Post Rotation With Dragons Deck Discussion

Blah

DBT
*Approved by Celebi*

For starters, go here for all scans.

In this thread, we will be discussing possible decks for post rotation, meaning BW on, and you may use cards from the Dragon sets in your deck. Feel free to post decklists or just have general discussion, but remember this is for deck strategies only, not for general discussion of the rotation.

To start off, I actually played a game using proxies recently. It's a very different feel for playing, as everything is much slower and conserving resources is how you win. The only real trainers that decks use are Pokemon Catcher and Rare Candy, along with some deck specific ones like Dark Patch. The main supporters are N, Juniper, and Bianca, although you gotta be careful when you Juniper to avoid losing valuable resources, as it is very difficult to get things back from the discard.

Also feel free to make decks with proxies on PTCG and then post your results here. Trust me, you'll enjoy it. Next format is sure to be really fun.

I can't wait for the rotation. Going from the Japanese Spring Carnival results, there seems to be a ton of variety, which also makes for cheaper cards as well as a better format. Also going from the Spring Carnival, it seems like Garchomp/Altaria and Darkrai/Hedreigon are tier 1.

Gothitelle/Victini all the way lol. Flip 2 coins, if both are heads the defending pokemon is knocked out. If not try again.

Registeel EX/Klinklang could be good but it would be hard to set up. If you do it though, you pretty much win. Darkrai/Hydra is easier to set up though.

I'm a fan of Garchomp/Altaria, but you have to set up first. The deck is played because it's capable of doing it.

Empoleon/Mew/Terrakion looks very interesting and seems like a nice play but the difficulty is the fragility of Mew. It's a quick attacker though.

I love the new Drifblim in late. It does 200- 2-blanking-00- late game against almost anything. You'd want to run lots of Enhanced Hammer too.

Garbodor with some Rescue Scarfs wrecks a lot of things, especially Zekeels. Probably will only be teched though.
It could be used in the Mewtwo spam deck because that uses no abilities.

And of course there's Darkrai/Hydreigon. Dominating, fast- only Terrakion can mess this thing up.

I agree that Driftblim will be an interesting rogue option. Most decks are packing DCE or Prism energy at the moment because of the strong basics, and when the Dragon set comes out there'll be even more special energies running around with the two Blend energies. May only fit in as a tech though, as if your opponent doesn't run special energies, you're basically screwed. I can't think of any major decks that fit this criteria though?

A fun deck I found that seems to work extremely well in a BW-on format is Zekrom EX/Vanilluxe NXD/Eelektrik. Once it gets set up, you are easily hitting 150 every turn due to your Dynamotors and Vanilluxe's Slippery Soles. Vanilluxe also renders Catcher completely useless for stalling.

It should be interesting to have our first EX counter cards come out in Bouffalant and Sigilyph. These 2 Pokemon have tremendous potential to shut down decks heavily focused around EXes, such as Darkrai decks, and Bouffalant has the great ability to one shot Mew, while also having a great Ability in Afro Guard as we have seen on Donphan Prime.

D.N.A said:
I agree that Driftblim will be an interesting rogue option. Most decks are packing DCE or Prism energy at the moment because of the strong basics, and when the Dragon set comes out there'll be even more special energies running around with the two Blend energies. May only fit in as a tech though, as if your opponent doesn't run special energies, you're basically screwed. I can't think of any major decks that fit this criteria though?

The major problem with that is if your opponent sees Drifblim, they're going to not play any special energies because they basically win if they don't play any.

Anyway, I played using the Japan Nationals Hydreigon list and it was insane. The main problem with it is that Garchomp with one Altaria OHKO's Hyderigon. It's easier then it sounds to get the Garchomps out, because of Gabite's Dragon Call and because of a simply slower format.

I invite you all to make proxy decks on PTCG so we can play rounds against each other, it's crazy fun.

I think:
Tier 1 (no specific order)
Garchomp/Altaria
Zekeels
Hydreigon/Darkrai
Darkrai Variants
Mewtwo/Terrakion

Tier 2
Terrakion variants
Rayquaza Eels
Empoleon Variants

My opinons on the preformance on each deck. Non-EX dragons destoys Rayquaza eels. Terrakion won't be as great b/c Dragons OHKO it. Empoleon will rise higher with proper techs seeing that it takes 1 energy and has built in draw.

