Rayquaza EX / Eelektrik

chrisdavid42 said:
I played a Rayeels at regionals and went 4-4. (this was my first competitive Pokemon event.) I would have gone 5-3 if I hadn't blundered and put my Mewtwo out one turn too soon. I have since removed Mewtwo in order to focus on consistency. I found that having both Skyarrow bridge prized cost me a match as well since I kept discarding fire energy to retreat. So I have 2 questions. What luck have you had running Emolga in this deck? And, what Plasma Storm cards could benefit this deck?

At first thought, I believed Emolga was waste of space in this deck, but I gave it a chance and OMG IT IS AAAAMAAAAAZING! It is so easy to have a turn 1 2 Rayquaza EX and 3 Tynamo bench with Emolga. And it is a great card to move up as the active after something gets Ko'ed

I like the Victini idea, but only in theory, which means that I would never use it in this deck. It will only, if helping you out at all, help you get a turn 2 1-2 prize and after that it is an easy target for your opponent. The chance of starting with it is, in percentage 1/60*100=1,66666667% so I would not risk it.

I definitely like Emogla in this deck. Although, I only run 1, and just get it with Level Ball if I know I can Call for Family turn 1 or 2.

@Soul, you'd need to use Victory Piece on Victini EX to get a turn 2 Dragon Burst without Eelektrik's, and this is probably one of the best decks to run Computer Search/Dowsing Machine in. But I do like the idea, and might test it out a bit.

As Blah said, Rotom is probably one of the best cards for the deck. Even though it makes your deck even weaker to Landorus. And I'm not sure how great Poltergeist (why would they change the name of the attack from BOLTergeist, to Poltergeist?! So much puns!!!) is, but it probably does around 40-80 on average.

I've been trying out a version of the deck with Lugia EX, to make sure you can get 2 prizes with every attack. Hit the weak things like Squirtle and Sableye with Lugia, and the EX's with Rayquaza. The deck is tight on space, and more inconsistent then the normal version, but it often sweep if you let it get set up. Thoughts?

Too inconsistent, as you said. Most of the decks nowadays are going to get setup much too quickly nowadays to allow for all the things that can go wrong in that. I just don't think Lugia works very well in anything at the moment :/

I feel like this deck gets a little better, but i stull think its at tier 2 this format, just like last format. It does gain rotom, the abuse of Colress because you use bench sitters, and a near auto win against Klinklang as it's popularity rises, if you use benchtini. The main thing that I still feel is holding this deck back is getting donked. That chance gets a lot greater now with the delayed arrival of ether and hypnotoxic laser. Also, it doesn't really have very much space to abuse Hypnotoxic laser, and with Virbrank being played, you'll have to add more skyarrow bridges to win the stadium war.

Just want to note that you should be careful when shoveling Colress into this deck. While it might seem overly good, you need to have early game supporters to allow you to fill your bench. I would say 2 maximum, and based on my testing, 1 is actually more optimal. That's the main problem with Colress, it's unreliable and you need to make sure your main draw support always works when you need it to.

Working from my phone so this'll be brief, but just wanted to put up my idea of a skeleton post-PS:

4-4 eels
3 ray ex
1 Keldeo ex
1 Emolga
1 Victini (v create)/ baby ray/ Zekrom (Victini can use SAB and beats Klinklang)

4 juniper
4 N
2 Colress
3 bianca/Skyla/Cheren/RR

3 SAB (wins Virbank wars)

1 Comp Search/Dowsing Machine (I advise Comp.)
3 Ultra ball
2 Level ball
4 catcher
2 switch (or escape rope)
1 Super Rod
1 Tool Scrapper

8 L
5 Fire/Prism

With 3 spots open.

I actually tested the Victini EX in this deck and it worked pretty well. I did not play Victory Piece, as Computer Search is just so much better. Since Victini EX has a free retreat cost anyway with Skyarrow Bridge you can simply retreat and Energy Switch the Fire Energy to Rayquaza EX (if you do not have any Eelektrik out). With Energy Switch you're also able to hit for 180 using Fire Energy if your opponent knocks out some of your Eelektrik and doesn't prepare for that move. Usually I'm not a fan of Rayeels, due to its 100% dependance on Eelektrik. It's pretty good, give it a try!

My current list looks like this:

2 Rayquaza EX
4-4 Eelektrik (Although 4-3 is also an option, but I don't like that)
2 Victini EX (Might change that to 1)
1 Victini 'V-Create'
1 Keldeo EX

3 Energy Switch
Supporters, Skyarrow Bridge, some Balls etc etc

3/4 Pokémon Catcher
3/4 Switch
1/2 Escape Rope

I'm not sure about this one, in some cases Escape Rope is almost as good as Pokémon Catcher, I gotta test this a little more.

8 Lightning Energy
5 Fire Energy

Let me know your opinion on this guys!

Blah said:
Just want to note that you should be careful when shoveling Colress into this deck. While it might seem overly good, you need to have early game supporters to allow you to fill your bench. I would say 2 maximum, and based on my testing, 1 is actually more optimal. That's the main problem with Colress, it's unreliable and you need to make sure your main draw support always works when you need it to.
2 Colress with 2 Emolga is amazing.

