Should Pokemon Catcher be Banned?

• Yes

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 70.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lostgar still likes Seekers, and I definitely see Catcher shifting a LOT of the metagame around. Pokemon like Donphan and Yanmega that require little setup are going to see more play, and Zekrom decks that exploit the fact that they can OHKO just about anything will see a LOT of play. I do think Catcher is an ugly card that should not see print, but it's going to - and it's going to define the format. That said, Base Set through Rocket was the golden age of Pokemon, with a LOT of viable metagame decks that have strong similarity to what we're going to see today. Energy Removal was certainly more defining to that game, but Gust of Wind was at least a 2-of in almost every deck played. Of course, that format wasn't full of constant OHKOs like this one is; but that too may slow down with more disruption coming in.

Crush Hammer isn't good enough, and Energy Removal is flat out broken. They should have reprinted SER; in this format, where energy is key, it might be balanced.

I'm so glad there are people that agree with me. Pokemon Catcher AKA Gust of Wind is BAD for the game, making it even more of a brainless prize exchange rather than tactical switches and strategy.

There's a reason why there was never a reprint of GOW in between the original base set till now. Most cards of the the same vein had fair drawbacks; Poke-Blower needs to be played in pairs, Reversal needs a flip, Double Gust hurts yourself as well, POW Hand Extension needs you to be down in prizes, and it goes on.

Getting to drag out any Pokemon on the bench for no draw back is just detrimental for the game, reducing the intellectual challenges and ruining the fun. Then again, the Pokemon Company has not done any good in improving, maintaining the game or even stopping it from deteriorating further.

-No rotation? Rotation? Mid-season rotation? wat?
-1 energy for 60. Yea that's a good idea.
-We like Gengar. Let's make a Stadium that only Gengar uses.
-Let's make the game more luck based so whoever starts first has no disadvantage whatsoever!
-We need to slow down the format. Moar Trainers. Oh yea, 1 energy for 120, that's a good idea.
-Special Conditions were useless in the format, and have never done well competitively. Let's make it more useless by introducing ABILITIES, you can use them even with Special Conditions!
-Confusing games are good, so discard your Supporter once you use it, you can only use one per turn though.
-While we're at it, let's just rename the Trainers, Supporters and Stadiums. Cause ya know, we can.
-Dialga & Palkia Legend: Increase your opponent's prizes! Hey that's sounds cool!
-Let's then make it useless by introducing two basic Pokemon with 130HP, both are DPL's weakness, and have attacks that make Steelix Prime look like a wuss.

My opinions, as posted on http://google.com/.

Riskbreakers said:
One more downside of Catcher is that you are reducing consistency cards to have the ability to use it.

doesn't matter. catcher is 1 of those cards that is going to be a staple in a lot of decks. so if everyone is playing it. we will all be at a neutral standard.

julliant said:
...Your post was perfect in every conceivable way. Except that I have no idea if it actually answers this topic's actual question.

DNA said:
julliant said:
...Your post was perfect in every conceivable way. Except that I have no idea if it actually answers this topic's actual question.

Except for the last few points, why doesn't it? Sorry if I wasn't being clear enough, I thought it's evident enough that I'm against Catcher even being released, and while I don't think it will be banned, I feel that it should.

I cant wait for Catcher to come out, as one of those people that play donphan yanmega this card will IMO make my deck amazing!!! and if someone uses catcher on me its ok because it is very easy for decks like mine to recover and then we have that stadium that I hope will come out combined with catcher will IMO make donphan broke!!!

Redsteal said:
I cant wait for Catcher to come out, as one of those people that play donphan yanmega this card will IMO make my deck amazing!!! and if someone uses catcher on me its ok because it is very easy for decks like mine to recover and then we have that stadium that I hope will come out combined with catcher will IMO make donphan broke!!!

What stadium? And dude, you say you want catcher now. But trust me. The day you find a combo like "Ohhh! I so want to play that!" and then the whole "o wait. catcher is out, it makes my whole bench un-safe". Unless you do plan to play donphan/yanmega the entire season. even those decks will get stuff pulled up (cleffa, yamna, phanpy).

SPIRE_FAN said:
Redsteal said:

What stadium? And dude, you say you want catcher now. But trust me. The day you find a combo like "Ohhh! I so want to play that!" and then the whole "o wait. catcher is out, it makes my whole bench un-safe". Unless you do plan to play donphan/yanmega the entire season. even those decks will get stuff pulled up (cleffa, yamna, phanpy).

