Post Your Top 5 Anime!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Hey everyone, to introduce some discussion about different series and explore each other's interests (and maybe even get some ideas for shows you might like to see!) I thought I would make up a thread to talk about everyone's top five shows. Feel free to make up a list of your own, or comment on other people's choices.

If you do choose to make your own list, please at least write a short paragraph summarizing the show and why you like it. Posts with just a list of shows without explanation will be removed. You don't have to list exactly 5 shows, but please don't write more than 5; quality over quantity!

Since I'm starting the thread, I figured I would start out with a list of my own!

5) FLCL: FLCL/Furi Kuri is a 6 episode OAV by Gainax. At its heart, it's a coming-of-age story for young Naota who is trying to come to grips with the adult world, but this message is buried within a thousand layers of randomness, pop culture references, aliens, robots, bizarre symbolism, even more bizarre comedy, and a weird chick on a scooter who keeps hit poor Naoto in the head with a bass guitar. The animation and art are gorgeous and the music is spectacular. However, it's a prime example of style-over-substance; plot is hinted at more than explored and the story is all over the place.

4) Paradise Kiss: I'm not exactly what you'd think of as a "girly" girl, so it may seem odd that one of my favourite shows is about fashion and modeling, two concepts I don't really care about in the slightest. However, despite the glamour of the subject matter (the main character is a budding model and the other characters are all models or fashion designers), Paradise Kiss is a wonderful romantic drama with great characters that form the lifeblood of the story. The plot itself moves rather slowly, something that may seem surprising for such a short show (it's only 12 episodes long), but its done in a well-paced manner and uses the time to explore characters and reveal things at just the right moment. Art and music are also top notch.

3) Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd Gig: I rate these both together since even though they're technically different shows, 2nd Gig is very much a sequel and they flow well together. The storylines of both seasons are very fun in a sort of suspence, cyberpunk, sci-fi, thriller way, and the art and animation are incredible, especially in the action sequences. Unfortunately, characterization is kind of bland, especially in the first show; 2nd Gig explores the characters more fully which is nice.

2) Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Gurren Lagann is just such a badass, awesome, fun show. Wonderful characters with some real growth, a bizarre and fun plotline and very well-done out with a gorgeous, unique style. A lot of the characters are very archetypal, but they storytelling handles them in such a way to make them all more than just stereotypes. It's a wonderful modern return to old space epics/operas with a modern polish and improvement on pacing and direction.

1) Rose of Versailles: RoV is a beautiful series and really the beginning of the Shoujo genre of manga/anime in Japan. It is a historical fiction retelling of the French Revolution from the point of view of a Lady Oscar, a tomboy-turned-Captain who becomes a good friend and bodyguard of Marie Antoinette. Despite starring a fictional character, the anime is relatively true to history and raises a lot of social issues, especially about women and the place they have in the world. The show does a great job of bringing you into the world and getting you emotionally attached to the characters, but, well, if you know anything about the French Revolution, you know better than to expect a happy ending.

RE: Top 5 Anime

My anime list isn't that long and I haven't remembered much of what I watched when I was younger. Note that I also did not bother to watch recently hyped anime such as SnK, Free! or SAO

5) Law of Ueki Probably one of the older anime I have on this list, LoU is just action packed and full of story as well. All characters have the power to turn X into Y (towels into steel for example) and Ueki's character is something rare in this world. It is the character who is extremely selfless and will do anything for others while risking himself. Overall, the entire cast gets some small background story and are interesting enough to keep you watching. Biggest plus here really is seeing all the different powers that the show has thought up.

4) Love Live! This is more of a franchise than just an anime. It started out as a bunch of music videos until they decided to make an anime out of it and give the nine main characters some attitudes and some story. The premise of the show is that a school is about to close down due to lack of people who want to enroll in it and their way to save it is to become school idols and try to attract more people to enroll in it. The story is good although a bit rushed due to it being a 13 episode anime. What sets this show apart is the music and the videos where there is some good animated choreography. The last thing to watch out for is the cuteness overload the show gives. (IDOLM@STER and K-On! fall under this genre if you want to compare it to something similar)

3) Ranma 1/2 This is an old classic which got me hooked in the old days. A boy that turns into a girl when splashed with cold water and he/she gets suitors for both genders. This anime has comedy all over the place and sets up so much sensible slapstick that you can laugh at. Other characters include a tomboyish girl who is being forced to marry the protagonist, a brother and sister duet who falls in love with the protagonists two different forms and most notably a miniature pervert who runs around stealing women's "stuff"

2) Persona 4 the Animation Persona 4 was such a gaming classic for the time that it came out and it got so popular it was adapted into an anime. The anime itself isn't as nearly as good as the games because you can only fit so much RPG awesomeness in a measly 26 episodes but they were able to retain the important scenes and make it look really good. This franchise has all the genres mixed together, some scenes will make you laugh, cry and just angry at times. It is recommended you watch the anime and play the games as well.

