Pokemon is a money stealing scheme. Have no cash? Playing pokemon? Connection!!!

Do you agree with this article?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you trying to say that anything fun, that's a hobby, and someone makes money of it "steals money from you." If so, I think I can make this country a dictatorship. I think I'll dump all hobbies I do [airsoft guns, Pokemon, math (hey you have to buy pencils!,) and Legos.] Have fun with boredom! Rikko, just because you got banned from this game doesn't mean you can troll about Pokemon.

I've probably only spent about $200 on this game in about a year.

My parents, who are well off, do Hunting as a hobby and spend thousands on gas and what not to do what they do.

You don't HAVE to spend that much money to play.

Mathematics are a subject of study. Pencils are not required. Airsoft is justifiable if you have an interest in combat simulation that may help your future. I paintball, personally. Legos are a nice hobby. One time purchase, teaches architecture, and helps people understand with the use of a 3D model.

it doesnt matter if they are paid for its the point that you PAID for it to have that hobby. just like you might buy some seeds for what ever we will buy a pack or 2 for 4 or 8 bucks...its not like we are spending thousands at a time. its not that expensive.

edit: LEGOS ARE A MONEY STEALING COMPANY THAT SCAMS PEOPLE AND YOU JUST GET A STUPID PEICE OF PLASTIC THAT DOES NOTHING. COLLECTING LEGOS AND GOT NO MONEY CONNECTION!!!!!!!....see stupid argument.

Wow, Rikko you crack me up. Seriously, I have no idea why you act like some psychological genius with amazing intellectual prowess. I'm late so I only have 1 new point:

What's a life without doing something fun? A pretty boring one...Actually, it's a horrible one and it's almost a waste. Look around you and you'll fin that EVERYONE. Every. Single. Person. Has something that they do for fun or as a hobby. For some its pokemon, others hiking, others planting trees. But ALL OF THEM cost money at some point.

You like hiking? What's the cost of gear? $40? maybe more?
What about a walk in the park? Doesn't it cost gas to get there? What about the lunch or supplies you brought for the day?
What if your hobby is to work? It costs money to drive to and fro...
What if you work at home through a computer? It costs electricity to run that computer...

NO HOBBIES ARE FREE. There will ALWAYS be some cost to them, even if it is minimal and you get it back. In the case of the Pokemon TCG, if you know when and where to purchase stuff, sure you can make money off of it. It's all about taking the initiative to ensure you get that money back.

As for your trees, sure the seeds may hardly cost anything, but doesn't it take water to help them grow? I don't know where you live and what your climate is like, but it would take a freak year to water a tree by rain itself. (Im stating this simply because you're growing fruit-bearing trees). Plus, who's to say, you don't get insects or animals stealing your fruit? Or somebody vandalizes your garden? You'd be pretty screwed since all that money you spent was wasted, not to mention that there are decent odds of that happening to anyone. The odds of those negative aspects apply to the positives of pokemon TCG. The odds of pulling a few rares are not always big, but they still happen, and they happen to a lot of people, occasionally multiple times.

The point I'm making is that you need to look up your facts and realize that life is not always a lose-lose situation for everyone except yourself.

Kraai - Well then your parents should really spend their money better, if they're paying thousands to hunt. Because you didn't make it very clear what they were spending thousands to do, so the safest assumption was what you'd most previously mentioned.

My point is that they STILL cost significant money. I spend about $10 a month on pencils, about $20 on BBs and about $600 total on Legos. If you use an online combat simulation, you're connected to the internet and thus, costs money. Almost nothing today is free. (okay, welfare is free for some people.)

Thanks for pointing out that sarcasm, my feeble mind totally wouldn't have caught on to that.

And, when the apocalypse (or whatever) occurs and we all turn into metaphorical animals as you predict happening relatively soon (i.e. before we die), your paintball stuff or whatever other "inexpensive hobbies" you refer to aren't going to help you too much. Unless, of course, your hobby is stockpiling food, water, and GUNS GUNS GUNS.

