OU: Strategy Pokemon of the Week - Rotom-Wash

RE: X / Y Pokemon of the Week #8: Greninja

I would be vary about running Hydropump on it. I would rather go with Scald/Surf on it.

Please don't. You should read the post directly above yours for why that's a bad idea.

Cinesra said:
Please don't. You should read the post directly above yours for why that's a bad idea.

He didn't say it was BAD running scald over Hydro Pump. He was just pointing out that sometimes Hydro Pump nets kills Scald usually doesn't. That's without factoring in the 36% chance to miss at least one hydro pump (which is more like 95% in competitive lol) or the 51% chance to get a burn on at least one scald. Both are viable options.

As for how I deal with Greninja users, I don't run the usual Galvantula counter that most people use. You know, drop their speed with Sticky Web and KO with Thunder. The route I usually use is a Pokemon that gets increased priority (usually a Breloom with Mach Punch), along with a Spike/Toxic Spike set I use on my Scolipede in case I can't put enough damage in with that one attack.

note: in oras this thing will be even more awesome( The mix set with Gunk Shot is just scary.)

How I use it: All-Out Attacker usually as a late game cleaner. Hydro Pump is its most powerful attack so I usually goes with that as my Greninja's job is more to damage then spread statuses. Ice Beam is just a must as we all know. I use hp Fire to deal with Scizor and Ferrothorn and the last move changes from time to time depends on the team.

How I deal with it: Mega Manectric is great as after sr he can hit hard with Volt Switch and keep safe from anything Greninja wants to throw at him. still needs to mega evolve before facing Greninja so it less works when Greninja comes early game.
Clefable Magic Guard+Calm mind with lefties can switch in and eat anything Greninja wants to throw( at least until ORAS after he will learn Gunk Shot )

RE: X / Y Pokemon of the Week #11: Venusaur

I know the weather thing has become nerfed alot, but if you're specifically building a team around sunlight and are willing to drop the recovery factor Giga Drain could be replaced by Solarbeam for more power, especially when Synthesis is factored into the mix as well. Of course it's not out of the question for Venusaur itself to be the one to cast the Sunny Day but that too is at the cost of another move so is not recommended

On the other side, if you have a Pokemon already working the poison angle such as using Poison Spikes or Toxic, Sludge Bomb could be replaced with Venoshock. Since Poison Spikes already poisoned the opposing Pokemon Venoshock's power is doubled, making it stronger than Sludge Bomb.

I think the unreliablity of getting the accurate Hidden Power makes that harder to pull off. Similarly despite Protean giving Grass Knot STAB, I tend not to use this on Pokemon that are about average sizing like this. Spikes is a good one. So waiting for Gunk Shot so that way it's better covered than anything on that last move list.

In the Hydro Pump vs. Scald/Surf debate, I'm kind of torn here. I understand that Hydro Pump has the best power of the moves and I'd be lying if I said I never ran it on any Pokemon but I doubt there is one person here who can say that move hasn't ever failed them at least once, and usually at the worst possible time too. Scald and Surf don't have that chance (bar a raise in the opponents evasion or decrease in your accuracy) with the former having a burn chance which is great for people who just Sword Dance'd their Pokemon's attack up the roof.

RE: X / Y Pokemon of the Week #10 Special: Arceus

The interesting thing with Arceus is that with the proper plate (though that means forgoing any boosting items which is a slight disadvantage) Arceus can do just about anything. This is one Pokemon that some are glad don't get Nasty Plot (our specail equivalent to Swords Dance) while others wish so hard that it did.

The plate combines with Judgement to give Arceus one of the most dangerous STAB moves in the game (unless it has more power than 100, like Hydro Pump and Solarbeam) and the same versatility can help protect it against some of it's biggest weaknesses (again Plate dependant) and that assumes your opponent can predict what kind of Arceus to expect.

At one point (pre XY) I had a moveset theoretically planned for every type of Arceus that could be made.

I have to remind everyone that this is a discussion about OU. Things that aren't viable in OU, like Galvantula, should not be brought up. Also, Hidden Power is considered standard. Don't get into details about how hard moves are to get on the Pokemon; they are not relevant to the discussion.

