Discussion Rayquaza GX Counters?

Francisco Marin

Aspiring Trainer
Since rotation happened I've been running into a lot of Rayquaza decks on ptcgo and at league in real life. Obviously I decided to play Gardevoir, but even with weakness Gardevoir just isn't as fast as Ray's set up.

I've played against people that are dealing 180 damage on their first turn lol

I'm curious as to what you guys are doing in having a favorable matchup against Ray decks?

Dedenne (Forbidden Light 88) can OHKO with choice band but must have an electric type on the bench.

Find a Friend [Fairy]
Search your deck for a Pokémon, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

Electrichain [Colorless Colorless]
30+
If you have any Lightning Pokémon on your Bench, this attack does 30 more damage.

iBa8x7w

iBa8x7w

Tapu lele from ULP with a choice band is a 1-hit (provided they have 3 energy), and zoroark/gardevoir works as a good deck against it overall.

Garbodor and hoopa are a general nuisance to ray ray unless they somehow set up with very few items with is rare

A weird idea that came up in the PB Discord: Chimecho (CRI). It can totally lock down Vika Ray completely only downside is that you can't attack turn 1 (if you're first) or if you're second your opponent can play down his important cards turn 1.

Interesting discussion!

I have to admit I'm a Rayquaza player at the moment as well. It feels like an evolved version of VikaBulu for me, which I played almost 5 months last year.

Chemecho seems like a fun tech but not consistent enough I guess. You have to have Chimecho in the active AND have a Psychic energy, otherwise you'll miss the moment. Guess that will only work if you build a whole deck around it. But against so many other decks you will be crushed... Fun idea though :)

Hoopa maybe, but if they play the Vikavolt variant, it won't be enough I guess. Most effective way is Trashalanche Garbodor indeed. Like above said, it's difficult to not play many items.

Tapu Lele and Dedenne could get a OHKO with Choice Band (and Lightning Pokémon on the bench for Dedenne), but if you're opponent can return a KO with Vikavolt, that might not be enough as well.

Like you said, even Gardevoir might not be quick enough. Although Sylveon / Gardevoir could be difficult for Ray.

Another good counter is a combination of Lycanroc GX for killing Vikavolt and then placing down Hoopa or Dedenne or Fairy Lele to stop Rayquaza.

Since Ray and Vika rely on Abilities, Weaville (both Standard versions) put the hurt on Rayqazza decks.

Tapu lele from ULP with a choice band is a 1-hit (provided they have 3 energy), and zoroark/gardevoir works as a good deck against it overall.

I run a fairy lele in my Zoroark/Banette deck! I can usually one shot a Ray if they have 3 energy on it (and if I have choice band or Kukui)

Not very splashable, but trashalanche garbodor eats ray alive, they burn through a lot of items to set up, especially with ray’s ability. I play him with zoroark and have been having some good success

Sylveon could be the real issue for Rayquaza. Unlike Gardevoir you can set it up quite quickly. I do like the inclusion of the non-GX Tapu Lele (fairy), one shots Ray with a choice band and all you really need is the unit energy.

Back