Should we have another Mid-Season Rotation to BW-On?

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
I'm asking this because of how much the power creep of the HGSS sets have influenced alot of the current decks we see in the current metagame that either makes games unfun for players or just still makes it fun but frustrating for players in general. I'm not saying this is always the case but you might sort of see where I'm getting at.

As much as I'd love the idea of a BW-On format, I see some problems still. We end up losing alot of crucial Trainers/Supporters that has helped keep HGSS-On as a format balanced. Stuff like Collector and possibly PONT and Rare Candy hasn't even been reprinted yet in an English BW set.

Another odd thing is that there's not enough Previous Gen Pokemon currently in BW-On like there is currently with HGSS-On that alot of people are familiar with. It probably doesn't make sense for me saying that but there is a large group of people who have a neglect of the new Gen 5 Pokemon designs and nostalgia still plays somewhat of a role in the franchise itself.

What do you guys think?

Why would we have a mid season rotation because of a power creep? It just doesn't make sense. The mid season rotation was a special thing. Pokemon won't do it every set because cards are powerful. In fact, that's not even why pokemon did the last one. They did it because the bw rules conflicted with some of the pokemon at that time.

No a Mid-Season Rotation would be a bad thing a BW - On Format there would be no balance they would have to wait for more cards to come out that beats our current Meta-Game cards I think 2011 - 2012 Format Nothing should be rotated. Maybe a 2012 - 2013 Mid-Season Rotation would be okay if they release broken cards then I wouldn't mind. To be honest I don't anyone go back to Type Based Decks it would be ridiculous. Look what they did with HGSS - on our Mid-Season Rotation only few decks were playable the only positive thing we got out of the format is "The Truth" google Deck maybe when Next Destinies hopefully more decks will become playable I know in Next Destinies I know more card will be playable hopefully the format will be less stale because no matter what whatever you build may Succeed or Fail this format does rely on too much luck this format is just complicated I wish it were Platinum Supreme Victors and on atleast it would give us more cards to play with I know they wanted to get rid of SP & Sableye since that was too Dominant I was more of Anti-SP. My point is Supreme Victors and on would bring balance and more cards and more Ideas.

BW-on format = slow and way more luck reliant

Not a good format at all. Since you remember that most if not all of the best T/S/S are STILL in HGSS-CoL, that should be enough reason as to why mid-season rotation is a no-no.

Your post doesn't make any sense to me. You're saying they might do it because the HGSS sets have a power creep, but they don't-the BW sets are the ones with the power creep. The HGSS sets are the ones with the cards that prevent this from turning into a top deck format, and there is quite literally no reason that anyone would want a BW-on rotation now, least of all TPCi, or whoever runs the rotations, as far as I can tell. Even now, people are complaining that aside from the first turn rule, the biggest problem with our format is that its too slow; how is rotating staples that we currently have no substitutes for going to help either problem?

No way, it would be WAY to slow. There would not be Collector, Juniper, and all the other great supporters we have now.

This reminds me.. This should be in Competitive Collective as this topic focuses more on the Competitive side.

Infinity said:
Juniper, and all the other great supporters we have now.

No Juniper in BW-on?

Card Slinger J said:
Stuff like Collector and possibly PONT and Rare Candy hasn't even been reprinted yet in an English BW set.

Rare Candy was reprinted in Dark Rush, so hopefully we'll be getting it in our Spring/Summer set.

Card Slinger J, your last paragraph is an awful reason for a mid-season rotation. No one plays the game just because there isn't a lot of pre-Generation 5 Pokemon. They play the game to win and have fun.

Lastly, there was a mid-season rotation last July because the format was corrupted. There were so many flaws in the MD-BW format, and there aren't as many flaws in this current format (and hopefully for the HS-ND and HS-BW5).

As for not having cards like Collector or PONT in a BW-on format, this is where adapting to the new format comes in. Japanese players in a BW-on format have adjusted and have begun to play high counts of Professor Juniper, Bianca, and Random Receiver in their decks. While yes, the format will be much different than it is right now, different is never bad.

To be honest, I can't wait for BW-on; I can't wait to sink my teeth into a deckbuilding style so different to what we have now. But I also would loathe to see this happen before this season finishes. The last thing the Pokemon TCG needs is to be thrown into another unexpected format change during the middle of a Season, as it is both incredibly disruptive and difficult for most players to deal with. When the rotation comes, I will welcome it, but now is not the time for it at all.