Since my post was brought up in the Scald/Surf vs Hydro Pump combination, I'll clarify once more: while I do not consider Scald or Surf terrible options, I still believe they are lacking compared to Hydro Pump. Scald means you depend on the burn, and if that does not succeed, then MegaZard, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham, Talonflame, Mega Scizor and Clefable can counter you. And you do not want that.

This thread is about Arceus-Normal, so please stay on topic.

I apologize if I'm wrong here but in the last sentence it says "how do you use it?" I don't see anything stating this is just about the normal type Arceus. It in fact asks about playstyles used. I wrote about how I use Arceus. Unless I'm mistaken it is on topic.

The title under the banner says Arceus-Normal. We can't discuss everything about Arceus in one thread.

I'd suggest putting that in the title of the thread to make it easier to spot. I just went straight down to the Pokemon moveset and didn't look at anything above it to see that. Everything about Arceus could be discussed in one thread but you're right that it would make it rather difficult.

X / Y Pokemon of the Week #12: Garchomp

tumblr_naqcpfQOMi1snsyxqo1_1280.png

Garchomp

written by Uralya and Chaos Jackal

garchomp.gif
garchomp-mega.gif

Base Stats

108/130/95/80/85/102

108/170/115/120/95/92 (Mega)​

A long-time favorite of many OU players, Garchomp maintains its status as a top-tier threat in Generation VI. With an amazing offensive typing, a unique Speed tier, a new Mega Evolution and respectable bulk, Garchomp has everything it needs to sweep, set up hazards or even act as a mixed attacker or revenge killer. There are very few things a Garchomp can't do, and one should always be careful when facing off against this titan of the OU metagame.

Offensive Stealth Rock

Garchomp @ Focus Sash / Lum Berry / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature / Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Fire Blast / Swords Dance​

Garchomp's traits combine to cause many switches, and this set couples Garchomp's offensive prowess with ways to take advantage of it. Stealth Rock is the set's defining feature, a staple of the metagame that Garchomp can boast about, being of only a handful of offensive Pokemon to have access to it. Earthquake and Dragon Claw provide the obligatory STAB moves, although Outrage can potentially claim the latter's spot if its power is warranted enough to make up for the added chance of getting locked into the move. Fire Blast is used to take out Steel-types, especially those that can set hazards and those that are designed to take on the sweepers on Garchomp's team. Swords Dance is another option in that slot however, so as to give it another role. A Naive nature is used with Fire Blast, and the same goes for Jolly with Swords Dance. A Focus Sash is preferred to nearly guarantee Stealth Rock's success, but a Rocky Helmet to complement Rough Skin and a Lum Berry to cure Outrage's backlash are lesser-used alternatives.

Swords Dance

Garchomp @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Fire Fang / Stone Edge​

This set is very similar to the one that made Garchomp the bane of the fourth generation and almost as strong in the fifth, just lacking the Substitute and Sand Veil combination but still wielding as much power. Using its convenient Speed tier and raw power, the focus on Swords Dance with a Life Orb allows Garchomp to become a fearsome sweeper. Once again, the nifty pair of Ground- and Dragon-type STAB moves comprise two of its moveslots, with the familiar debate over Outrage and Dragon Claw coming down to power versus safety as always. Fire Fang is a solid fourth move to handle Steel-types, but Stone Edge can be used as well to hit Pokemon like Togekiss. Substitute is also viable still. A standard physical sweeper's spread is used, but the item can vary. A Life Orb provides additional strength, and a Lum Berry can shield Garchomp from status or work around Outrage. Otherwise, a Yache Berry is usable to stifle revenge kills from the likes of Thundurus and company, Leftovers can be used with Substitute, and even Garchompite works should Garchomp be needed to tear through defensive teams - with a boosted Special Attack, Fire Blast is also an option in this regard.

