Possible Changes to Cards in Gen 7?

Tepig4321

The Very Best Like No One Ever Was
Ok , so I'm curious to know what you guys think about changes for the Pokemon trading card game in Gen 7. Here is a little template. I want you guys viewing this thread to fill out and reply:

1. Will the looksof the cards change?: <answer>

2. Will Pokemon EX and/or Pokemon BREAK be switched by another "thing"?: <answer>

3. Will the first set or 2 only be the Pokemon exclusive to that region?: <answer>

4.Will full art cards still exist?: <answer>

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer your questions:

1. Will the look of the cards change?:
Yes they tend to do a new holo and reverse patterns

2. Will Pokemon EX and/or Pokemon BREAK be switched by another "thing"?:
At this point i would say they drop break and keep Ex and do a different another thing

3. Will the first set or 2 only be the Pokemon exclusive to that region?:

Mostly

4.Will full art cards still exist?:

Yes

To answer your questions:

1. Will the look of the cards change?:
No, I feel they are pretty set, and have been since BW began. Maybe new holo patterns. (However, I would be okay with a change to HGSS-style frames, because that small series of sets had my favorite borders.)

One can only hope. EXs need to go. Ithinkthat they will use the BREAK mechanic to implement Mega Evolutions, and eliminate EXs. Unless Mega's are a regional thing. Depends on the games.

Yes.

Yes.

- I've edited the original template to make it clear and neat. Please follow the examples above. -

1. Will the looksof the cards change?:
They didn't change the template between BW and XY as far as I could see, so I'm afraid that won't change, because they might see it as "perfect" ( I don't like it very much at all =/). The holo pattern will probably change, and I'm hoping they going back to the old galaxy style.

I'm very certain BREAK will go away, I think its just a gimmick that will be around a couple of sets just like the ancient traits or plasma cards. I'm not as certain with EXes thought, but I'm leaning towards they will switch to something else as they already had EXes for two generations.

I think the main focus will be gen 7 pokémon, but just like XY I think it will have old pokémon (probably those that inhabits the new region though) because I think from gen 6 and forward we won't see so many new pokémon introduced each gen.

Yeah, even if EX go away I definitely think they will make full art cards. Surely its possible they will change the design a little, or trying out new things like these new full arts with golden borders and/or multiple pokémon in them, but the full art cards seem to be very loved so I can't see them going.

Ok , so I'm curious to know what you guys think about changes for the Pokemon trading card game in Gen 7. Here is a little template. I want you guys viewing this thread to fill out and reply:

1. Will the looksof the cards change?: <answer>

2. Will Pokemon EX and/or Pokemon BREAK be switched by another "thing"?: <answer>

3. Will the first set or 2 only be the Pokemon exclusive to that region?: <answer>

4.Will full art cards still exist?: <answer>

1) Seems likely; so often I don't understand the changes that do happen, so why would it remain consistent now for a third generation? I am perfectly happy if it stays the same, nor does a minor aesthetic change bother me, especially if it actually does cause some level of improvement.

2) BREAK will probably be abandoned as it is a TCG-only thing. Pokémon-EX were incorporated into Mega Evolutions, so unless Gen 7 ditches Mega Evolution in the video games, it isn't going anywhere in the TCG and so the Mega Evolution mechanic would have to (awkwardly) be completely redone, including with a modifier so that all the old Mega counters/support don't affect the new or are somehow balanced with regards to the new. Additionally, Pokémon-EX are a mild revision of something that was tried with Gen III based cards and maintained until Gen IV. Put all that together and it seems quite foolish to do away with Pokémon-EX. I only wish they would limit them to abnormally potent Pokémon that don't match the typical power levels of the majority (Legendaries and pseudo-Legendaries) or those with Mega Evolutions.

3) Haven't they done that with the last two TCG generations? If so then I expect that to continue, or at least close to it. Reasonable exceptions are Secret Rares or if any past Pokémon are prominent in Gen 7 (for example, if Basic gains a Stage 1 or a Stage 1 gains a Stage 2).

4) Yes. This has been a very popular thing with both collectors and players from what I can tell. It is a relatively easy, cost effective way to please both groups (Full Arts can be used to distract or intimidate some players). Like the idea of the Parallel Holo set, I believe Full Arts are here to stay. The question is whether Extended Arts (what most on this board call Half-Arts, even though the art takes up more than half the card >.>) will ever make a return.

@Tepig4321 Consider adding the following question to the template.

