• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Sableye

the metagross

Aspiring Trainer
one of my favorite decks is sableye but everyone says its teir three why is that it is amazing and what is its worst matchups

Sableye is a good deck, and fun at that. From my experience by playing it, its weaknesses are anything that can one shot it quicker than you can set up; since Sableye is a deck that WANTS to slow the game down.

Weaknesses:

- Low Energy attackers

- Things that can retrieve back energy easily

I'd say Volcanion is its worst matchup.

Sableye is a good deck, and fun at that. From my experience by playing it, its weaknesses are anything that can one shot it quicker than you can set up; since Sableye is a deck that WANTS to slow the game down.

Weaknesses:

- Low Energy attackers

- Things that can retrieve back energy easily

I'd say Volcanion is its worst matchup.
Nah, Volcanion is bad, but not NEARLY as bad as Trevenant or Toad. Trevenant is just scary now, and Toad is more just annoying. Sableye is a good sleeper deck, but Item lock is pretty bad, and lots of people who try the deck out don't play optimally or aren't good at playing it with the time limit. Alex Koch is really well known in the community for playing Sableye, and from what I remember, being one of the few players who can play the deck well enough to top 8 with it. Volcanion is actually kind of a good matchup because they draw a lot of cards and usually play Battle Compressor. I think most expanded decks are beatable with at least a 50-50 except for Trevenant which will usually go to 90-10 and Toad variants which probably go 65-45. I have a lot of experience with the deck, so if there's a list you're looking for I can provide one, or you can use Google to find one from Pokemon's old events.

Nah, Volcanion is bad, but not NEARLY as bad as Trevenant or Toad. Trevenant is just scary now, and Toad is more just annoying. Sableye is a good sleeper deck, but Item lock is pretty bad, and lots of people who try the deck out don't play optimally or aren't good at playing it with the time limit. Alex Koch is really well known in the community for playing Sableye, and from what I remember, being one of the few players who can play the deck well enough to top 8 with it. Volcanion is actually kind of a good matchup because they draw a lot of cards and usually play Battle Compressor. I think most expanded decks are beatable with at least a 50-50 except for Trevenant which will usually go to 90-10 and Toad variants which probably go 65-45. I have a lot of experience with the deck, so if there's a list you're looking for I can provide one, or you can use Google to find one from Pokemon's old events.
All true, any Item lock deck hurts Sableye pretty badly.

All true, any Item lock deck hurts Sableye pretty badly.
I mean, if Sableye can consistently Hex, then it can possibly beat Trevenant with a stroke of luck, and since Sableye lists should be teching for Energy disruption:2-3 Flare Grunt, 1-2 Plumeria, 1 Xerosic, and 1 Skull Grunt, Toad is beatable. I've actually been meaning to rebuild Sableye again. Also, I forgot that Sableye lists play a Latias EX specifically for Trees

Was loosing to Sableye with my Ninja deck until i included promo Electrike with ancient trait. Since then, i never lost to it unless i had it prized. I just bench it, charge all my energy on it until i am ready then i Ninja Boy into an attacker and with so many energy Sableye got no good way to discard it all quick enough before it all falls apart.

Omega trait ftw.

Was loosing to Sableye with my Ninja deck until i included promo Electrike with ancient trait. Since then, i never lost to it unless i had it prized. I just bench it, charge all my energy on it until i am ready then i Ninja Boy into an attacker and with so many energy Sableye got no good way to discard it all quick enough before it all falls apart.

Omega trait ftw.
Electrike isn't a promo. And if you stack all of your Energy on 1 mon, then I just Lysandre something with nothing on it and stall you for deck out. And you'd be surprised how many Energy Sableye can discard in up to 3 turns.

Electrike isn't a promo. And if you stack all of your Energy on 1 mon, then I just Lysandre something with nothing on it and stall you for deck out. And you'd be surprised how many Energy Sableye can discard in up to 3 turns.

Ω Barrier
Description: Whenever your opponent plays a Trainer card (excluding Pokémon Tools and Stadium cards), prevent all effects of that card done to this Pokémon.

Electrike with ancient trait cannot be Lysandre and you cannot discard energy from it with Hammers or supporters. The only way to deal with it would be to Escape rope and then use a proper attacker to OHKO it.

I never found myself playing against a single Sableye with Escape rope and most of them never had a decent attacker too. And yes Electrike is only 50 Hp but Regirock as ancient trait also and 110 Hp. I am playing Electrike just because i do not have Regirock.

Omega ancient trait owns Sableye. Try winning against a M Groudon deck and tell me how it went for you.

Ω Barrier
Description: Whenever your opponent plays a Trainer card (excluding Pokémon Tools and Stadium cards), prevent all effects of that card done to this Pokémon.

Electrike with ancient trait cannot be Lysandre and you cannot discard energy from it with Hammers or supporters. The only way to deal with it would be to Escape rope and then use a proper attacker to OHKO it.

I never found myself playing against a single Sableye with Escape rope and most of them never had a decent attacker too. And yes Electrike is only 50 Hp but Regirock as ancient trait also and 110 Hp. I am playing Electrike just because i do not have Regirock.

Omega ancient trait owns Sableye. Try winning against a M Groudon deck and tell me how it went for you.
And if you stack all of your Energy on 1 mon, then I just Lysandre something with nothing on it
What I meant by discarding Energy in 3 turns is that after you Ninja Boy, I can discard your Energy. Primal Groudon isn't that hard to beat, I can Lysandre stall Wobbuffet and every time they manually retreat they waste Energy, and they only play 1 Float Stone if they even do play it. Even though it's likely they play 1-2 Guzma, it's still a winnable matchup. And Groudon doesn't exactly have a reliable way to discard my Life Dew, so if something goes wrong, I can force the tie.
Also, Sableye plays a one-of Lele, so I kind of do have an attacker, but Sableye only plays 6 Energy and no Escape Rope, so it's not very likely to attack.

What I meant by discarding Energy in 3 turns is that after you Ninja Boy, I can discard your Energy. Primal Groudon isn't that hard to beat, I can Lysandre stall Wobbuffet and every time they manually retreat they waste Energy, and they only play 1 Float Stone if they even do play it. Even though it's likely they play 1-2 Guzma, it's still a winnable matchup. And Groudon doesn't exactly have a reliable way to discard my Life Dew, so if something goes wrong, I can force the tie.
Also, Sableye plays a one-of Lele, so I kind of do have an attacker, but Sableye only plays 6 Energy and no Escape Rope, so it's not very likely to attack.

Did not play against any Sableye deck since Burning Shadows but as i said, i did not loose to Sableye with Electrike. I got 12 energies in my deck so i can afford to loose some. Also, electrike as a weak attack but it can still be annying to Sableye since it paralyzes and can KO Sableye after some turns.

Back