Help Returning Player With Lots of Questions!

Brown_Unibrow

Aspiring Trainer
Hello! I played TCG semi-competitively last December when Yveltal+Zoroark+Gallade and Night March ruled the land. I then stopped playing and sold all of my cards. I decided I'd like to get back into it, but online with PTCGO. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the meta is, what the current standard format is, what the current staples are, and what's been reprinted that I should know about. Could anyone help answer one or more of those questions?

I decided I'd like to get back into it, but online with PTCGO.

Are you going to invest money or just time into the PTCGO? Sorry to answer questions with another question, but it makes a huge difference on what you need to learn.

If you're going to sink some cash into the PTCGO so that you can get booster packs to trade for what you need, then you'll need to know the current metagame for the four PTCGO formats (Theme, Standard, Expanded, Legacy) right away. If you're going to try to play for free like myself, then what you need to focus on is the most efficient way to grind in game rewards from the PTCGO. In both cases you'll need to learn how to best trade because you cannot directly buy most important cards on the PTCGO; you can grind for booster packs to trade, you can buy firsthand product to get its PTCGO Redemption Codes, or you can find a trusted website to buy just the codes themselves.

If you're wondering why this might mean you don't have to worry about the Standard/Expanded/Legacy metagames yet, the short version is even if you plan on investing, I recommend starting with the Theme Deck mode just to get used to how things work with regards to in game rewards, tournaments, etc. on the PTCGO. I am running short of time now, so let me know if you want more help in this area, or are only worried about the online metagame. The online metagame is pretty similar to the IRL metagame, so the main thing to do is just google for results from recent tournaments. I know a fan run site that does a good job of giving you who won and with what, but I forget the linking rules for this site and it just gives deck names/general descriptions and not lists. Fortunately pokemon.com posts the Top 8 decks for many events, and are usually among the Google search results, like this.

Are you going to invest money or just time into the PTCGO? Sorry to answer questions with another question, but it makes a huge difference on what you need to learn.

If you're going to sink some cash into the PTCGO so that you can get booster packs to trade for what you need, then you'll need to know the current metagame for the four PTCGO formats (Theme, Standard, Expanded, Legacy) right away. If you're going to try to play for free like myself, then what you need to focus on is the most efficient way to grind in game rewards from the PTCGO. In both cases you'll need to learn how to best trade because you cannot directly buy most important cards on the PTCGO; you can grind for booster packs to trade, you can buy firsthand product to get its PTCGO Redemption Codes, or you can find a trusted website to buy just the codes themselves.

If you're wondering why this might mean you don't have to worry about the Standard/Expanded/Legacy metagames yet, the short version is even if you plan on investing, I recommend starting with the Theme Deck mode just to get used to how things work with regards to in game rewards, tournaments, etc. on the PTCGO. I am running short of time now, so let me know if you want more help in this area, or are only worried about the online metagame. The online metagame is pretty similar to the IRL metagame, so the main thing to do is just google for results from recent tournaments. I know a fan run site that does a good job of giving you who won and with what, but I forget the linking rules for this site and it just gives deck names/general descriptions and not lists. Fortunately pokemon.com posts the Top 8 decks for many events, and are usually among the Google search results, like this.
I may eventually spend some cash, but I don't plan to spend a lot. I played PTCGO as a little side thing when I couldn't use my IRL cards, so I know how it works and have a lot of the staple cards like Sycamore, VS Seeker, and even a Shaymin. As far as formats go, I only plan to keep up with Standard.

What do you recommend doing to grind tradeable booster packs?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
@Brown_Unibrow

I recommend learning to love the other formats... or at least tolerate 'em. I usually favor Legacy, but until like three hours from this post, there are increased Token rewards on the bonus wheel, so I've been playing a lot more than usual. That means getting frustrated with things pretty quickly, so being able to shift gears and go through all four formats, sometimes with multiple solid deck options really helps. It also ties into some other points.

Don't neglect bonuses like the Rewards Ladder, buying stuff with Tokens in the store, etc. While these are "Trade locked" rewards they can still be really helpful. Even if you already have the card(s) in question, each trade locked copy frees up a tradeable copy you already have. Trade locked booster packs are the only ones you ought to be opening, and sometimes you do get something good (just not very often).

Anyway, when it comes to grinding tradeable booster packs, you find the other reason for grinding the ladder; while the booster packs you receive from the ladder are (again) trade-locked, rewards include the Tickets you use for tournament play. This is also another reason why I said you should strive to get at least one competitive deck for each format and learn the fundamentals of the other formats; the best way to grind tradeable booster packs is in the On Demand tournaments, found under the Events tab. If you grind through the entire rewards ladder, don't have awful luck on the (Winner's) Bonus Reward's Wheel, get your Daily Log In Bonus every day, etc. you should easily be able to play in one tournament per week, maybe two. You should pay attention to what time of day you play (for any of these modes) as you will likely find a sweet spot where you are free to play but the competition is less fierce.