Choice Scarf

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Fire Blast / Dragon Claw​

A Choice Scarf grants Garchomp the speed to assail various opponents it once couldn't at the cost of some power and move availability, letting it revenge kill and attempt late-game cleaning. Earthquake serves the same purpose as always, and Outrage garners its own spot for once, as the need for power is greater here, though the move should be used sparingly. Rock Slide and Stone Edge are equally viable ways to take out Pokemon like Volcarona and Charizard, but Rock Slide's flinch chance and accuracy compete with Stone Edge's power and ability to grab more 2HKOs. Fire Blast once again fries Steel-types, but Dragon Claw can be used to cover for Outrage's faults, and Dual Chop gains a mention for being able to take apart Substitutes. A Jolly nature should be used if either of the latter two takes Fire Blast's place.

Chain Chomp

Garchomp @ Garchompite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge​

Chain Chomp was long ago a terrifying threat that successfully shed the gimmick mold, one that gave Garchomp a reputation for surprises like no other. This generation, the fabled agitator can utilize the gigantic increases in both attack stats supplied by its Mega Evolution to give a whole new dimension to its power as an all-out attacker. Earthquake is familiar but reaches even greater heights with a Naughty nature and 170 base Attack to augment it. Draco Meteor makes an appearance as secondary STAB, aiming to destroy physically defensive switch-ins with a fully invested-in Special Attack. Fire Blast takes further advantage of this boost in roasting Steel-types on the other side of the spectrum, and Stone Edge takes it back over to complete coverage against the likes of Togekiss and Rotom-W. Though used as a wallbreaker above all else, its speed prior to Mega Evolution is useful enough to warrant full investment, and Special Attack takes the other half for obvious reasons.

Now that you know what Garchomp can do, how do you use it? What teams and playstyles do you utilize Garchomp in? How do you handle opposing Garchomp? Discuss!

X / Y Pokemon of the Week #13: Keldeo

Keldeo

written by Chaos Jackal and Uralya

keldeo.gif
keldeo-resolute.gif

Base Stats

91/72/90/129/90/108​

Keldeo might have taken a blow in the form of Fairies, Mega Pinsir and Talonflame when it comes to its viability in the XY metagame. However, that hasn't stopped it from once again being a terrifying opponent to face. With its unique typing and Secret Sword, Keldeo functions perfectly as a wallbreaker. Carrying the most powerful Hydro Pump in OU, Keldeo once again finds its niche as an Specs user or occasionally one of Calm Mind. Its opponents may have increased, but Keldeo pulls through just fine.

Choice Specs

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind / Hidden Power Flying​

The most notorious of Keldeo's sets, Choice Specs makes its return in XY OU as the pinnacle of wallbreaking. Boosted Hydro Pump's power is terrifying, obliterating any opponent foolish enough to switch into it. Scald can be used as an alternative thanks to its higher accuracy and burn chance if you don't want to be locked into an 80 accuracy move. Secret Sword takes care of specially defensive Pokemon that can take Hydro Pump, namely Chansey and Blissey. Last slot options depend on what you want to defeat. If Venusaur is a major problem, HP Flying is the only move that can reliably damage it. Icy Wind, on the other hand, takes care of Dragons, mainly Lati@s, which outspeed Keldeo and resist both its STABs.

Calm Mind

Keldeo @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump / Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Flying / Icy Wind / Substitute​

If one doesn't want Keldeo to be locked into a move, Calm Mind is the best alternative. Keldeo's unique typing and the switches it forces as well as a possible Choice bluff allow it to set up Calm Mind relatively well. Hydro Pump and Secret Sword are again the main attack and coverage, functioning similarly to the previous set. Scald can be used as an alternative to Hydro Pump if its accuracy is too low for you; however, keep in mind that the power drop is very noticeable. The last slot once again depends on the team's needs, with HP Flying taking care of Venusaur and Icy Wind of Dragons. If neither are a problem, Substitute is also an option to avoid status, but the aforementioned threats must be removed in order for Keldeo to setup, and Life Orb damage alongside Substitute may reduce survivability if not used properly.