1) Puella Magi Madoka Magica Arguably the deepest 12 episode anime I have watched in my life, this anime is the deconstruction of the typical magical girl anime genre where it throws all conventional stereotypes out of the window and instead presents a more realistic take on magical girls and twist it arond to make a very watchable experience. This show might be already two years old but it's still popular as there is an upcoming movie for it to pick up where the series left off. A must-watch for any anime fan.

RE: Top 5 Anime

I like anime but it isn't some sort of hobbie.
My top five are:

Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin - this one is my number 1 because I have fond memories of watching it as a child, and it has a mixture of very funny moments with some seriousness. Set in the Meiji era, its main character, Kenshin Himura is a former government samurai assassin who now wants to live somewhat peacefully and is a wanderer. He quits his ideia after settling early on the show in a dojo owned by a girl who he has saved from someone (some bully). Together they find new friends while dealing with Kenshin's past and some new enenmies. The only thing unrealistic is that the samurai tecniques are more than simple strikes with the sword and have some special effects.

Trinity Blood - Reason number one for me to like this: it has vampires. Reason number two: it has a well woven plot filled with mystery, suspense and politics. Set some goooood years after Armagedon, a worldwide nuclear holocaust that meant not only the loss of lives but also of technology which became scarse, it depicts the struggle between humans and Methuselah, humans that were victims of a virus and have acquired a taste for blood which now have the mythological nickname of vampires. The main character, Father Abel Nightroad is a priest working for a secret department inside the Vatican (which is a powerful human state) called the AX, that secretly deals with problems caused by vampires. In reality, Father Abel is one of an originally group of four people sent to Mars in a project of collonization and were genetically modified, and so they tend feed on the blood of vampires and are called Krushnik (only a handful of people now of their existence). On the vampire side, there's the Empire, a state ruled by vampires. Keeping tabs on these two sates are the Rosenkrantz Order, a group secretly led by a Krushnik (Cain) that seeks to cause strife between humans and vampires.

Samurai 7 - an anime version of Akira Kurosawa's famous movie The Seven Samurai. The show is about a village that fed up of always having Bandits (samurai turned into huge mechas) stealing their precious rice, decide to send a group of 3 villagers to the city to find and hire 3 samurai to battle the bandits. Kambei, that would become the samurai's leader, decides that instead of 3 they need other 6 besides him. The journey is a very hard one and along the way they'll find a powerful person that would cause more trouble than originally thought.

Black Lagoon - an anime full of guns and firearms. Black Lagoon is the name of a somewhat mercenary company of 3 that does bussiness, mostly errand work, in a fictional and "heavenly" city/town in Southeast Asia. In reality, the city is the battleground for branches of mafias from around the world, the most famous and vicious ones being the chinese and the russian, this last being led by a former soviet female soldier. Right in the very first episode, a japanese middle-class worker ends up being kidnapped by Black Lagoon because of some sh*t that went wrong with the formers company that had some dirt under the carpet. After being fed up with its miserable and dull life, the japanese guy decides that it wants to saty and work with Black Lagoon, which he does.

Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt - What can I say about this one? It has slang, (censored) sex and the biblical conflict between agels and demons. This show came to being after the creators decided that they wanted to make something unconventional, without restrictions and with the looks of americans cartoons. And so we have it, two female sister angels, Panty and Stocking, the former with a desire for sex and a goal of going to bed with 1.000 guys before returning to heaven and the last with a passion for sweets. Their weapons to fight evil are two panties and two kneesocks that turn into two guns and two samurai swords. Their father-figure is a black priest named Garterbelt who sports an afro and has BDSM and pedophile urges. On the other side, there's Kneesocks and Scanty, two female demons, leaded by Corset, the Mayor of the city (I can't recall its name) nd secretly a demon itself.

EDIT: My no. 2 is now "Hellsing Ultimate OVA": what's best than seeing Dracula turned into a hired killer while having a crazy, sick, bloddy and disturbed personality? I just love seing his relation with Sir Integra Hellsing (a woman in her twenties/thirties). There's also an actual tv show that ran for 20 episodes but it' doesn't follow the manga so accurately as the OVA.
The Hellsing Organisation comes from the Hellsing guy of Bram Stoker's "Dracula" and the one that defeated the Count (he didn't destroyed it) and so Dracula became a "hostage" and servant of the family with a power lock system with only the Hellsing members can release to it's ultimate level (zero). Nowadays, they serve the English Protestant Church and Crown from monsters and other evil creatures. Dracula was waked up by Sir Integra in a moment of despair and her father named Dracula as Alucard ("Dracula" in reverse). As rivals and enemies to the English, there's the Vatican, namely the Iscariot organisation, the military hand of the Pope.

Hmmm, I feel the need to post mine.

1st - Date A Live A story about a boy who develops friendships with people called Spirits, who, whenever they enter this world, cause something called a Spacequake that destroys the immediate surroundings. It is his job to stop it.

