Discussion Salamance EX's Viability

daniil123

Aspiring Trainer
so i saw the the new salamance ex and garchomp ex boxes come out next month and while garchomp isn't good and mega salamance isn't good, the plain salamance ex is interesting

his first attack beast fang costs a fire and 2 colorless and it does 10 plus an additional fifty for each ex pokemon your opponent has in play. that's adds up fast right? let's say you're opponenet is playing mewtwo. he has active mega mewtwo, a hoopa ex, a shaymin ex and a backup mewtwo in play. that's 4 ex's and salamance starts swinging for 210. that's ohko mega mewtwo. for 2 attachments that's good.

now my questions is whether he's good enough to bulid a deck around him, or is he more of a tech in stuff like darkrai giratina?

Its something worth looking into but what do you do if you run into a deck that doesn't use them? The Mewtwo player could also refuse to play any Pokemon and go in with a solo M Mewtwo EX. I think the card is ok but it does need something else to make it more stable. You could run it with Pokepuff to force cards to hit the bench, maybe combo it with buddy- buddy rescue. It seems fun and would need a very special list to work. Reshiram could also be used to get energy into play.

I'd say it's a decent card to drop a copy in for DarkTina decks or something that doesn't have to bend its back out to accommodate for it, you could catch an opponent off-guard after they've loaded their field with EXs for you beforehand, but I wouldn't build a deck entirely around it. As stated, if your opponent doesn't play EXs it's a pretty dead card, and people can play around it if they know you're running it.

I think this deck works in vileplume. It runs rainbow energy and dce anyways and ninja boy shenanigans are in effect

It's definetly an interesting card. It did okay in Japan and I could see it being used in PlumeBox, Dark/Dragons, and maybe metal/Dragons variants or RayEels

Back