• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Raticate BREAK 1-turn kills

Marowhacker

@MarowhackerTCG on twitter
So, I'm not very good at deck building, however I thought I'd give it a go! This is a deck I attempted to build around the what I feel is underrated Raticate BREAK.

Pokemon - 18
Rattata EVO x3
Raticate EVO x3
Raticate BREAK EVO x3
Spinarak AO x2
Ariados AO x2
Honedge PC x2
Doublade PC x2
Shaymin-EX x1

Trainers - 30
Bursting Balloon x4
Lysandre x4
Switch x4
N x2
Professor Sycamore x4
Ultra Ball x4
Evosoda x4
Super Rod x4

Energy - 12
Double Colourless x4
Rainbow Energy x4
Metal Energy x2
Grass Energy x2

Idea: Get the active Pokemon down to 10hp using Raticate or Doublade, and let Ariados's poison do the rest.

Personally I would cut the Doublades and run more Ariados. Raticate is an extra stage, but not having the coin flip and not taking damage from Poisonous Nest makes it much better than Doublade. It would also allow you to cut the Metal and Rainbow Energy. If you feel the stage 2 is too slow you could run a couple Tapu Lele GX or Lugia EX (or any basic attacker really, you don't need grass energy in the deck, if you are forced into attacking with Ariados you have probably lost already). I don't understand the point of Bursting Balloon at all. You are instant killing all of your targets, so it won't help you get any kills unless your opponents attackers are all Magicarp. :/ I'd cut the Balloons for float stones or trainers. I'd add VS Seekers and Trainer's Mails in as well, they will help with consistency a ton. 4 Super Rods are way too much, you probably don't need more than 2. Same for cards like Switch and Lysandre. I would also run a stadium so you can disrupt your opponent, personally I like Fairy Garden as it will also help with retreating.

Here is how I would make the deck:
Pokémon: 18
3-3-3 Raticate Break Line (could also run 4-4-4 but it might be overkill)
3-3 Ariados Line
3 Tapu Lele GX

Trainers: 33
4 Ultra Ball
3 Evosoda (could get rid of 1 of these (or 1 Ultra Ball) for 1 of Winona)
3 Trainer's Mail
2 Escape Rope (combos nicely with Fairy Garden to work as a makeshift Lysandre)
2 Professor's Letter
2 Super Rod
2 Special Charge
4 VS Seeker

3 Sycamore (Lele allows you to cut down a bit on the supporters, especially when you are running 4 Seekers as well)
2 N
2 Lysandre
1 Skyla (nice 1 of as it allows Lele to basically get any trainer at the cost of your supporter for the turn)
1 Wally (allows you to get Raticate up a turn faster, also can be reused with VS Seeker)

2 Fairy Garden

Energy: 9
5 Fairy Energy
4 DCE

Personally I would cut the Doublades and run more Ariados. Raticate is an extra stage, but not having the coin flip and not taking damage from Poisonous Nest makes it much better than Doublade. It would also allow you to cut the Metal and Rainbow Energy. If you feel the stage 2 is too slow you could run a couple Tapu Lele GX or Lugia EX (or any basic attacker really, you don't need grass energy in the deck, if you are forced into attacking with Ariados you have probably lost already). I don't understand the point of Bursting Balloon at all. You are instant killing all of your targets, so it won't help you get any kills unless your opponents attackers are all Magicarp. :/ I'd cut the Balloons for float stones or trainers. I'd add VS Seekers and Trainer's Mails in as well, they will help with consistency a ton. 4 Super Rods are way too much, you probably don't need more than 2. Same for cards like Switch and Lysandre. I would also run a stadium so you can disrupt your opponent, personally I like Fairy Garden as it will also help with retreating.

Here is how I would make the deck:
Pokémon: 18
3-3-3 Raticate Break Line (could also run 4-4-4 but it might be overkill)
3-3 Ariados Line
3 Tapu Lele GX

Trainers: 33
4 Ultra Ball
3 Evosoda (could get rid of 1 of these (or 1 Ultra Ball) for 1 of Winona)
3 Trainer's Mail
2 Escape Rope (combos nicely with Fairy Garden to work as a makeshift Lysandre)
2 Professor's Letter
2 Super Rod
2 Special Charge
4 VS Seeker

3 Sycamore (Lele allows you to cut down a bit on the supporters, especially when you are running 4 Seekers as well)
2 N
2 Lysandre
1 Skyla (nice 1 of as it allows Lele to basically get any trainer at the cost of your supporter for the turn)
1 Wally (allows you to get Raticate up a turn faster, also can be reused with VS Seeker)

2 Fairy Garden

Energy: 9
5 Fairy Energy
4 DCE

I rather like the idea of a fairy deck. Bursting balloons were just there simply for coverage, didn't think about float stone and it would be extremely useful. I believe it would be worth considering a Cottonee/Whimsicott - Whimsicott is a very underrated card I feel, as it basically lets you use Damage Change, except you can remove damage from any of your team for a single energy. We do have Tapu Cure with Lele, however I still think Whimsicott is useful as Windy Mischief can be used at any point in the game as long as you can get some float stones going.

Or you could go the opposite route :D

Once fliptini comes back in GUR, that Doublade flip is a whole lot more viable IMO :)

So, here is an alternative that should be faster to get up and running. There are a lot of cards you can play with in this list.

FYI, you need the poison barbs for games when you can't get Ariados up / Ariados can't poison. Aegislash is there in case you can get one up for a late game sweep. Pretty unlikely though and would probably be the first card I would drop in favor of another Tauros or a Shaymin EX.

Pokemon - 18
4 Honedge PCL
4 Doublade PCL
2 Tapu Lele GX GUR
2 Victini GUR
2 Spinarak AOR
2 Ariados AOR
1 Tauros GX SUM
1 Aegislash BKP

Trainers - 35
4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
2 Hex Maniac
1 Wally

4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
3 Level Ball
2 Escape Rope
1 Special Charge
1 Super Rod
1 Field Blower GUR
1 Switch

4 Poison Barb

2 Fairy Garden

Energy - 7
4 Double Colorless
3 Fairy Energy

Or you could go the opposite route :D

IMO Doublade is a better Expanded option because of Steel Shelter (although it makes any steel mirror a nightmare), Hypnotoxic, and Trick Coin (and you don't have to wait 1.5 months for Victini), but it certainly has a massive speed upside. When I've run poison based decks (expanded Doublade and Toxicroak/Dragalge Shenanigans) I've found self-poison to be incredibly harmful. Admittedly the latter deck suffers from this more due to being much slower to kill things, but I still found Doublade to get traded much more often when I couldn't get Steel Shelter or Hypnotoxic. Expanded also opens up the option of King's Shield Aegislash which can be an effective stalling mechanism if you can find room for it.

As for Whismicott. It is a card I absolutely love and I used to run a Whimsicott/Wailord deck that did pretty alright, but I don't see it's place in this deck. Windy Mischief isn't going to be doing much when your main attackers have 110 and 80 HP. Since it is almost certainly going to die right afterwards it wants to be doing enough damage to kill the opponent (it also wants the other Pokémon in the deck to be bulky enough to live or else there will be no damage to move). Unless your opponent is running night march (in which case they are going to 1HKO you anyway) you will just be giving up a prize card for damage that won't matter since Raticate / Doublade 1HKO no matter what. Lele is a bit bulkier and does have an attack that might not 1HKO, but he isn't the one you want to be attacking with, he is more of a last case scenario as well as his ability. If you feel the healing is important then run a PCL.

Last edited:
This is a great semi-budget deck also cubone/marowak is my favorite pokemon so marowhacked you're amazing!

Back