Seismitoad / Crawdaunt?

RedGyarados

Aspiring Trainer
Does it have potential? I mean, garbodor is still great. But crawdaunt plus hammers would really slow down an opponent to attack. And if you want locking abilities, silent lab is there.
What do you think?

RE: Seismitoad/Crawdaunt?

Definitely has potential! The time when I played this deck type, I had to be super conservative with my energy. I generally could only place energy down when I was actually going to attack, or was going to discard the energy by Juniper, and Ns are just plain annoying to 'deprive' resources. I'm sure this deck would ruin most Fairy-archetypes and nearly every Yveltal deck. Fighting would also struggle due to the lack of energy acceleration, while the deck would be a pain for Night March and Flareon. Even opposing Toad decks would be pretty fed up. Honestly, only low energy costs can get powered up to do sufficient damage.

I tested this and bbninjas is right on the money. Head Ringer is Seismitoad's worst nightmare; combined with Crawdaunt and a healthy dose of hammers, Seismitoad should never attack, ever. I fought a toad-puff deck and got Quaking Punched exactly once, and only because he had the turn one Xerosic to remove my Head Ringer. The next turn I Crawdaunted his DCE away, he couldn't draw another one, and another Head Ringer the next turn sealed his fate.

Crawdaunt is the least of Night March's concerns. Mew and Leafeon both attack with one energy. Still, you can help ensure your toads never get Leaf Bladed or whatever Leafeon's second move is.

Right now I am running like maximum disruption (3 of each hammer + head ringer + SSU + Scoop Up Cyclone), but I'm finding that I can't get to my supporters even with Random Receiver and VS Seeker.

Would Red Card ever be useful if your opponent's hand gets 'too big'?

I see why you'd want to, but I don't think so. If your opponent has a huge hand, it's because it's full of unusable items. If you want to decrease your opponent's hand size, just use N.

I also don't know how there would be any room for it. My version is tight enough on space as it is; the only thing I could think of getting rid of is the basic darks, and I like them in case of Aegislash or something.

I want to run Virbank, Silent Lab, and Magnetic Storm all at the same time. ;/

Gardevoir is going to be big in our local meta. That's why I want to try this out. Any idea which pokemon would be your damage dealer? I mean after removing the energies on the board, you want to deal some good amount of damage. Laserbank I think would consume a lot of space and make the deck clunky.

Seismitoad is your damage dealer. Quaking Punch is key because it denies your opponent access to things like Professor's Letter and Energy Retrieval. Laserbank does take up a lot of space, but it's almost necessary. Here's my rough list, feel free to make tweaks:

4 Corphish
4 Crawdaunt
4 Seismitoad-EX

4 Sycamore
2 N

4 Crushing Hammer
3 Super Scoop Up
3 Enhanced Hammer
3 Head Ringer
3 VS Seeker
3 Muscle Band
3 Float Stone
3 Hypnotoxic Laser
2 Random Receiver
1 Scoop Up Cyclone

2 Virbank

4 DCE
5 Dark

Two things: Do you need the Float Stone and could you swap out 3 cards for 2 RR and 1 VS Seeker for maximum draw, if that's a problem?

I'm going to officially say that the mirror match takes 40 turns long to complete... primarily due to the decks either lazing around and do nothing or both decks stalling equally.

It seems that this deck can turn around from a huge huge prize lead. One of the players got to 1 Prize card, while the other still had 6, however the game ended with the behind player winning.

Oh, and Corphish got *this* close to taking the fame! Don't underestimate the cheap energy cost.

After playing with this deck a little bit, I've been wondering two things.

1. Which Supporters should be ran in what amounts? Currently, I'm using 4 N, 4 Juniper, 2 Skyla, 1 Lysandre's Trump Card and 1 Lysandre, as well as 4 VS. Seeker. I feel that although there is not much draw, it is consistent.

2. How necessary is Ultra Ball? Should Repeat Ball be used over it, or with it? I've been thinking of switching 2 or 3 of my 4 Ultra Ball for Repeat Ball for the ease of streaming Crawdaunt without having to discard things. However, I feel like I will run into situations where I don't have any Crawdaunt out for Repeat Ball to search for.

I think the opposite it more devastating. Having just corphish on the bench without any way to search for Seismitoad. Ultra Balls are a must. If you are going to use more than 4 poke balls. then you use something like repeat ball.

Too bad I already let go of my laserbank. Anymore suggestions for a damage dealer?

About the pokeballs. I think a 3-1 or 3-2 split of ultra/repeat would be nice.

There really isn't much you can do with seismitoad to do more damage. Muscle bands/ laser bank. Maybe Greninja. But really that just takes up too much space and slows you down. Maybe something will come out in the next few sets that can allow seismitoad to do more damage. Without it, you are looking at a 4HKO at best on EX pokemon. If you happen to run into a water deck with rough seas. Well good luck.

Yeah, you'll find times when the repeat ball over ultra ball stuffs things up due to not getting that staple card. However, there is the possibility you could run Dive Ball, since your main attackers and the good ol' basics are water types.

Seismitoad is already defining the format; I doubt any card will come out that will allow him to do even more damage than he already can.

I still like Ultra Ball. Most of the time, discarding things isn't a problem.

Back