Also, when we decide to spontaneously revert to the ways of humans from millenniums ago, something tells me that the stakes on your parent's land aren't going to mean much to these supposedly savage humans in search of food and water.

catutie - Don't think so? Add it up.

XanderPitz1010 - How could it take a lot of rain to water a few trees? There's always enough water. Always has been, and always will be, in this area, at least. I walk near my home. So I keep up my normal diet. And why would I need special gear for hiking? That's very touristy. You must live in a suburban area, I'm guessing? Just a guess, seeing that's the point of view you seem to carry. Vandals can't get to my back lot area because it's surrounded by barbed wire, courtesy of the neighbors, and I live in a close-knit community, where we take care of each other. And animals that I catch stealing from my plants don't last long. Plus they stay well away human scent, which is all over those trees.

It's only a lose-lose situation for people if they're incompetant, which I'm beginning to have my suspicions on.

Azelf Master - Those are ridiculous amounts and your financial downfalls are your problem.

Noobmuffin - I have never seen somebody get through a barbed-wire fence unscathed. And believe me, we have enough gun colletors in the family.

Xanderpitz - Now, I only mean the downfall of government. Which is most likely going to happen. Wether our lifetime or our childrens', it'll happen. Plus I live in an agricultural community, as stated many times. We could easily go on farming and eating our corn, beans, and animals we hunt. Of course, another governing body would invade and destroy the small communities, most likely a neighboring country looking to expand. I'm basing this off of history. And history repeats itself.

Seeing as I have nobody to debate with, I'll be going to sleep soon.

^sir....im not stupid. i know if you buy 2 packs of seeds and i buy 2 packs of cards there will be a BIG difference in price BUT i was saying 8 dollars isnt that much money...

what.....obviously you havnt been hiking....i go all the time (i live in las vegas so its usually mountain climbing but hey its still hiking) you have to bring a back pack, the right shoes, water, food, or anything else to prepare for the worst (i usually bring GPS, knife, and a deck of cards :D lol)

and also...if you live in an agricultural area then it must rain at least enough so you dont have to water...thus you dont have to spend on water but most people have to have watering systems put in (im not a gardener...i kill plants when i try and raise one...)

Might as well kill yourself now because all that hard work would be for nothing when you die....

OnTopic: Pokemon is a hobby not an obsession, you don't HAVE to get EVERY single card.

Catutie - I apologize for any personal disrespect. However, give me a one word answer. Which will make more money and offer more reward? My seeds, or your twenty pokemon cards?

#1Weavile - I will have given my family a secure future, extended the human population (which is an organism's purpose in the ecosystem), will have been a devout Christian my whole life, will have been able to serve my country in the armed services, and will have the satisfaction of a job well done. Plus some fruit when I'm old. ;)

Well, you're right I do live in a suburban area, but I clearly mentioned that I don't know your climate and I don't know how much rainfall you get each year, not to mention that I also don't know how many trees you have (20 acres sounds like nearly 100 or more to me).

As for your close-knit community, mine is too. In fact it's rate the most safe community in my entire state. However, we still get people vandalizing other's homes. As for that barbed wire, it's not really that hard to get across.

Trust me, I live in a neighborhood surrounded by a forest as well. Animals do NOT stay away from human scent. All it is to them is just some unrecognized scent among thousands of others and they have no idea as to whether or not they should label it as a predator.

I'm not saying that everything is a lose-lose situation. It's just that from what your argument claims...you're the person here with the most financial common sense and everyone is getting dooped by pokemon among other things.

I'm a senior in high school, and unlike you, I enjoy hobbies involving interaction with other people. True they may spend a few bucks here and there, but I also have the financial knowledge and responsibility to always spend in reasonable amounts. With a 3.83 GPA and 31 on the ACT I got a $16,000 scholarship, and it's still not enough to pay for college with this economy. I have worked my *arse* off to apply for scholarships and financial aid and have landed myself a full ride at Wayne State University, which is a Tier 1 college. Obviously, other people have their own great financial acts to tell and you should at least have the courtesy to realize that.