Choice Scarf

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Electric​

Keldeo can don a Choice Scarf in order to become a fearsome revenge killer and surprise many of the would-be faster checks to its other sets. Hydro Pump and Secret Sword possess their usual purposes here, with Hydro Pump absolutely necessary to compensate for this set's relative lack of power. Scald, occupying the third slot, can be used as an alternative for reasons of accuracy and burn infliction chances as usual too. In the last slot, Hidden Power Electric performs well now that Keldeo has the ability to outspeed Gyarados and combat Azumarill. Hidden Power Ice is also viable for Latios, Latias, and even +1 Dragonite, who is Knocked Out if Multiscale isn't active. Keldeo can lastly utilize Icy Wind in Scald's stead if Gyarados and Dragonite are problems - Hidden Power Electric will be used alongside it in this case.

Now that you know what Keldeo can do, how do you use it? What teams and playstyles do you utilize Keldeo in? How do you handle opposing Keldeo? Discuss!

Pokemon of the Week #14: Mew

Mew

written by Chaos Jackal

mew.gif

Base Stats

100/100/100/100/100/100​

Mew is a former UU Pokemon which rose to prominence during the later stages of the XY era. An underrated gem, Mew is an amazingly versatile Pokemon owning to its well-balanced stats but above all its incredible movepool. There are many who underestimate or ignore the effectiveness of Mew, only to find themselves staring in disbelief as Mew, refusing to die, takes control of the battlefield.

Utility

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog / Taunt
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off​

With enough Speed to outspeed Jolly Mega Heracross and physical bulk capable of countering Mega Medicham, this Mew set is either a great Defogger or a perfect Stallbreaker. With Defog, Mew reliably removes entry hazards, allowing its teammates an easier job on the field, while Taunt shuts down most defensive Pokemon that form Stall cores. Soft-Boiled keeps it alive for an insanely long time, allowing it to do the job again and again. Will-O'-Wisp cripples physical attackers, making them dead weight as long as Mew is alive, or slowly eats away on walls while they ineffectively try to stand against Mew. Knock Off saves Mew from being complete Taunt bait and allows it to greatly reduce the effectiveness of many Pokemon by removing their items, be it offensive or defensive. In short, Mew can keep the field clean for a very long time or easily dismantle entire Stall cores with very little help from the rest of the team.

Now that you know what Mew can do, how do you use it? What teams and playstyles do you utilize Mew in? How do you handle opposing Mew? Discuss!

Pokemon of the Week #15: Metagross

Metagross

written by Uralya

metagross.gif
metagross-mega.gif

Base Stats

80/135/130/95/90/70

80/145/150/105/110/110 (Mega)​

Long ago, this game's very own version of Quadraxis was quite a force to be reckoned with. In the past four years, however, coverage issues, powercreep, and even a reduction in Steel's resistances had made life hard for Metagross, who had wallowed around in the shadows of OU in that time. Now, it's back in the spotlight due to the blessing of its own Mega Stone, which gave it a new form that has improvements in every aspect. Metagross, while still having moveslot syndrome that causes it to be walled by various Pokemon, has the right movepool, typing and stats to make a tremendous impact on the metagame once more.

All-Out Attacker

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake / Hammer Arm​

Doing what Metagross is best known for, this set punches holes with the best of them but can also clean up thanks in part to the stat boosts of its Mega Evolution. Meteor Mash is its signature STAB, now with the ability to take apart Fairies. Ice Punch makes a return from older generations to slay Dragon-types and Pokemon like Gliscor and Landorus-T. Zen Headbutt functions as Metagross' secondary STAB move, removing Fighting-types and notably Rotom-W with a 2HKO. In the last slot, Eathquake covers Steel-types like Heatran and Jirachi that otherwise wall it, but Hammer Arm is an option to flatten the pesky Air Balloon Heatran, as well as Skarmory. Other options include Bullet Punch, which destroys fast Rock-types like Diancie, Aerodactyl and Tyranitar; Pursuit can nail down Latios and Latias and go for chip damage; and Grass Knot with a Naive nature acts as a trump card for Mega Slowbro, 2HKOing after SR and chip damage. Its EVs are maximized offensively to do what it does best, and a Jolly nature (or Naive) helps it get the jump on pivotal threats within the 100-110 base speed range.