Terrakion/Mewtwo Actually could easily ruin Zekeels, and Darkrai Variaints. I've tested it, and its crazy fast, I mean by T3 I was sweeping with my Mewtwo. Terrakion EX can't be OHKO'd by many guys (Unless they play 4 pluspowers at once)

Anyone else seeing a Garbodor/Zebstrika combo working? It locks all forms of acceleration except attacks. Also Accelgor/Gothitelle with maybe venusaur, darkrai EX, or Gardevoir.

Tier 1:
Darkrai variants
Hydreigon/Darkrai
Garchomp/Altaria
Zekeels

Tier 2:
Rayeels
Terrakion
Terrakion (EX)/Mewtwo

Tier 3:
Empoleon decks.

I think a lot of people are disregarding Terrakion/Mewtwo. It is doing very good in Japan, there is no reason for it to be tier 2 here.

I played a match against Terrakion EX/Mewtwo with my Hydreigon deck.

Lets just say Sigilyph is a monster that should not be underestimated. It's fantastic against Mewtwo and stops Terrakion EX dead in its tracks. I'd say it's about a 60/40 matchup in Hydreigon's favor (if your running sigilyph, that is). Hydreigon can counter easily with sigilyph for a lot of the match, and then can start OHKOing normal Terrakions with Dragon Blast. However, if Hydreigon doesn't get set up fast enough, Terrakion can nab a ton of prizes off of Darkrai.

Puff said:
Anyone else seeing a Garbodor/Zebstrika combo working? It locks all forms of acceleration except attacks. Also Accelgor/Gothitelle with maybe venusaur, darkrai EX, or Gardevoir.

You see, the idea is genius and thought of but its all just on paper. Zebstrika cannot hold its own for a whole game. Garchomp OHKOs Zebstrika, and without consistency, which it clearly lacks, Zebstrika cannot KO. It can't take all 4 prizes and has too low damage output. It is also hard to get out consistent Garbodors. Raikou can run through it and if you paralyze Zebstrika, bye bye lock.

Some decks I've been think about in BW on are:

Golurk/Sigilyph. Golurk ({P}{C}{C} 60 Remove the top evolution from the defending Pokemon, and return in to there hand) takes out Stage 1s and Stage 2's that evolved through rare candy in one hit, and you use Sigilyph to take out the EX's. You just need something for Terrakion and Zekrom. Shaymin EX could work for Terrakion. It's in the same Blend Energy as Psychic. But if allot of decks start teching in Garbodor, then this deck will kinda suck.

These next 2 will probably just be fun league decks, but I really like them. Registeel/Groudon. You use Registeel EXs Triple laser ({C}{C}{C} does 30 damage to 3 of your opponents Pokemon) to set up Groudon EXs Giant Claw. Maybe Mew EX as well. Since both have 4 retreat, I'd be hard to switch them out without getting KOed

Gigalith/Landorus. You use Landorus to set up Gigalith's attack ({F}{C}{C} 10+ 10 more for each damage counter on your benched Pokemon). Set up a full bench T2 use Gaia Hammer 2 or 3 time's and that's like 100-150 damage with Gigalith. Maybe add in Reuniclus too. But 2 stage 2's and a hard to set up basic might be a little to much. And again. Mew EX would also be decent. Just so you don't have to set them up individually.

As for Tiers. I think they'll look something like this (in order):
Tier 1:
Darkrai/Hydriegon
Darkrai Variants
Zekrom/Eelektrik
Eelquaza (I like Eelquaza way better then Rayeels)
Terrakion Variants

Tier 2:
Garchomp/Altaria
Gothetelle/Victini
Empoleon
Zoroark Variants
Golurk/Sigilyph

Tier 3:
Registeel/Groudon
Gigalith/Landorus
Accelgor/Gothetelle

A side not. Why Garchomp? Why not just add Altaria to Eelquaza? Garchomp doesn't do that much damage, there isn't much of a magic number (the second attack + 2 Altaria is kinda a magic number), and the side effect (of the first attack) doesn't seem THAT good.

