangup is that the GX cards come out of their toploaders when I use them in decks, and the pennysleeves don't seem to be quite enough in terms of protection. It's barely noticeable, but the GXs seem to warp just barely when they're outside of their toploaders, which as I mentioned, they're not always inside depending on what deck I'm playing at the time, and depending on if I leave a deck with GXs assembled between league gatherings. I've only been using regular and full-art GXs, mind you, but I'm probably going to trade one of my 4 Zoroark GXs, which means that one of the 3 in my current best deck will have to be replaced by my rainbow-rare Zoroark GX, which I really don't want to sully by handling it with my imperfect, unworthy human hands.

What I've considered doing is keeping my GX collection triple-sleeved (perfect fit inside pennysleeves inside toploaders) so they'd still be double-sleeved when I take them out to play them. What I don't know if I were to do that is how much the innersleeves would add to the card's profile. If it sticks out at all, I wouldn't consider that an option, but I'd be at a loss for other ideas. It's also possible that I'm being super paranoid about this, and the pennysleeves are fine on their own. Or maybe there's one weird trick to permanently keeping cards flat (PSA graders hate it!) and I just don't know about it.

Regardless, I figured it'd be best to get some advice from people who have some experience and can point me in the right direction rather than take a stab in the dark at coming up with a solution myself. Any advice is appreciated!

For reference the pennysleeves I'm using are BCW 2 and 5/8" by 3 and 5/8" 2mil sleeves (they were cheap)
Below is my storage situation.
DsjqvRB

Edit: Above would be my storage situation if the image had embedded properly.

Last edited:
Triple feels like overkill but do what works for you.

My Leles etc are inner sleeved KMC perfects and outer sleeve Dragon Shield and they’re still basically perfect. I play them in tournaments, testing etc and there’s not a whiff of damage. I travel them in deck boxes and stuff and keep them in binders if they aren’t being used so they don’t see a lot of unnecessary stress anyway.

Triple feels like overkill but do what works for you.

My Leles etc are inner sleeved KMC perfects and outer sleeve Dragon Shield and they’re still basically perfect. I play them in tournaments, testing etc and there’s not a whiff of damage. I travel them in deck boxes and stuff and keep them in binders if they aren’t being used so they don’t see a lot of unnecessary stress anyway.
Hmm. Sounds about right. Although the thing is, I'm using pennysleeves which to my limited knowledge aren't as rigid as dragonshields or matte ultrapros? so I'd guess that cards in the higher quality matte-backed sleeves don't have as much room to bend or get damaged in the first place. The info helps, but I'd still like to know if inner sleeves make a noticeable difference in how a card looks/feels compared to non-sleeved cards; especially with the cheap full-transparent sleeves like I'm using.

Back