Mega Agiligross

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash / Iron Head
- Agility / Rock Polish
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake / Hammer Arm / Ice Punch​

This set takes a page from one of Metagross' most fearsome sets from the past and adds a whole new layer of menace to it, being a sound and speedy wallbreaker and cleaner at once thanks to titanic stats, speed-boosting moves and a diverse movepool. Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt return as Metagross' STAB moves, although the option of Iron Head is enticing due to its perfect accuracy and convenient flinch possibilities to couple with Metagross' increased speed. Zen Headbutt also has new advantages with this set, as boosted speed allows Metagross to handle Water-types well, specifically Keldeo. Agility/Rock Polish adds its new dimension by allowing it to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame and even boosted threats up to neutral +2 Excadrill, which further pushes Metagross' label as a fast sweeper. Finally, the fourth slot juggles its coverage moves, consisting of Earthquake, Hammer Arm and Ice Punch. Metagross' EV spread allows for top attack power, solid bulk, and the ability to outspeed neutral base 100s as an unboosted Mega Evolution.

Now that you know what Metagross can do, how do you use it? What teams and playstyles do you utilize Metagross in? How do you handle opposing Metagross? Discuss!

Pokemon of the Week #16: Altaria

Altaria

written by Uralya and Chaos Jackal

altaria.gif
altaria-mega.gif

Base Stats

75/70/90/70/105/80

75/110/110/110/105/80 (Mega)​

Altaria is one of those Pokemon whose newfound gift of Mega Evolution really pulled it out from the bottom of the barrel. For many, and perhaps rightfully, the worst fully evolved Dragon in the game, Altaria was among the last things that would come to someone's mind on hearing the word Overused. But this is no more. With boosted stats, great typing, and the ability to perform a variety of roles, Mega Altaria gives a new lease on life to its once destitute form, launching it into the skies of the OU metagame.

Bulky Dragon Dance

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Return / Facade
- Heal Bell / Substitute / Earthquake​

While a mono-attacking setup sweeper at first may not look very enticing, Altaria can pull it off splendidly with this set. Using its typing and bulk, Altaria is very independent defensively and can start a sweep once special walls and Steel-types are dealt with. Dragon Dance facilitates this, giving it great power after two or so boosts. Roost provides Altaria with much-needed recovery, something any bulky setup sweeper normally values. Return is the only mandatory offensive move as its STAB, which has ample enough coverage by itself. In the last slot, if you are using Return, Heal Bell and Subsitute can both be used alongside it to prevent status conditions once Altaria loses Natural Cure. However, if you choose to use Earthquake for things like Heatran, Diancie and Jirachi, Facade is best used over Return to cover for the lack of status control. This set's EV spread aims to cover as much ground defensively as possible, with enough Defense to endure 2HKOs from CB Dragonite (EQ), Mega Heracross (Rock Blast), and boosted neutral Mega Charizard-X (Flare Blitz); and enough Special Defense to survive the same from LO Thundurus (HP Ice). Altaria's given speed gets the jump on Azumarill unboosted and outspeeds Mega Lopunny after two boosts. A spread of Jolly 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 Spe can be used to cover Thundurus after one boost however.

Offensive Dragon Dance

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe or 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature or Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost / Fire Blast
- Return
- Earthquake​

One of Altaria's most threatening sets, this variant of Dragon Dance needs only one boost from Dragon Dance to begin smacking opponents around with its great coverage. Return and Earthquake return as its main moves, with the former a 135 base STAB move after the application of Pixilate. These two alone cover the majority of common Pokemon. Outside of that, the fourth move is a decision between Roost, which pairs well with Altaria's natural bulk, and Fire Blast, which can roast Steel-types not weak to Earthquake - Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory - but may just better be left to another teammate as a job. Lastly, Facade and Subsitute are decent options in their respective slots but are more situational on this set. The EV spread is straightforward for maximized offensive capacity - a Naughty nature should only be used if Fire Blast is on the set.