Another side note. The deck I'd like to play after rotation would probably be Eelquaza (hopefully Rayquaza won't be o expensive), then Golurk/Sigilyph, then Terrakion/Groudon (which is what I'm playing right now)

P.S. How do you proxy on PTCG? Just say like "Hydreigon NV = Hydreigon BW6" or something along those lines? If someone could inform me how, then I'd really love to try that.

P.P.S. Sorry for the long post.

People are overhyping Rayeels, it's good, but a Rayquaza EX is OHKOd by a Hydreigon or Garchomp, and the very rare Rayquaza. It has speed and power, but has that dreaded {DRG} weakness, not much love though. Now you may think "why is Zekeels sstill Tier 1 in Japan?" that's because Zekeels doesn't hav that weakness, it can swarm alot more easily than Rayquaza and doesn't require Prisim/Fire to operate.

Machamp the Champion said:
A side not. Why Garchomp? Why not just add Altaria to Eelquaza? Garchomp doesn't do that much damage, there isn't much of a magic number (the second attack + 2 Altaria is kinda a magic number), and the side effect (of the first attack) doesn't seem THAT good.
Garchomp is able to hit for a lot of damage with very little energy using Altaria's ability. Additionally, the deck has a built in search engine in Gabite, which allows you to search for 1 Dragon Pokemon every turn. The effect of the first attack can be extremely useful in a format full of DCE, Prism Energy, and the new Blend Energies.

Adding Altaria to Eelquaza would make the deck incredibly inconsistent, as you would have to set up even more bench sitters and it wouldn't really prove to be that great of an effect. Sure, it can let Rayquaza hit for 180 damage with 2 lightning energy, but do you really want to set up 2 Eelektrik and 2 Altaria? That leaves you one bench space for another attacker.

SeaLegend pretty much hit the nail on the head. Garchomp does a lot of damage for just one or two energy.

Machamp the Champion said:
P.S. How do you proxy on PTCG? Just say like "Hydreigon NV = Hydreigon BW6" or something along those lines? If someone could inform me how, then I'd really love to try that.

Yes, that's exactly how. Just make sure to tell the person ahead of time what you're proxies are. I'd be glad to play a match against you sometime :).

It seems like Accelgor decks aren't getting enough love here. This deck might take some setting up, but once it does it is pretty much unstoppable. The core Pokemon of this deck are Accelgor, Gothitelle, Mew EX, Darkrai EX, and Musharna. The aim is to paralyze your opponent's active Pokemon every turn using either Accelgor or Mew EX, switching out to Gothitelle so your opponent has to deal with a trainer lock as well. Darkrai EX then gives Gothitelle free retreat, and Musharna gives this deck some drawpower while not having to worry about Pokemon Catcher thanks to Gothitelle.

This deck seems like it could easily be Tier 2 in a BW-on format. The biggest wildcard is whether or not we receive Palace Belt. This Pokemon Tool, when attached to your active Pokemon, allows you to draw 2 cards instead of 1 at the start of every turn. You can put this card on Gothitelle, and combined with Musharna you essentially get 2 free draws every turn.

SeaLegend said:
It seems like Accelgor decks aren't getting enough love here. This deck might take some setting up, but once it does it is pretty much unstoppable. The core Pokemon of this deck are Accelgor, Gothitelle, Mew EX, Darkrai EX, and Musharna. The aim is to paralyze your opponent's active Pokemon every turn using either Accelgor or Mew EX, switching out to Gothitelle so your opponent has to deal with a trainer lock as well. Darkrai EX then gives Gothitelle free retreat, and Musharna gives this deck some drawpower while not having to worry about Pokemon Catcher thanks to Gothitelle.

This deck seems like it could easily be Tier 2 in a BW-on format. The biggest wildcard is whether or not we receive Palace Belt. This Pokemon Tool, when attached to your active Pokemon, allows you to draw 2 cards instead of 1 at the start of every turn. You can put this card on Gothitelle, and combined with Musharna you essentially get 2 free draws every turn.

The main problem is getting the Accelgors out consistently. Not only does this deck have very little room for trainers, but every deck in the format has problems with enough trainers because of the lack of Junk Arm. Once you miss an Accelgor, the entire plan can fall apart in one turn.

Back