BW/BW2 Questions about competitive Vdieo Game Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azurial

Aspiring Trainer
I have just started EV training and I have a few questions. Sorry if this is in the wrong place in advanced.

1) Now i have been using my AR just to check the EV/IVs of my pokemon, is this a method that will disqualify me at regional?

2) Is there a specific team that is generally accepted as good? If not, what are the most commonly used types?

3) I am under the belief that legendary pokemon are not allowed for competitive play. Does this exclude the Musketters? Is there a ban list for the Pokémon video game?

4) Is it better to train all of a Pokémon's EVs up to 252-255, or should I just focus on specific traits for a certain Pokémon? For example, if I train an Emboar, should i focus on its speed, or should I just spread training all of the stats?

1. Not sure, but I don't think so. I've had an AR influence my game at 2 VGC's, and it was cleared, but it wasn't EV checking, so check with someone else

2. Uh...This year it was Tailwind, Good Stuff, Trick Room, and Wonder Room. A lot of the time, Good Stuff really does well (Good Stuff consists of just fast hard hitting pokemon)

3. The Ban list changes every year. This year, every Pokemon in the Unova pokedex besides Reshiram, Victini, and Zekrom were allowed

4. I've always had it to 252 on whatever stats were neccesary. Spreading doesn't work very well most of the time.

If I can add on to Darkvoid's input, for questions 2-4, your answer is gonna depend on what competitive metagame or casual environment you're playing in (Ubers/OU/UU/etc., VGC, or in-game), and specifically for 2 and 4 it comes down to the individual Pokémon and synergy itself. To be honest, I don't think in any minority to say that you learn more so than anything by experience, so be active in familiarizing yourself with the team-building process and general mechanical/strategic concepts, and then apply that knowledge by testing as many Pokémon (including cores) and playstyles as you can for real in a game or simulator. In fact – and not to disrespect the posed questions of course – but I'll lock the thread for the time being, because there are a number of threads we have already where you can get the full rundown on all that (as well as good answers to individual questions), if you want to explore battling in those ways (of course the 5th Gen and Competitive Play forums are chock-full of resources in their entirety). Check these out:
*Locked*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back