Bulky Support

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower / Earthquake / Perish Song​

Altaria's versatility is showcased here by its switch to a specially based defensive pivot. Heal Bell and Roost provide Altaria's endurance and utility as a cleric, calling cards of this set in particular. Hyper Voice is the Fairy STAB of choice as opposed to Moonblast, which is weaker when Pixilate is factored in. The last slot can be composed of various offensive options or more utility. Flamethrower and Earthquake both provide additional coverage for Steel-types, and Perish Song can act as a deterrent to sweepers setting up against Altaria. Other options include Haze, which allows Altaria to combat Slowbro and Sableye - stall's cornerstones - in addition to Mega Latias, and Draco Meteor, which only has the use of nuking Mega Charizard-X. The given spread allows it to survive 2HKOs from (Icy Wind) Keldeo, (Psyshock) Latios, and (Earthquake) max-Attack Landorus-T.

Special Attacker

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heal Bell / Earthquake
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast​

The climax of Altaria's boundless sets is this, the polar opposite of Dragon Dancing over teams. This set aims to function as an offensive pivot that takes status well and fires off attacks with little impunity - it can also act as a lure for opponents fearing a Dragon Dancer. Roost is staple on Altaria due to its great mixed bulk, and Heal Bell once again can enable it to function as a cleric, though Earthquake can be an option for Heatran. Hyper Voice provides Altaria's STAB move like before, and Fire Blast serves as the primary coverage move for the power it brings with which to knock off Scizor and Ferrothorn, among others. Other options are Perish Song to scare off sweepers, Draco Meteor as an unwieldy nuke, Ice Beam to OHKO Landorus formes and Gliscor (both die to Hyper Voice anyways), and Agility to pull off fast sweeps (Altaria lacks power though). The given EV spread allows Altaria to be as bulky and powerful as possible while having enough speed to outrun Jolly Heracross and Adamant Excadrill.

Now that you know what Altaria can do, how do you use it? What teams and playstyles do you utilize Altaria in? How do you handle opposing Altaria? Discuss!

Pokemon of the Week #17: Slowbro

Slowbro

written by Uralya

slowbro.gif
slowbro-mega.gif

Base Stats

95/75/110/100/80/30

95/75/180/130/80/30 (Mega)​

Slowbro was quite literally the physical embodiment of its namesake for awhile, sitting stupidly in competitive mediocrity. It found use in the fifth generation and early sixth generation as a counter to the slew of new Fighting-types and enjoyed access to the Regenerator ability. Now, come ORAS, Slowbro is firmly established in OU with access to its own Mega Evolution, which boasts titanic physical bulk, welcome attacking power, a solid ability, and great typing. Despite not gaining any enhancement on its less-than-desirable special defense, Slowbro is a great defensive Pokemon and a potential win condition for some teams given the right support.

Physical Wall

Slowbro @ Leftovers / Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD or 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Foul Play / Fire Blast / Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Slack Off

Slowbro's flagship set from the previous generation returns just as viable now given the array of new threats that Slowbro can take on, such as Mega Gallade. However, it now has the option to boost its bulk via the Slowbronite item, turning it into a valuable part of defensive cores. Scald is Slowbro's ubiquitous STAB move, valued especially for its 30% burn chance. The second slot is comprised of offensive utility options - Foul Play delivers a solid OHKO to Gallade by using its own attack stat against it a majority of the time, Fire Blast can take care of the many Steel-types, and Ice Beam is a means of nailing Gliscor, Landorus formes and Altaria. Mega Slowbro has additional benefits to add to Ice Beam's viability, as it can survive two Returns from a +1 Mega Altaria and land a 2HKO back. In the third slot, support can be offered defensively by Thunder Wave, which lets Slowbro outspeed any Pokemon with less than 385 speed before paralysis, or Toxic, which adds a stalling dimension that can be helpful against offensive threats like Mega Charizard X, who has a small chance to 2HKO Slowbro with a +1 Dragon Claw and likewise has the same chance with a +2 of said move against Mega Slowbro. Lastly, Slack Off provides Slowbro with valuable recovery to enhance its tanking ability. In terms of other moves, Grass Knot can break Substitutes set up by both of Gyarados' formes, and Psyshock can hit Fighting-types hard. The given EV spreads are to be used respectively with Slowbro and Mega Slowbro - with either and the correct forme, Slowbro can endure two hits from Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump after factoring in Stealth Rock (Mega Slowbro's additional 56 SpD EVs accomodate for the lack of Leftovers) while still having great physical bulk.

