Help Shell Trap question

Mario W

Aspiring Trainer
Is Turtonator GX's move "Shell Trap" blocked by alolan ninetales/hoopas ability?

For those that don't know, nine/hoop have an ability that block all damage dealt by EX/GX pokemon. However, Shell Trap's text reads as follows...

".....put 8 damage counters on the opponents Pokémon"

Does that blow past the blocking ability? Because its not damage coming from your GX, its you as a player putting the counters on, right?

Safeguard reads, "Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokémon by your opponent's Pokémon-GX or Pokémon-EX."
The damage counters placed by Shell Trap are an effect of it's attack so they are prevented by Safeguard.

Great question. I'm actually not sure on this one. But I guess Shell Trap doesn't actually place damage counters. But my argument is, that when a Safeguard Pokemon attacks into Turf, that's when the effect happens, so it could be said that the Safeguard Pokemon took damage because of It's attack. To add to the question, is Shell Trap affected by Pokemon Ranger? The answer to both questions should be the same.

Great question. I'm actually not sure on this one. But I guess Shell Trap doesn't actually place damage counters. But my argument is, that when a Safeguard Pokemon attacks into Turf, that's when the effect happens, so it could be said that the Safeguard Pokemon took damage because of It's attack. To add to the question, is Shell Trap affected by Pokemon Ranger? The answer to both questions should be the same.
Shell trap is affected by pokemon ranger.

Safeguard reads, "Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokémon by your opponent's Pokémon-GX or Pokémon-EX."
The damage counters placed by Shell Trap are an effect of it's attack so they are prevented by Safeguard.
There are several Pokémon with a Safeguard Ability essentially preventing the attack of a Pokémon EX/GX, but this may not be the case. @Mario W - please confirm you are referring to the Alolan Ninetales and Hoopa specified below.

Alolan Ninetales (BUS 28) has an Ability, Luminous Barrier, that "prevents all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokémon by your opponent's Pokémon GX and Pokémon EX." So, this Alolan Ninetales can safely attack a Shell Trap'ped Turtonator GX without receiving Turtonator GX's Shell Trap's effect of 8 damage counters. Further, Hoopa (SLG 55) has a similar Ability (Scoundrel Guard); so, it would also be protected from the Turtonator GX's Shell Trap effect. The assumption in both cases is that Luminous Barrier or the Scoundrel Guard Ability is active.

...To add to the question, is Shell Trap affected by Pokemon Ranger? The answer to both questions should be the same.
I agree. From earlier discussions and my understanding of how Pokémon Ranger "works," Pokémon Ranger Nullifies active lingering effects, for example Seisitoad EX's Quaking Punch attack. So, I would suspect Pokémon Ranger would also nullify the Shell Trap effect too.

Back