I'm also certain that, at least until the release of Dark Rush for the wider world, the card pool is not varied enough to support a format of its own BW-on. Thinking about this very topic earlier, I looked through all of the decks that I currently have built, and found that on average, around 20 cards would be retained. None of the decks that are currently viable would be playable; no ZPST (It loses Pachirisu and Shaymin), no CaKE (Electrode, Shaymin), no Truth (Vileplume, Donphan, Steelix, Blissey), no Reshiphlosion (Typhlosion, Ninetales), no Thunderdome (Magnezone), no Chandelure (Dodrio, Blissey, Vileplume). Not to mention the loss of supporters, trainers and basic help setting yourself up. Collector, PONT, Copycat, Twins, Baby Pokemon, Dual Ball, etc, etc

Such a volatile transition would completely shut down the Metagame, and with a shallow card pool of only 4 sets, it would hardly be enjoyable for anyone if it were to happen mid-season, while everyone prepares for States and Worlds. However, after that, I'm quite happy to say goodbye to the HGSS block. The lack of some of the more centralising cards in the format (Magnezone and Pokemon Collector most of all) gives me a pleasant hope that decks will stabilise and the game will stop being so much of a game of Rocket Tag (but then I think about the EXs and sigh a little bit) and calm down a bit, while everyone has a bit of downtime to figure out what to do with themselves.

Mid-Season Rotations are only for drastic measures. First turn advantage on the coin flip does not count as "drastic" enough to warrant a mid-season rotation.

Futachimaru said:
No Juniper in BW-on?

Rare Candy was reprinted in Dark Rush, so hopefully we'll be getting it in our Spring/Summer set.

Card Slinger J, your last paragraph is an awful reason for a mid-season rotation. No one plays the game just because there isn't a lot of pre-Generation 5 Pokemon. They play the game to win and have fun.

Lastly, there was a mid-season rotation last July because the format was corrupted. There were so many flaws in the MD-BW format, and there aren't as many flaws in this current format (and hopefully for the HS-ND and HS-BW5).

As for not having cards like Collector or PONT in a BW-on format, this is where adapting to the new format comes in. Japanese players in a BW-on format have adjusted and have begun to play high counts of Professor Juniper, Bianca, and Random Receiver in their decks. While yes, the format will be much different than it is right now, different is never bad.

Nope, no Juniper in BW on. [/sarcasm]

But seriously, you get my point.

I am one of the few who advocated a BW-on rotation on July 1st, 2011.

I frankly believe it can't come quickly enough. Let's do this.

Infinity said:
But seriously, you get my point.

You're not getting my point at all, then. Yes, we won't have cards like Pokemon Collector, Sage's Training, PokeGear, or PONT, but we have other cards to supplement their absences. On top of that, the format won't really be "slow" as long as cards such as Professor Juniper, Cheren, Random Receiver, and Bianca exist in a format filled with very big Basic Pokemon. The format will be very different, but this players have to adapt to a new format.

As fun as BW-on would be, it won't happen until after Worlds (at which point, yes, BW-on will be the most likely rotation). I have to say, I'm looking forward to it - we'll get some slower play with much more evolution-based strategy (which makes for better matches overall) as well as larger amounts of each card, particularly draw/search Supporters/Trainers, in each deck, making it less luck-based (you're more likely to get a card in, say, the opening 7 if you run 4 than if you run any less. It's just less volatile; having a 1-of gives a lot of variability where it could be prized, stay in the deck a while, etc., and less luck is always a good thing for the game). But a mid-season rotation would be much much too early and completely throw off the rotation system now.

Don't rotations usually exclude 4 sets?

A rotation to BW-on would cut out COL. as well as the 4 HGSS sets.

So yes to mid season rotate, but leave COL active

That would cause some confusion among new players though because of things like renamed trainers/supporters and abilities instead of pokepowers/pokebodies being in all of the legal sets except one.

Scizorliscious said:
I have to say, I'm looking forward to it - we'll get some slower play with much more evolution-based strategy (which makes for better matches overall)

I don't understand. BW- on sets have Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem, the Musketeers, and no good stage 2 attackers, except for maybe Chandelure and Gothitelle. Also there is no Rare Candy so far, even in Japanese sets, and if there is none it would make it even harder to evolve Stage 2's.

Actually rare candy is reprinted in dark rush i beleive, but who knows when it will come to english.

There shouldn't be a rotation because there is a good variety of decks and the prices don't go high over $100

Yeah, mid season rotation would be terrible because it would get rid of all good evolved attackers. The only reason they did the last one was because of the rule changes.

Back