@Brown_Unibrow

I recommend learning to love the other formats... or at least tolerate 'em. I usually favor Legacy, but until like three hours from this post, there are increased Token rewards on the bonus wheel, so I've been playing a lot more than usual. That means getting frustrated with things pretty quickly, so being able to shift gears and go through all four formats, sometimes with multiple solid deck options really helps. It also ties into some other points.

Don't neglect bonuses like the Rewards Ladder, buying stuff with Tokens in the store, etc. While these are "Trade locked" rewards they can still be really helpful. Even if you already have the card(s) in question, each trade locked copy frees up a tradeable copy you already have. Trade locked booster packs are the only ones you ought to be opening, and sometimes you do get something good (just not very often).

Anyway, when it comes to grinding tradeable booster packs, you find the other reason for grinding the ladder; while the booster packs you receive from the ladder are (again) trade-locked, rewards include the Tickets you use for tournament play. This is also another reason why I said you should strive to get at least one competitive deck for each format and learn the fundamentals of the other formats; the best way to grind tradeable booster packs is in the On Demand tournaments, found under the Events tab. If you grind through the entire rewards ladder, don't have awful luck on the (Winner's) Bonus Reward's Wheel, get your Daily Log In Bonus every day, etc. you should easily be able to play in one tournament per week, maybe two. You should pay attention to what time of day you play (for any of these modes) as you will likely find a sweet spot where you are free to play but the competition is less fierce.
Thank you very much. What do your recommend spending coins/tokens on? Trade fees? Booster packs? Multi-pack blisters?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Thank you very much. What do your recommend spending coins/tokens on? Trade fees? Booster packs? Multi-pack blisters?

Sorry for all of the questions.

S'okay.

Here is what I focus on and why:

Temporary deals for stuff I don't have: if it isn't in the store for long stretches and it isn't easily available otherwise, it seems prudent to purchase it. Even a promo that looks iffy might someday be good, and if that happens then you'll have to pay through the nose in traded boosters to someone who had a non-locked version available. Same goes for gaming related stuff like sleeves and deck boxes if you care about such things.

If you're starting from nothing or next to nothing, I recommend saving up for the "better" Theme Decks. Daily Challenges can make for relatively easy Tokens or boosters, but the latter are sometimes trade-locked. I think it depends on whether you won or lost the match where you unlock a booster. Anyway, Daily Challenges can be about doing 1000 damage, Evolving 10 times, or taking 16 KOs all based around a particular Type. So more Theme Decks of different Types the easier it can be to grind these things out. Obviously each deck grants its contents to your general card pool, and gives you a chance to unluck a bonus booster as well. Theme decks, however, aren't too pressing if you don't need to fill a gap because they remain in the online store until their related expansion rotates from Standard play. Exception: Sometimes retro theme decks pop up and are limited time things.

Otherwise focus for transitory stuff that won't be available long (even if it doesn't look good at the time) and good deals. Like I said if you get something you need, even if you already have an unlocked version, it just means you can trade away the spare. You'll also need them for trades (as you say) and there is usually one tournament running that accepts Tokens and pays out Tickets (instead of boosters). Definitely important for grinding.

S'okay.

Here is what I focus on and why:

Temporary deals for stuff I don't have: if it isn't in the store for long stretches and it isn't easily available otherwise, it seems prudent to purchase it. Even a promo that looks iffy might someday be good, and if that happens then you'll have to pay through the nose in traded boosters to someone who had a non-locked version available. Same goes for gaming related stuff like sleeves and deck boxes if you care about such things.

If you're starting from nothing or next to nothing, I recommend saving up for the "better" Theme Decks. Daily Challenges can make for relatively easy Tokens or boosters, but the latter are sometimes trade-locked. I think it depends on whether you won or lost the match where you unlock a booster. Anyway, Daily Challenges can be about doing 1000 damage, Evolving 10 times, or taking 16 KOs all based around a particular Type. So more Theme Decks of different Types the easier it can be to grind these things out. Obviously each deck grants its contents to your general card pool, and gives you a chance to unluck a bonus booster as well. Theme decks, however, aren't too pressing if you don't need to fill a gap because they remain in the online store until their related expansion rotates from Standard play. Exception: Sometimes retro theme decks pop up and are limited time things.

Otherwise focus for transitory stuff that won't be available long (even if it doesn't look good at the time) and good deals. Like I said if you get something you need, even if you already have an unlocked version, it just means you can trade away the spare. You'll also need them for trades (as you say) and there is usually one tournament running that accepts Tokens and pays out Tickets (instead of boosters). Definitely important for grinding.
Ok. Thank you very much!

Back