One final thing that no one has said (or so I presume): Yes, people spend money on pokemon, but you know what? If we didn't spend money, then the economy would suffer even more. It's the Financial Law of Circulation. You spend money, corporations or small business owners get money, small business owners spend money and corporations divvy it up amongst their workers, and the workers spend the money and it repeats. Heck, I could even claim pokemon is doing a good thing for the economy and it would make sense. Besides, pokemon is not a monopoly and they have their deficits as well.

And yes, history does repeat itself, but only if people don't learn from the past and don't make those mistakes. If you go to any school they teach history there and people learn about the mistakes of their predecessors.

What I don't understand is why you've spent such a ridiculous amount of money on them. 600$ for legos? Really? I pick up free pencils from advertisement booths at fairs and school and such, re-use target-purpose BB's, and have used the same legos since I was 7 years old.

Its true, and we know its true. I agree with him, and i think that its stupid that all of you are bashing him because of his opinion. Rikko doesn't seem like a bad person, and just because he pointed out the obvious doesn't mean you should hate.
This thread is like epicly off-topic. We like Pokémon so we blow money on it. It's a hobby, and some of us collect. It's obviously stupidly exspensive for ten pieces of cardboard and ink, but if you do good/win then you can sell what you win for profit. Pokémon hosts free tournaments, and everyone has fun, and that's the point of it all. Too have fun.

Xander, I applaud your efforts. And yes, I go to school as well. But you must realize a large percent of that money goes overseas. Just to slap the label "Pokemon" on something you have to pay a Japanese company for the legality. You must have very different ways of treating your animals, then. We leave them alone here unless they get in the way. Then we hunt them. Plain and simple. They know to label humans as predators, because they will be terminated from the population if they don't, if you get my drift. I, too, enjoy interacting with others. However, not when I'm spending a collosal amount to do so. I've been known to splurge once in a while. Very seldomly. And yes, I say 'my land' because I do keep very close track of my family's finances. I balance my own accounts and do my own banking. If my grandmother/mom works for three extra years I get 50% off my costs at the best college in our state. I have a very nice GPA as well. It never does cease to amaze me, though, at how different two communities can be. These aren't just wire fences with barbs on top. These are pretty much super-thick chicken wire with a barb or two on every square. Good work with that scholarship, though.

you cant really offend me...so dont worry lol. and by the sound of it...you seem stingy. and lets see. you grow 40 trees 10 die because of what ever you get about 150 lets say apples from your trees. sell them for maybe 1.50 a pound (im also not a fruit sales men....) you make about 300 dollars and it took about 3 years but then you have that 300 each year from then on.

i buy 3 packs. sell all the stuff i got for 40, then but more pull gengar prime/lux x/ what ever other card. sell for 90. buy a box. get 2 gengar primes, what ever else. sell for 100+ puy another box get 2 lux x, what ever else sell everything for 200+ pretty good considering that i only spent about 12 dollars in the begining. how much would you have spent

lets see the land, a water sorce (but you live in a rainy area im presuming), the seeds, the stand to sell the fruit, probably the spot in a farmers market to sell the fruit...its adding up isnt it.

Thanks, LegosLock. I just want people to wake up and realize what they're spending. I mean, look at all the other stuff you could use it for. This all started when I watched my grandfather/dad go through a bin of games at Best Buy, saying, "We'll only buy one." then get suckered in by advertising until he had his hands full. I talked him back to just one, but I realized that the exact same thing is happening to a lot of people, specifically those playing the TCG's, and I think it's wrong. People should question things, not just say, "Four dollars, that's the standard for a pack, that makes it reasonable."

But you're playing against set odds. You will stumble in a fault somewhere along that line of dominoes, if you don't go with a rigid plan, like my fruit example. You probably won't get 40$ worth in cards out of 3 packs. You probably won't pull a Lux X out of a single box. You probably won't pull two Gengar Prime from a box or two. However, I won't say there are't costs in farming. I've only done about 1100 sq. feet of seasonal plants so far, so the fruit trees are still growing, but I just sell the garden reapings to whoever buys them. Of course, I keep the healthiest to take seeds from, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back