Quick Competitive Play Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
If you have a quick question about competitive play then please post it here. Questions that are not opinion based or do not provide further discussion should be asked here. If you create a thread that does not warrant further discussion then it will be merged with this thread. When answering a question please be sure to quote it in order to avoid confusion. If you are looking for deck help then you may post your list here. Please do not request deck help in this section of the forums.

Charizard M EX / Yveltal

Okay first off, I don't know for sure if this is the right forum but I have a deck idea that needs improving. So Charizard Mega Y EX can do 300 damage but does 50 to itself, so add protection cube and 300 damage a turn, and if you did 1 fire energy then finished your turn, one fire energy then mega evolved and then protect cube and DCE boom third turn 300 damage. It could be destroyed by Mewtwo/yveltal but thats why you add yveltal and switch's so you can take out yveltals and then do 300 damage a turn!

Gourgiest Deck Idea

Okay so this may again be in the wrong place but its the best I could find. My friend is making Gourgiest/Sableye deck. What it does is hypnotoxic lasers then uses Gourgiests attack to drop the opponent to 10 then knockout from poison. It is a good idea but the Gourgiest will be knocked out easy and how would you get them back? Its probably obvious but I can't think of how. I am also thinking of running 2 Gourgiests and 2 Pumpkaboo in my deck but I don't know. How could this deck be run?

Is there any reason to play Switch over Float Stone?

So this just sort of occurred to me the other day... Why play Switch when you have Float Stone? Worst case scenario is it gets scrapped the next turn, giving you one turn to Retreat for free, just like Switch does. If they can't discard it with Tool Scrapper, then you have an indefinite source of free retreats until it goes away. I can't think of any reason why I should play Switch over Float Stone in my decks, and I was wondering if there's something I'm forgetting before I switch all Switches to Float Stones in my decks.

RE: Is there any reason to play Switch over Float Stone?

Frost Mage said:
So this just sort of occurred to me the other day... Why play Switch when you have Float Stone? Worst case scenario is it gets scrapped the next turn, giving you one turn to Retreat for free, just like Switch does. If they can't discard it with Tool Scrapper, then you have an indefinite source of free retreats until it goes away. I can't think of any reason why I should play Switch over Float Stone in my decks, and I was wondering if there's something I'm forgetting before I switch all Switches to Float Stones in my decks.

As long as float stone provides free switch every turn with keldeo on it, it can not guarantee that a surprise megaphone/tool scrapper/chatot/whatever makes you discard it.

Even more, if you are playing with a pokemon that has a tool on it, you cant retreat it with float unless you discard its tool (Tool scrapper necessary) and then attach the float on it.
Other nice reason now gonna be Goodra: Its doesn't allow you to play tools.

RE: Gourgiest Deck Idea

Zekrom9191 said:
Okay so this may again be in the wrong place but its the best I could find. My friend is making Gourgiest/Sableye deck. What it does is hypnotoxic lasers then uses Gourgiests attack to drop the opponent to 10 then knockout from poison. It is a good idea but the Gourgiest will be knocked out easy and how would you get them back? Its probably obvious but I can't think of how. I am also thinking of running 2 Gourgiests and 2 Pumpkaboo in my deck but I don't know. How could this deck be run?
It works like Raticate does: Attack, then laser and KO. I would use Dusknoir to move counters or something, even virizion to prevent being lasered. But I think gourgheist has a very hard matchup: Go out and explode.

If you need them so hard 'cause you love them, just add sacred ash, in order to return them to the deck (super rod indeed).

Frost Mage said:

When snorlax is the active pokemon.

Frost Mage said:

Or if your paralyzed or asleep you can't retreat. Also there are several pokemon with attacks the prevent retreating during your opponents next turn . Wether switch or float stone is better is prob meta based. If you don't see a lot of control or lock decks float stone is better but if snorlax and the like is popular then switch is better .

RE: Charizard M EX / Yveltal

Zekrom9191 said:
Okay first off, I don't know for sure if this is the right forum but I have a deck idea that needs improving. So Charizard Mega Y EX can do 300 damage but does 50 to itself, so add protection cube and 300 damage a turn, and if you did 1 fire energy then finished your turn, one fire energy then mega evolved and then protect cube and DCE boom third turn 300 damage. It could be destroyed by Mewtwo/yveltal but thats why you add yveltal and switch's so you can take out yveltals and then do 300 damage a turn!

First of all we have to see if in a next future TCG release a evo stone or something. These days, lose a turn in the very first turns means something like lose unless you play max potions and blacksmith to recover energies.

Frost Mage said:

Also, float stone takes up the tool slot on a Pokemon. Meaning that if you have an yveltal EX active and you put a float stone on it to retreat, you can't put a muscle band on it until you scrapper it away with your own tool scrapper (god only hopes people will recognize that you shouldn't discard their float stone on attacking pokemon)

With that statement I have shown you two of the weaknesses of surprise megaphone:
1. If your opponent misplays in playing tools down, you have no option, they must all be discarded
2: if you are forced to play down a tool somewhere you don't want too (or misplay, because we all do it occasionally), you cannot get rid of it with surprise megaphone.