5. Is there any mechanical or rule change you expect or hope for the next TCG generation, and if so briefly explain it.

5) Given the issues caused by reverting to the x2 Weakness, as well as the asymmetrical nature of current Weakness/Resistance, I hope (but do not expect) for the designers to stabilize the game by changing to a flat +20 Weakness.

1. The cards might change a little bit and will probably give us some new holo patterns. But I do think the Pokemon is pretty set on this style (which I love)

2. I think BREAK's are gonna go by the next set condidering that AT's and TP's only lasted for three sets. I hope they don't remove EX's but it might be interesting to change some sort of thing to them and make them better. But overall I'm pretty satisfied with EX's at this stage.

3. Naw, they will probably mix in a few Pokemon from other generations.

4. Fo shizzle.

1. I think that Pokemon is pretty set on the current format.

2. BREAK cards most likely aren't going to be in these final sets of XY. EX and Mega cards like the format I think they are set on for now. However eventually they will find some other mechanics.

3. We all remember that's what the first 3 sets of BW were (besides secret rares) However Kalos was not like that. I think it will depend on how many Pokemon are going to be in this generation.

4. They better but I think they will.

1. Probably some slight formatting changes, nothing major. I personally would like a new border, sort of like what happened in the HGSS era.

2. EXs were thought to be gone by Gen 6, but then Mega EXs came. Maybe a new mechanic will pop up, but they seem to like their current mechanic.

3. First sets will be exclusive to Gen 7 only if they add a lot more Pokemon. If it is like XY with only 60-70, then they cannot have a set without previous generation Pokemon.

4. Full Arts will always exist, there is absolutely no reason to get rid of them.

1. I seriously hope they change the current format because the one we have now is getting really boring, we have had it since 2011, I personally hope the new design will look more HG-SS style (Then again they haven't changed the old design RBGY until Ruby and Sapphire so who the fudge knows at this point)
2. I'm sick of EX cards, BREAK will possibly stay or be replaced with level X (because break cards are almost exactly like Level X)
3. That depends on how much Pokemon are introduced. If there are evolutions from older Pokemon then No. If there are over 100 maybe
4. Of course they will

I feel like it's pretty clear Pokemon-EX are here to stay, and personally, I'm fine with that. Yes, individual cards can make this problematic, but it means that decks with low-HP attackers (say Night March), or Evolution decks can stand up to big basics since they have a favourable prize trade. If we went back to things like BW Zekrom being the big bads, it would be hard for anything else to compete.

If anything goes, it will be BREAKs. But considering we've only just started getting BREAKs of Basic Pokemon and haven't really gotten much, if any, direct support for them yet, I'm not entirely sold on them going, either. But I do view them as one of those "extra" types of cards like Pokemon-Star or LEGENDs that were obviously always planned to be temporary.

What we get in the first set(s) of a new generation is typically based on the regional Pokedex of those games. (Both new Pokemon and returning ones. Neo Genesis had stuff like Magmar, EX Ruby & Sapphire had stuff like Weezing that was in the Hoenn Dex, and XY had things like Raichu. BW makes sense because, unlike past generations, there were no older Pokemon in the original Unova Dex. Diamond/Pearl is the one oddball, since it included things like Shiftry that WEREN'T in the Sinnoh Dex.) I'd imagine Sun and Moon (if they are indeed actually "Generation 7") will include older Pokemon in addition to the newer ones. (I think they learned from Black/White. They had to use so many Pokemon slots to introduce new Pokemon whose roles were already occupied by existing Pokemon... Plus, X/Y didn't introduce anywhere near as many Pokemon as usual, so we'll probably get another sub-100 amount this time.)

1) That could go either way. I really like the layout on cards now but if there was something special about Sun/Moon then it would be nice if the cards reflected this.

2) Break cards seem to be temporary especially since they called this the XY-Break era so kind of seems like it's a short term thing. I really like them though so they would be welcome to stay in my books. Then again I miss ancient traits, they had some lovely artwork, don't know why they scrapped them. As for EXs I see no reason to get rid of them I just wish they were diversified a bit better. Give me something unexpected like a Colourless Mantine-EX or a Psychic Victreebel-EX.

3) I'm hoping for a bigger gen with more cross-generation evolutions so in that event I would welcome more oldies. But the new gen has to be in the spotlight.

4) I don't see why not. Although I'd like them to be more creative like the gold border cards and save secret rare slots for golden trainers and shiny Pokemon.

Back