2nd - Sakuraso No Pet Na Kanojo The story about a boy who lives in a normal dorm until he decides to adopt a cat and they send him to the "special" dorms. The dorms for kids who extremely talented, but don't necessarily fit in with society. His life here seems normal enough until the day a new girl moves in. A famous artist, one hailed as the best of the century, but she can't even get ready for school without help.

3rd - Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru A wacky adventure of a teen who has been cursed with absolute choice. Now God is sending him on strange missions to rid himself of it, through text.

4th - Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure! All is normal in the world until an ancient artifact is uncovered at a construction site. This is where the universe splits in two. In one, a boy is born and goes to school, but he can see the other universe at times. In the other, the boy is not born and a war is taking place for the artifact. Somehow, the boy gets transferred and has to end the war.

5th - Seitokai Yakuindomo All seems normal at this just turned co-ed school. But one thing, most of the student council are perverted girls, except the one short one. THey somehow rope the protagonist into joining and have some weird adventures after that.

No, but It seems like it doesn't it....

I also watch a whole bunch of other stuff, like Naruto, Bleach, SAO, Gundam, DBZ, One Piece, Fairy Tail, then there a whole bunch my uncle has that I can't remember that is about police officers, Robotech.

Edit: forgot Soul Eater and some Attack on Titan.

So then harem romcoms and battle shounen? All of those except Gundam and Robotech are fighting shows targeted at young males.

Alright, seems like that is what I like.

BTW, it seems like you are using a condescending tone, if so, alright, if not alright.

I wasn't being condescending. I was curious if that was all you watched because generally the only people whose favorite shows are all something like harems, moe, mecha, shoujo, or shounen generally only watch that kind of show. I'm not judging you or looking down on your tastes or anything like that I do think your favorites list would probably change if you tried getting some variety and not watching the same two kinds of shows, though.

Hmmm, I see what you mean. Perhaps I should expand my horizons and look into other things. Perhaps you could PM me some good anime that are not in those categories and I could get started once I get good enough internet at my mom's.

I'm too lazy to write whole paragraphes...

5. Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna: I love the overall feeling of the show and the psychedelicy at some parts. Dem owls.
4. Suisei no Gargantia: beautiful, great atmosphere, nice pacing and story evolution
3. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: epic it the real meaning of the word
2. K-ON!! & Non Non Biyori: provide you friends when you need them and are just overall really cute and fluffy
1. Psycho-Pass: awesome story and execution in telling it

1: Tenchi Universe + 3 movies Why? Its like Star Wars and has more Eps than my #2 :)

2. Tenchi Muyo + Tenchi Muyo GXP (both are in same universe) Why? its the first non Pokemon Anime i watched and it was just Awesome in 2000 and still is IMHO

3. Pokemon Origins Why? This what Pokemon should have been in 1996 Anime wise need i say more?

4. Inuyasha Why? I guess cus of the Adventure part of it and the relationship between Inuyasha and Kagome

5 Tie between Cowboy Bebop and Trigun Why? I like good sci-fi animes and Trigun though Western on the outside its Sci-fi on the inside when you relize there not on Earth circa 1870's ;)

Honorable mention: FLCL: Why? I like Action Sci-fi but only 6 eps ruins it for me as im wanting more after seeing all 6 eps

Drools anime omg

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann-
Lordy this mecha anime was full of action and alot of emotions!
I definitley think this was one of my favourites. Ttgl brought me to tears numerous amounts of times and I loved the adventures Simon and friends went through, even if they were good or bad!

Date A live- I recently watched this anime and its really a good one! Whenever a spacequake happens, spirits come to earth and a teenage boy named shido is on a job to seal their powers. Super cute and funny :p

Kill La Kill- Probably one of the most interesting fall animes ive been caught up to so far! If im not mistaken it is by the creators of Gurren lagann and I absolutely love it! Its most definitely filled with a lot of comedy and a great story behind it!
Ryuko is pretty much the icing on the cake for me! Shes always sohonest (even if its brutal x3)

ill probably edit with two more a bit later 8)

gamefreak33797 said:
Hmmm, I see what you mean. Perhaps I should expand my horizons and look into other things. Perhaps you could PM me some good anime that are not in those categories and I could get started once I get good enough internet at my mom's.

We actually have an Anime Recommendations Thread just for this sort of thing! That way you can get suggestions from a bunch of different people. :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with liking specific genres of things over others. I guess all of my anime seem kind of eclectic when you pair them up against each other, but in reality, I most just love (mahou) shoujo, and adult-oriented sci-fi anime more than anything else. Similarly, my favourite books are probably all across the board, but overall I mostly just read a bunch of fantasy and most of it kind of trashy. :p

---

Also, good to see some Tenchi on here! :) While it didn't make my Top 5, the various Tenchi series/OAVs aren't all that far down. Probably one of the best and most amusing examples of the "harem" genre since it knows it's ridiculous and doesn't even bother to hide it, but at the same time also has a surprising amount of emotion and universe build up.

Back