Rubber Band Car School Project

Meaty

You can't deny that Psyduck is beast. I guess.
Okay, hey guys. Recently for my physics class I've been assigned a project where I have to somehow make a car out of household items, or "non-intended parts" and make it go at least 6 meters by powering it with no more than 2 rubber bands. I also have a crazy amount of crazy restrictions: I can't propel the car like a slingshot, I need at least 3 wheels, no mousetraps are allowed(Idk what the heck that's about), I can't use propellers or sails or balloons, no CDs or DVDs, no materials like legoes or pinewood derby stuff, or any cups or cans. Now I think this project is dumb and unfair since we've learned nothing relating to any of this, and I could use some help. Do you guys have any comments or suggestions?

A mousetrap is one of the best ways to make a car go, and I think that's why it's part of the restriction. We made mousetrap cars in one of my classes one year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVMEclmIQss

Something like this will show you how they work. Tons of fun!

Have no fear, a physics student with far too much time on his hands is here!

You will need:

One bottle (800 ml)
Three pencils (sharpen one until it's about an inch across and then blunt it)
Four bottle caps (the bigger the better)
Scissors
Tape
Glue

HowToMakeARocket.jpg

(part 6 is optional...)

How to make rocket go

Unscrew the bottle cap and lay both your elastic bands inside the rocket, with their ends poking out of the hole. Then screw the cap back on, making sure that the rubber bands get caught (so they are fixed and cannot be pulled out easily). You then loop both bands across the pencil stub, and wind up! Do not sellotape the bands to the stub, they need to be free to ping off after they are done releasing their tension energy.

Back