Pokemon Pokemon Style Changing, Good Or Bad

Kaiser Dynamo

I Hate Fairies...
I've noticed that the most recent Pokemon are much more complex then the old ones, and I was wondering:
Do most fans consider it a good thing or a bad thing?

If you don't know what I mean, look:

Gen 1
190px-025Pikachu.png

Gen 2
220px-249Lugia.png

Gen 4
280px-383Groudon.png

Gen 4
280px-483Dialga.png

Gen 5
250px-646Kyurem.png

Over the years, Pokemon display more details (such as specific line patters), more extra features (such as the generator tail-shape seen on Zekrom) and more.

Pokemon are starting to look more like stuff you'd see in other series, though each Pokemon still stays true to the overall Pokemon style obviously with many changes.
What do you think?

Gen 1
111Rhyhorn.png

Gen 2
210px-243Raikou.png

Gen 3
115px-370Luvdisc.png

Gen 4
425Drifloon.png

Gen 5
185px-517Munna.png

Nice job posting legendarys gen 2 onwards.
PS: You should have posted Ditto.

Honestly, I kind of like the fact that they're starting to make the Pokemon more detailed as well as make them look more mature. When the Black and White Pokemon were starting to be released they looked quite different and I guess looked more appealing to and older audience. I do hope that they will continue with this trend in future games!

I think they are going to run out of ideas pretty soon and turn to yugioh like creatures which seem to be very detailed IMO. I guess it is only some that get more detailed.

Jirachi said:
I think they are going to run out of ideas pretty soon and turn to yugioh like creatures which seem to be very detailed IMO. I guess it is only some that get more detailed.
Go to deviantART and search "Fakemon". It's impossible to run out of ideas. That's the most annoying thing you can say imo.

EDIT: FIXED deviantART.

I think that Pokemon hasn't changed much from Gen 1 to Gen 5. There will always be basic and very detailed Pokemon no matter what. As for running out of ideas, that's a lie. One can never run out of ideas.

Dragon Pokémon said:
It's easiest to see the changes in the legendaries.

Err, yes, that's because legendaries are supposed to be the most strong, mysterious, and complex, hence the most detailed. You posting one of the little cute Pokemon for Gen 1 then legendaries for the rest just shows you going out of your way to make your point look feasible.

Teal said:
Go to devinatART and search "Fakemon". It's impossible to run out of ideas. That's the most annoying thing you can say imo.

I tried searching devinatART, but nothing came up. XP

But yeah, I agree with you. Pokemon will never run out of ideas, no matter how hopeless it seems. Still waiting for a pumpkin Pokemon, and a dolphin Pokemon that is actually a dolphin, not something like Wailord or Gorebyss.

Well, it could also have something to do with the technology nowdays. Back in 1994, you couldn't do much detail-wise. With a 3DS now, they have wiggle-room to make things more detailed. And I see no problem with making Pokemon detailed, in fact I like it, because looking at the Pokemon artwork is 50% of the fun.

You can change Pikachu for Mewtwo and the result will be the same. But honestly, I've known Pokémon since its beginning but, I prefer the newer Pokémon with more details. I always thought Mewtwo looked ugly compared to other legendaries... I still like gen 1 pokémon, of course.

The Yoshi said:
I tried searching devinatART, but nothing came up. XP
dA has a search bug so that sometimes it doesn't give any results for an unknown reason. I got 94,823 results for "fakemon". You should also take in account that everybody doesn't call their own "Pokémon" Fakemon, so there are even a lot more.
click me

Well, Pokemon designs are a bit more complex. Kinda.
But it's not a bad thing at all. They're probably adding more detail because of Venasour x said.
Either that or their doing it for giggles.

Metalizard said:
You can change Pikachu for Mewtwo and the result will be the same. But honestly, I've known Pokémon since its beginning but, I prefer the newer Pokémon with more details. I always thought Mewtwo looked ugly compared to other legendaries... I still like gen 1 pokémon, of course.

I'd say a better comparison would be Articuno or Moltres. The line density for those two Legendary Pokémon are higher than Zapdos or Mewtwo.
---
And, of course, if we're going by Legendary Pokémon:

Spr_5b_144.png

Spr_5b_250.png

Spr_5b_379.png

Spr_5b_488.png

Spr_5b_639.png

I honestly don't like it getting more complex. I just like the original cute faces than the mean ugly ones. :) Although some of them are getting pretty cool.

Invalid point is invalid
130Gyarados.png

Nice job posting Pikachu for Gen 1, then posting legendaries for the next generations.

Cinesra said:
Invalid point is invalid
130Gyarados.png

Nice job posting Pikachu for Gen 1, then posting legendaries for the next generations.

I didn't say all Gen 1 Pokemon were simple.
Lots of the new Pokemon are pretty complex, as opposed to the old Pokemon where only a few had complex designs.

I personally think that Pokemon are getting a little more complex, but I still love them all the same. My favorite Pokemon come from Generations 1, 3, 4, and 5, those being Gengar, Rayquaza, Porygon-Z, and Haxorus. Yeah, sure they add a couple more details, more color pallets, and additional effects, but Pokemon will always continue this.

Back