CroBro

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Sleep Talk / Psyshock
- Rest / Slack Off

This variant follows the trail blazed by CM Suicune as a bulky water capable of boosting to great levels through the Rest + Sleep Talk combo. Mega Slowbro is a more-than-welcome addition to this set, as Shell Armor protects it from the bane of CM boosters: critical hits. Scald makes an appearance once again as Slowbro's main STAB, and the Pokemon can make do as a mono-attacker thanks to Scald's good neutral coverage. Calm Mind is also an obvious move, allowing Slowbro to power up Scald and also patch up its Special Defense stat. In the other two slots, the combination of Rest and Sleep Talk allows Slowbro to act as one of the best RestTalk users in the game, but Slack Off is also a viable recovery option; moreover, the lack of Sleep Talk frees up room for Psyshock, which is a nice asset for taking on Chansey and Blissey, who both wall Slowbro otherwise. However, if one fears a vulnerability to Toxic, Rest is preferable to Slack Off.

Bulky Attacker

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 216 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Fire Blast / Psychic
- Ice Beam / Grass Knot / Psychic

Slowbro's last notable set is markedly different from its other two in that it aims to utilize Mega Slowbro's base 130 Special Attack to the fullest extent while still tanking various physical attacks. Slack Off and Scald return as staple moves for Slowbro's role as a tank, and the rest of its set is composed of various attacking options. Fire Blast is here to roast Steel-types like Scizor and Ferrothorn, but Psychic is viable for the ability to deal good damage to Fighting-types, Conkeldurr and Mega Venusaur. Ice Beam is preferred in the last slot for coverage against dragons and the Ground/Flying-type tanks, though Grass Knot, which handles both formes of Gyarados once more, or Psychic can work as well. The given EVs allow Slowbro to speedcreep Pokemon with uninvested base 30 Speed stats and survive two Dragon Claws from a +1 Mega Charizard X without Stealth Rock in play. Slowbro can then use Psychic or Scald aided by the leftover EVs to 2HKO Charizard back.

Discuss!

Pokemon of the Week #18: Manectric

Manectric

written by Chaos Jackal

manectric.gif
manectric-mega.gif

Base Stats

70/75/60/105/60/105

70/75/80/135/80/135 (Mega)​

From trash to flash, Manectric was another of those Pokemon, like Mawile or Beedrill, whom nobody would ever think of adding to a team. Horribly outclassed by Jolteon, relatively weak and possessing a shallow movepool nearly on the level of the likes of Klinklang, Manectric could only boast about its 105 Speed, and that wasn't much. That is, until a developer decided he liked the Pokemon too much to leave it as such - Manectric was blessed with a Mega Evolution. With monstrous Speed, outspeeding even it former nemesis Jolteon, ample coverage, increased bulk, and a workable Special Attack stat, Manectric finally has the tools it needs to carve out its niche among the Electric-types in OU.

The Flash

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat / Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Ice

The absolute must of many a VoltTurn team and most such cores, Mega Manectric might not have much compared to other Pokemon, but it has exactly what it needs to do the job perfectly. With Lightningrod providing an extremely useful Electric immunity before evolution and Intimidate to top it off afterwards, it's easy for Manectric to come in through the Volt Switches and U-Turns of its teammates and continue the trend, sporting the most powerful unboosted Volt Switch in OU. Thunderbolt complements this in cases where power is needed over momentum, and Hidden Power Ice makes a pseudo BoltBeam combination for nearly impeccable coverage. Overheat completes the set, providing Manectric with a solid means of breaking through Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, as well as Venusaur before evolution and other Manectric. Flamethrower is an alternative if 90% accuracy and a -2 Special Attack drop don't sit well with you, but keep in mind that Manectric is a Pokemon that switches in and out a lot, and the drop in power is more than noticeable.

Discuss!

Back