Ruling Robo Substitute Clarification

Darkeh3

Aspiring Trainer
Hi guys,

Sorry if this question seems obvious, but I can't find it explicitly stated anywhere.

http://pokebeach.com/scans/phantom-forces/102-robo-substitute.jpg

For the new Robo Substitute card, I know it becomes a basic 30 HP pokemon when its played on the bench, and that it cannot be played on the active first turn.

What I'm not too sure about is whether this means that this card can be the only "pokemon" on your side of the field. So for example, I have only robo substitutes on the bench and just a single Pyroar in play. The pyroar gets knocked out, and I push up a robo substitute, meaning nothing other then substitutes are left on my side of the field. Does the game end or not? (Assuming both my opponent and I still have prizes to take of course)

Clarification would be nice. Thanks in advance.

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member
Robo Substitute is considered a Pokemon rather than an Item card while it is in play. While in your hand, deck, or discard it's considered an Item, but once it's been "played" it becomes a Pokemon in all respects. You can even attach tools and energy to it, though that's probably pointless since it has no attacks. The only differences between Robo Substitute and an ordinary Pokemon (after it's been played) are that it can't retreat, your opponent takes no prizes for knocking it out, and you may discard it at any time before you attack. Once it's in the discard, it's no longer "in play" and reverts to being an Item. However, since it is considered a Pokemon while in play, if your only "real" Pokemon is KOed, the game isn't over, you promote a Robo Substitute to the active, and play continues as normal.