• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Quick Donphan (Masters, Any)

ThirdEye

Magikarp Sushi mmmmm
Players: (18)
3-3 Donphan HG
4 Hitmonlee UD
1 Rhyperior Prime RR
2 Golem Prime RR
1 Machamp Prime RR
Techs:
1-1 Dodrio UD
2 Brozong G PL

Energy: !17)
13 Fighting
4 Double Colorless

T/S/S (25)
Stadium:
4 Stark Mountain
1 Burned Tower
Support:
2 Interviewers Questions
3 PONT
2 Fisherman
4 Black Belt
2 Bebe's Search
3 Pokemon Collector
2 Lucian's Assignment
2 Seeker

Strategy - I wanted a deck that was fairly quick. I'd like to start with Hitmonlee for some quick damage (20-60) while I build Donphan on my bench. Gollem, Rhyperior, and Machamp are used to stall while I concentrate on Donphan. Black Belt is for a 130 OHKO with Donphan or 140 OHKO with Gollem. Stadium cards to manipulate energy and counter BTS. I have NO trainers to counter VileGar and Trainer lock. My techs are simple - dodrio for easier retreat and Bronzong for energy manipulation. Plenty of supporters for energy gather and manipulation. Seeker is to get damaged bronzong off the bench (he takes dmg when pokepower is used)

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

this cannot be quick donphan without trainers. and why do you need to counter bts? speed donphan NEEDS 4 bts to run smoothly.
all of the pokemon you chose expect for the donphan line are plain bad. just take them out.

...I think you need to tear your deck down, pretty much start from scratch, and try again. This deck, otherwise known as "MulliganPhan," runs a straight 4-4 Donphan line and nothing else. Idea is to capitolize on your frequent mulligans, have your opponent score a quick KO, and use Supporters like Twins and BlackBelt to set up faster than your opponent(at least this is what I've been told).

Second, there's no such thing as Golem Prime, and Rhyperior Prime. There is also no Machamp Prime from RR. The RR Machamp is HORRIBLE and I honestly have no idea what it does for this deck. Hitmonlee also serves no purpose. Hitmonlee cant stall for beans if your opponent 1 or 2 shots it and keeps on going. Your starter should help you build up, a la Sableye, not just stall. If you want a staller, go with Spiritomb AR. It locks trainers and helps you evolve. Also, you'll want to max out your BTS line to 3-4 to help speed things along.

In summary:
-4 Hitmonlee UD(not worth it)., + 4 Spiritomb...or something like that.
-1 Rhyperior Prime(you can't use cards that haven't been released yet)
-2 Golem Prime(same as above)
-1 Machamp Prime(and so on so on so on....)
-1-1 Dodrio UD(Donphan isn't really designed to "hit and run.")
-2 Bronzong PL(this card is really reserved for SP decks. Idea is to transfer energy, then Poke-Turn before it gets Flash Bitten to death)
- 4 Stark Mountain, + 4 BTS
- 1 Burned Tower, + 3 Expert Belt(for maximum tankiage)

The rest of your T/S/S line actually looks pretty good. So you can keep it like it is.
The idea of this deck should be to use Spiritomb to set up, have it die, then use Twins/Blackbelt to capitolize on the fact that your losing. Send up Donphan, and swing away. If you're really worried about trainer lock, add in a 1-1 or a 2-2 tech of Dialga G Lv. X. If you want your deck to be speedy, then you NEED to be able to use trainers, there's no 2 ways about it. DGX will help you shut Vileplume's body off and stay quick.

what if I added trainers and put 2 dialga g and 2 dialga g x ?

i'd take all the other stuff out that you suggested too. wut do u think?

Dialga G X wouldn't work with your deck, because Dialga G X's body shuts down the bodies of any pokemon that isn't an SP(Donphan Prime's Exoskeleton). Plus, there would be no synergy with Dialga G.

You're kinda of missing the point of Donphan Prime. It main and pretty much only focus is to et up T1-T2 and smash away at your opponent with Eartquake and Heavy Impact for late game. A standaard Donphan list would look like this

4-4 Donphan Prime
2-2 Manectric PL (protect your bench from Earthquake damage, excluding Manectric)
3 Uxie LA
1 Unown Q

Donphan prime doesn't like too many techs or unecessary pokemon. If you want to add other techs then here's what would be good with Donphan

Entei/Raikou Lengend - This is more of a surprise tech and is only really good against power realiant decks. Aginst SP decks you should be able to pick at least 2 prizes minimum, if the opportunity to take 2 or more prizes hasn't emerged yet then don't use ERL. it's best saved till late game.

Smeargle UD - Merely a set-up aid to help with early game set-up.

Mesprit LA - If your list plays Super Scoop Up (which it should) then a power locking tech such as Mesprit would make a fine addition to the deck. if you can drop it before your opponent can drop an Uxie then it should give you a slight speed advantage.

I was thinking of adding manectric... but shouldnt i have pokemon to stall my donphan setup AND my opponents progression?

while I'm building donphan on my deck who will be my active?

With Manectric though, you equip a bench shield on Manectric that way he protects the bench, and the bench shield protects him.

I've seen people run ERL with Donphan/Machamp, and it actually worked pretty well.

I was thinking of adding manectric... but shouldnt i have pokemon to stall my donphan setup AND my opponents progression?

while I'm building donphan on my deck who will be my active?

Well with 4 BTS you could set up a T1 Donphan Prime (if you go 2nd) but if you're worried about not getting Phanpy's or Electrike damaged then you can play Spiritomb AR as a starter.

I didn't want to use BTS because I wanted to focus on slowing my opponent down. I don't see what is wrong with playing Dialga PL to stall them. Maybe if you explain why thats a bad move I can understand better.

Donphan prime isn't a slow deck, it's meant to be played fast, why do you think it has an attack that does 60 damage for 1 energy? Besides, how many Dialga Pl #6 would you be playing to make good use of its body? (only really effective early game) it isn't exactly a good starter seeing as it does nothing but take hits and "slow" your opponent down as well as having a retreat cost of 2 (only works on evolution decks, BTW) Aerodactyl GL does the whole evolution lock thing much better, even though its not through a body but it' dealing damage and can use the SP engine and be combined with other SP pokemon.

Spiritomb AR is a better pokemon to help stall your opponents set-up and it even helps your set-up and has a managable retreat cost.

that one guy who has the magmortar picture(sorry, his name is on the page before this one, and im too lazy to check!) is right. all you need is a 4-4 donphan, absolutely nothing else. when you use earthquake and the only pokemon you play is donphan, so while you have donphan on your bench and you earthquake, your benched donphan's pokebodies would kick in, so you don't have to worry about damage being don to your pokemon except your active, or if they snipe you. in donphan all you need is donphan, 12 fighting energy, seekers, 4 bts, etc. just play a 4-4 donphan and that is the only thing you need as a pokemon. don't even try to put anything else in. this is the best way you can play it, the speediest way you can play it. there's no question about it. donphan is a big tank, i'd also try the switch seeker heal tech. were you play 4 switches, 4 seekers, and 4 pokehealers. so you can just keep tnaking with your donphan. Nuff said.

You couldn't possibly be reffering to me now could ya? Anyways, like i said, I've heard straight Donphan was actually the most effective way to go...I'm not exactly sure of that. I might possibly be making a Donphan deck, and right now if i had to pair it with a manz it'd be Kingdra Prime. Mainly due to the simple fact that Kingdra has a built-in flash-bite and whatever you can't KO with Earthquake, you can add dmg counters to finish it up. Plus Kingdra attacks for 1 as well.

Back