All in all, float stone and switch depend on the deck you are running and how much hypnotoxic lasering you expect to see.
Also, remember you can use escape rope too instead.

Deochu

Lately I've been working on deck called Deochu the idea of the deck is to get 4 Deoxys and a Raichu with plasma badge down to do 140 damage.

Discuss!

RE: Deochu

I1lucky said:
Lately I've been working on deck called Deochu the idea of the deck is to get 4 Deoxys and a Raichu with plasma badge down to do 140 damage.

Discuss!

What exactly is there to discuss. You told us a strategy, great. It doesn't seem to work well honestly and 140 really doesn't do anything better compared to 100. So yeah.

RE: Deochu

I1lucky said:

Discuss!

Yeah, I'll have to agree with Alex. You're better off playing Aerodactyl and Muscle Band and yet you can't OHKO an EX(without LaserBank). :/

Fire Engine

Trying to optimize the best Fire-based TSST engine:

4 Flame Torch
4 Blacksmith
2 Professor's Letter
2 Energy Retrieval

12 Fire Energy

Please help and contribute!

RE: Fire Engine

blaZofgold said:
Trying to optimize the best Fire-based TSST engine:

4 Flame Torch
4 Blacksmith
2 Professor's Letter
2 Energy Retrieval

12 Fire Energy

Please help and contribute!

It really depends on the kind of deck you're building. For general fire support, I've been thinking about playing tons of Fire Torches as well. Have you considered Pyroar?

[split] Wild Blaze Set Discussion

Whats this Garchomp/Altaria deck I keep hearing about anywho?

RE: [split] Wild Blaze Set Discussion

Zid said:
Whats this Garchomp/Altaria deck I keep hearing about anywho?

Back when Garchomp and Altara came out (both in Dragons Exalted), the deck was hyped up to be one of the best decks in the format. It failed to live up to them, but it was okay in that format. Today, it still exists as a rogue deck, and pops up in tournaments from time to time.

The strategy is to use Garchomp's Mach Cut and Dragonblade to deal damage, while having several Altaria on the bench to add damage to Garchomp's attacks. Gabite also has a great ability that helps you set up, which can get more Gabite, which can let you set up even more Pokemon. The deck plays Silver Bangle to allow Garchomp to deal 170 damage with Dragonblade with 2 Altaria on the bench, which knocks out most EX Pokemon. Besides those cards, it sometimes plays Mr. Mime, Sigilyph, Landorus EX, Terrakion, or Dusknoir, but the deck works fine without any of them.

[split] The "Best" Build

Does Empoleon still have a chance or is it still a lost cause without Dusknoir? I've talked with TuxedoBlack about it and he says that it still has a chance even though it went from being Tier 2 to Rogue right now. I've been trying to find other good partners for Empoleon that are Stage 1 or Basic and so far I've come across Dugtrio, Raichu, and Lucario EX. 2 Stage 2 lines are really clunky in this format unless you run 4 Skyla and 1-2 Tropical Beach or run Delphox in RayBoar. There was a time when running 2 or more Stage 2 lines in a deck didn't make your deck run clunky but now it does.

I get tired of players saying that Empoleon's no longer relevant in the format right now, "It's just a Rogue deck so why are you discussing it alongside other decks in the current meta?" Is what I get from their criticisms. If the Mod's here don't like me defending a deck that I've enjoyed playing since RayEels then that's their problem not mine, I don't want to stay too off-topic so I'll just leave it at that. I had high hopes for Miltank / Butterfree since it's another deck alongside RayBoar that can go Beachless but when players like Pooka said that it's not good enough to do well competitively due to having low damage output it left me discouraged.

Xerneas EX / Xerneas / Aromatisse

I've been wondering why there are no metadecks playing Xerneas EX? To me, paired with Xerneas "Geomancy" and Aromatisse's "Fairy Transfer" they can accelerate energy attachment to Xerneas EX. Along with Fairy Garden for free retreat? Xerneas EX seems to be a very powerful attacker with "X Blast" doing 140 damage for 4 energy & "Break Through" doing 60 and 30 to the bench! Once set-up wouldn't Xerneas dominate?

Why does no one play Xerneas EX?

Help on Deck Choice for Nationals (USA)

Hello fellow Beachers!

Okay, sorry about that trash nickname. I am really having trouble deciding which deck to play for my Nationals (USA). Right now I have VirGen and Yveltal/Garb. I can build Speed Lugia and probably most forms of Plasma (even though I don't like Plasma as much). While I love Yveltal and I piloted it to a 2nd place regional finish, I also love how consistent VirGen is. Plasma is really a last-resort thing but if you can convince me, who knows? I know Yveltal better but VirGen isn't hard to play. I also realize that Virgen has a definite auto-loss (*cough, cough RayBoar*). Yveltal is only really bad against decks that out speed it, or lightning types. Advice is appreciated, and I am not willing to play Pyroar. I personally think it is bad. But any other suggested decks I will take into opinion. Thanks for anything and everything!

-Socery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back