There is some stadium that has been released as an online image, its pretty much Supierors Ability in stadium forum, and I actully do plan on playing Donphan Yanmega or Yanmega jumfluff, so at least half of my deck will have free retreat and when catcher comes out everyone will play switch, ( thank god I do) and the only pokemon that dont have free retreat in my deck is phanpy and donphan lol yanma still have free retreat, well the one that I play, I think it will just be a fun card to use on everyone who plays embor lol

Redsteal said:
There is some stadium that has been released as an online image, its pretty much Supierors Ability in stadium forum

Link to the picture please? Or I don't believe you, no offense.

On topic:

Again, Catcher isn't super overpowerd..we have something called Vileplume which makes catcher not do Anything

mlouden03 said:
Redsteal said:
There is some stadium that has been released as an online image, its pretty much Supierors Ability in stadium forum

On topic:

Again, Catcher isn't super overpowerd..we have something called Vileplume which makes catcher not do Anything
http://pidgi.net/beta/images/c/ce/Pokemon_Center_KR_-_TCG.jpg
Translation: Each player removes 1 damage counter from each of his or her Benched Pokémon at the end of his or her turn.

I hope it comes out in this next set but it probably wont >.> but im hoping hard core, and also when you look at the new rule book that explain the new black and white rules thats the card they use as an example of a stadium if i am correct

Had fun times with gust of wind back in the day, but no I think it'll just make things interesting.

I don't personally see the problem with catcher to be honest. At the moment UniChamp is a broken deck if it's able to get a full set up. When the new stadium comes out, which effectively acts like Royal Heal for both players. It will make it even better since you have a 150hp tank hitting for 150 damage every turn turn and moving all the damage counters and healing 100hp every turn. Unless you run Mew Prime with Jumpluff you won't be taking this deck down. Catcher will at least provide a counter to this deck and will cause people to think up different strategies which don't rely on bench sitters or high retreat pokémon. While catcher will kill a few decks, it will allow a few others which up until now have beeen dismissed.

Redsteal said:
mlouden03 said:
Redsteal said:

On topic:

Translation: Each player removes 1 damage counter from each of his or her Benched Pokémon at the end of his or her turn.

I hope it comes out in this next set but it probably wont >.> but im hoping hard core, and also when you look at the new rule book that explain the new black and white rules thats the card they use as an example of a stadium if i am correct

Wow that Stadium hurts the Tyranitar Prime/Mandibuzz snipe strategy quite a bit and enables Donphan Prime to Earthquake with no drawbacks. Luckily we have Solrock and Lunatone from Triumphant to stop players from removing damage counters even then we'll need a counter Stadium to replace BTS, Burned Tower
or Indigo Plateau with Rayquaza/Deoxys LEGEND FTW?

Card Slinger J said:
Redsteal said:
mlouden03 said:
Redsteal said:

On topic:

Wow that Stadium hurts the Tyranitar Prime/Mandibuzz snipe strategy quite a bit and enables Donphan Prime to Earthquake with no drawbacks. Luckily we have Solrock and Lunatone from Triumphant to stop players from removing damage counters even then we'll need a counter Stadium to replace BTS, Burned Tower
or Indigo Plateau with Rayquaza/Deoxys LEGEND FTW?

The only Problem I see with lunatone and Solrock is that you can just Cather them up and kill very easily and I am excited for the staduim because I love to pressure with donphans earthquake attack I just hate the draw back >.>

Card Slinger J said:
But this could mean that more people will be running Vileplume tech's to counter Catcher.
And/or maxing out their own catcher along with switch/ssu/junk arm. I really dont like the idea of catcher because it will be one of those cards that everyone will have to either run or counter to stay competitive.

On the donphan point I see the stadium as both a curse and a blessing. It will make DonChamp harder to pull off if the opponent is running it but at the same time will really hurt T-Tar/Mandibuzz and especially Kindra/mandibuzz. Straight donphan users will like it because they can earthquake without bench damage which is nice but since it also heals your opponents pokemon I see it hurting Donphan in matchups like Reshiram. (you hit for 60 that becomes 50 during opponents turn. Meaning it would now require 2 pluspower take out a reshiram in 2 turns instead of just 1.)

ogeray said:
not really. pokemon center only heals benched pokemon.
Oh so it does i read it wrong. My mistake guess that means its about that time to get some rest things are blurring together haha.

in a fair and slower format Pokemon Catcher should not even see a US release to be honest - Gust of wind is a card a friend of mine plays heavily at our league. its horrible against newer decks and just sets up newer cards to fail. if released it'll make disruption too huge IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back