It seems like Victini just loves Rayeels, first fliptini was big, then it died down a little but still was played, and now there's benchtini, and Victini EX also likes the deck to accelerate from the deck and discard the energy early so you're not stuck with 3 eels out but no energy to dynamotor...

Keldeo ex would be good for the landorus match ups and it can swap in quick if needed. Put a few blend energies in instead of a few lightening so you have water energy if you need it

judda94 said:
Keldeo ex would be good for the landorus match ups and it can swap in quick if needed. Put a few blend energies in instead of a few lightening so you have water energy if you need it
Don't add blends. I wouldn't screw up the energy lineup, as it's very unlikely Keldeo will actually one shot a Landorus, but if you do, add prisms.

Anyone think its a good idea to run thunderus? With two, you could have one as active, one on bench, Eelektrik on bench, and sky arrow bridge. You could alternate between the two, need only one Eelektrik, do 80 damage every turn, yet lose the risk of losing 2 prize cards if one dies. Thoughts?

80 damage just isn't enough to do anything useful. He used to be a great starter, but even then, Rotom is WAY better as a starter who has a potiential attack damage matching that of Zekrom BW.

I actually find that Emolga is definitely the preferred starter (if there really ever was one for this deck the past couple formats).

Searching out two Basics while not outright losing to Landorus EX? Yes, please.

dmaster out.

Both are better than Thuderus at this point and time. I think it's more preference to be honest, since they have different uses. Rotom can get energy into the discard quick as well as giving you draw power, but is also nice because since he hits for all trainer cards (Items, Supporters, and Stadiums) he can do poteintialy 120 damage after a T2 N, and can also have a late game advantage believe it or not, but like you said, he does lose to Landorus EX. Emolga however, is a "Bench now, Setup now, Hope they can't recover." kind of starter, who is dead draw unless you start with him.

That's why you run 1 Energy Switch so you can get the energy attachment on Emolga for when you need it on something like Rayquaza EX or regular Rayquaza to get around Sigilyph. I get what you're saying though, Emolga does clog up bench space for better Pokemon like Keldeo EX or Mewtwo EX...

He doesn't clog up bench space, he's a free prize, and considering how fragile Eel decks are, you can take four prizes by T5 if you do it right.

POKEMON (15)
4-4 Eelektrik
2 Rayquaza EX
1 Keldeo EX
2 Emolga / Rotom
1 Victini (V-create)
1 Rayquaza (Shred)

TRAINERS (30)
4 Professor Juniper
4 N
3 Colress
2 Skyla
2 Skyarrow Bridge
1 Dowsing Machine
3 Ultra ball
2 Level ball
4 catcher
3 Switch
1 Super Rod
1 Tool Scrapper

ENERGY (13)
8 Lightning
5 Fire

Open spots: 2

This is a decklist I've been trying to work on for about a week. I feel this is a deck that just doesn't work with HTL seeing as you want to OHKO everything. I believe it's rather teched out with Victini and Keldeo, but I feel in our next format it will be extremely necessary to have them. Please give some advice. Thanks!

TPZ said:
POKEMON (15)
4-4 Eelektrik
2 Rayquaza EX
1 Keldeo EX
2 Emolga / Rotom
1 Victini (V-create)
1 Rayquaza (Shred)

TRAINERS (30)
4 Professor Juniper
4 N
3 Colress
2 Skyla
2 Skyarrow Bridge
1 Dowsing Machine
3 Ultra ball
2 Level ball
4 catcher
3 Switch
1 Super Rod
1 Tool Scrapper

ENERGY (13)
8 Lightning
5 Fire

Open spots: 2

This is a decklist I've been trying to work on for about a week. I feel this is a deck that just doesn't work with HTL seeing as you want to OHKO everything. I believe it's rather teched out with Victini and Keldeo, but I feel in our next format it will be extremely necessary to have them. Please give some advice. Thanks!

My list is similar. I run Emolga>Rotom, and:
-1 Rayquaza DV, -1 N, -1 Skyla, -1 Dowsing, -1 Switch
+1 Ray EX, +1 SAB, +2 Bianca, +1 Comp Search, +1 Energy Search, +1 Energy Switch

If any of you want to try a twist of Ray Eels, here is a skeleton of Victini Ray Eels. The deck placed 4th once, made top 8 twice in Japan's Autumn Carnivals. No list has been released but this is my take of the skeleton. The idea is to start with Victini Ex and power up Rayquaza EX at turn 1 to have a possible turn 2 180.

Pokemon
1 victini vcreate
3 victini ex
2-3 rayquaza ex
0-1 zekrom
0-1 Keldeo EX
4 tynamo
3-4 eelektrik

Energy

7-8 lightning
6 fire

Trainers/Supporters

2 skyarrow

1 ACE SPEC (Dowsing Machine or Computer Search)

10-14 Draw Supporters ( you can have skyla or zero skyla depending on your play style, random receivers can be used in lieu of some supporters)

1-2 super rod
4-7 level ball/ultra ball combo
3-4 pokemon catcher
3-4 switch
0-2 escape rope
0-2 max potion
0-1 tool scrapper

Tailor it according to your playstyle.

Back