Returning player needing help

ArcherSci

Aspiring Glutton
I haven't played the TCG since around Stormfront first came out. Although I wasn't necessarily a top ranking player, I still was pretty informed of the metagame at the time (somewhat anyway). Since it's been quite a few years since I last even paid attention to TCG news, I am a bit lost as to what is currently popular at the moment. Any resources to help would be appreciated.

Let's see what I remember right now:

~Tyram - Reshiram + Typhlosion Prime. Use Blue Flare attack to discard Fire Energy, and then recycle them with Typh's Afterburner (which in turn powers up Outrage)
~Eelzone - Magnezone Prime + Eelektrik (+ Zekrom usually). Works similarly to Tyram; dump Lightning Energy in the discard as fast as you can (with Sage's Training, Junk Arm, and the like), then attach them to Benched Pokemon for Lost Burn ammo and OHKO anything.
~The Truth - Zekrom, Donphan, Suicune+Entei, Vileplume, Reuniclus, and a bunch of other things. A deck basically built to counter and cripple anything that's thrown at it. Once you know what your opponent is playing, power up the appropriate Pokemon and sweep accordingly.
~6 Corners - Unova Dragons + Unova Musketeers. Lead with Virizion to draw cards for setup, then play off your opponent's Weakness - there are 5 attacking types in the deck (6 if Virizion is counted) so that's pretty easy to do. Uses a lot of 130 HP Basics (Virizion at 110 and Cobalion at 120 are the exceptions).
~ZPST - Zekrom, Pachirisu, Shaymin, and Tornadus. Originally made as a donk deck, you can drop Pachirisu to attach 2 Lightning, drop Shaymin to move them to an Active Zekrom, attach 1 energy for your turn, and boom, instant 120. Now with Tornadus around it's built more for durability, plus, it helps against that Donphan weakness.
~Donphans and Dragons (or other variants) - Donphan + Unova Dragons. Send up a Donphan to Earthquake until there's no tomorrow, then once he's gone, send up a Dragon and Outrage for large amounts. Largely a rehashed version of the once popular Donchamp (used Machamp Prime to hit for 150 damage a turn, no drawback).
~Tornadus variants (most common one is with Terrakion) - When a deck focuses on Tornadus it usually has a backup attacker, since Hurricane moves his energy elsewhere as a neat recycle trick. Terrakion is usually the most often seen pair, since it can punish Tornadus' Lightning weakness. However, that's not to say it can't be run with other things as well.
~Chandyplume - Chandelure + Vileplume + Dodrio. Lock up your opponent, then get 2 Chandelure set up, allowing you to place up to 6 damage counters without needing to attack (use Dodrio to help you retreat). Once you can attack, hit your opponent with Burn AND Confusion, which under Item-Lock is devastating. However, since this deck largely needs - nay, requires - a Stadium card called Tropical Beach to set up, this deck comes with a VERY hefty price tag (like BLS hefty).
~Durant. This little ant speaks for itself. Its attack, for one Metal Energy, discards one card from your opponent's deck for each Durant you have in play. Therefore, the deck is built to have 4 Durant in play at all times and keep them alive as long as possible while milling your opponent - simple, yet effective.

I know there are a few that I missed, plus some that aren't as popular anymore (like Gothitelle) but I believe I hit the major ones.

Also your profile made me smile.

Welcome back to the game!

Try playing the metagame decks first to get a feel of what makes the decks good, weak,
it's consistency level and it's power level.
The best way to improve is just getting you head in the game and playing more than reading articles that are in-depth. What use is information if you can't apply it?
The deck I would highly recommend for you to use is ZPST.
ZPST, a deck that features Zekrom, Pachirisu, Shaymin and Tornadus focuses on getting Zekrom out and then use his other friends to get energy attached to him quickly and then sweep on from there.
Note that this is just a recommendation, DNA has a list of metagame decks that you can choose from so look at it and choose, but if you don`t find any of your sort, try ZPST out.

If you still have any more problems, PM me so we can chat, I`m always active, yo!
Hope this helped and thanks for reading!

Good luck in the game!

Back