Salamence LP/Render

Sonic Gal

Poke and the Man!
Had tons of fun with this. All elements created by myself, including Salamence:

salamencelpsmall.jpg

The render:

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/1347/salamencerender.png

Enjoy!

Alas, look very closely at the leg. You will see that the tail is lower.

It's hard to explain, but I made it so that the tail was whipped to the side. That is why the rest of the tail is dark and Salamence's leg obscures the beginning point of the tail.

Salamence itself is great, but I'm bothered by the background. One characteristic of Pokémon card artwork is that they almost always have vivid backgrounds behind their Pokémon. (Not so much with Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums, but that's a separate tradition, it seems.) For instance, you never see a cloudy sky like that. You also see rain, lightning, and/or the surrounding landscape from a low angle shot.

An example would be Dark Dragonite from EX Team Rocket Returns, which your artwork reminds me very much of. Behind Dragonite is a full moon filling up a bunch of negative space. (Your Salamence fills up the negative space very nicely though, so a better example might be Bronzong from Great Encounters.)

It's what separates the artwork of this game from that of Yu-Gi-Oh!, whose artwor I could never stand because every monster looks like they're standing in front of a void of some sort.

Thanks Ophie, but this piece wasn't made for a card. If it were, I would have applied more effects such as lightning and rain, make Salamence appear less cartoon-like (removing the outlining), and make all elememnts appear more realistic. :/

*Jealous of that beautiful signature ><*

That is kind hard of a stance to draw was it? I don't know what I see is right, but I'm just gonna say it out and if it turns out wrong Please correct me, We are all learning :)

The right upper leg seems too long to me.

The eyebrow on the right side stick out. So there should also be a little stick out of the right side too.

I don't know about the tail, but some thing seems off. I think its the red and blue(which was the upper and lower part?) wasn't quite right.

I like your use of shading though. There are detail shading like the limb shading that you told me and also some obvious gradient :D. This helps me as a reference for my next scans.

Ryuu7 said:
*Jealous of that beautiful signature ><*

That is kind hard of a stance to draw was it? I don't know what I see is right, but I'm just gonna say it out and if it turns out wrong Please correct me, We are all learning :)

The right upper leg seems too long to me.

The eyebrow on the right side stick out. So there should also be a little stick out of the right side too.

I don't know about the tail, but some thing seems off. I think its the red and blue(which was the upper and lower part?) wasn't quite right.

I like your use of shading though. There are detail shading like the limb shading that you told me and also some obvious gradient :D. This helps me as a reference for my next scans.

The stance was a bit difficult, but not too too hard. I believe the eyebrow is supposed to stick out, I made sure of it by referring to other Salamence pictures. I didn't use any gradients for shading though. o_O

oops typo error ^^"
"The eyebrow on the right side stick out. So there should also be a little stick out of the left side too."

Back