Pokemon Communication or Ultra Ball?

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
Incase you didn't know the new Ultra Ball which hasn't been released yet does this:

ultra-ball.jpg

Ultra Ball - Trainer’s Goods

This card can’t be used unless you discard 2 cards from your hand.

Choose 1 Pokemon card from your deck, show it to your opponent, and put it in your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

You can use any number of Goods cards during your turn.

or

98-pokemon-communication.jpg

Which one is better?

Pokemon Communication. No question. That doesn't mean that you can't play both. I think 4 Communication and 3 Ultra Ball will be the normal amount per deck.

They're both great, and to be honest, it's going to be hard to make a call right now to see which is better.
Ultra Ball is probably the better card, but I feel like Communication is just better from my standpoint, probably because with Ultra Ball you don't need Pokemon in your hand. However, most of the time, you'll have a Pokemon in your hand anyway...

...for now I'd have to say Communication. That, and you're discarding too many cards for Junk Arm as it is.

It depends on your situation.

Pokémon communication would be better eraly in the game because you've still got the max amount of pokemon in your hand/deck, and you probably have something like Elm's, Dual Ball, or Collector to let you search a Pokémon out. Ultra Ball might be useful late game, though. It would combo well with Junk Arm I'd like to point out, and it would allow you to discard useless techs from your hand rather than shuffling them back in to draw later. It depends on your situation.

It depends on the deck. We'll have to wait and see. Ultra Ball is much better because you don't need a Pokemon in your hand to use it. But in a deck that can't afford a lot of discarding, running it in the same deck as Junk Arm is risky and it's not as Junk-Armable as Pokemon Communication. It's harder to use this to hand match with Yanmega and it doesn't prevent decking out like Communication.

I'm expecting both to be played in decks until Junk Arm gets rotated, then I'd be anything it will be Ultra Ball and sometimes Communication on top of it. For now though, I'd probably be expecting it to be 3 of 1 and 2 of the other on average.

It depends on the deck. In Yanmega, Ultra Ball could be nice to help limit hand size and get a Pokemon. In Magnezone, it could work to get rid of useless cards to draw more with Magnetic Draw. But I feel like all decks (except for those with Vileplume) will run some of each.

Yeah, Vileplume probably gets the most benefit from this card. Followed by Magnezone, followed by Typhlosion, followed by everything else.

Although Communication is better in Yanmega where you don't want to burn all your resources right away and ideally you're not using those kinds of cards for the hand match.

It's a faster, guaranteed Communication that can discard extra Vileplume parts or extra trainers right before it gets the lock. Communication was clunky and annoying in the deck; this will be so much better for it. Vileplume is unique in that once Vileplume is out, it stays out; no need to set up extra copies.

Personally I think Ultra Ball is only good in Trainer Lock decks that are trying to achieve that early game lock with Vileplume or Gothitelle. Any other deck that runs Junk Arm and Catcher I still say Communication is better cause you're not wasting Pokemon you could be using later in the game while you are still getting what you need. I don't see it being a staple card in every deck like Luxury Ball was last format but it will see play in specific decks that need it.

If you're running Junk Arm with Ultra Ball that means you're basically discarding 4 cards when 2 or 3 out of those 4 cards you discarded you may have been able to use to make a comeback in the game or a key piece you need to win the game when other copies of those cards might be stuck in your prizes with no way to get them back. As much as I'd love to see Azelf Time Walk back in this format it just doesn't feel the same with Rotom UD and Alph 4 where you know what prize to draw when you KO a Pokemon.

It will definitely be a staple - it's just that it won't be an automatic 4-of like Communication has been. This card is much better than Communication late-game when you have 3 Pokemon in your deck and need one of them.

Im pretty sure ultra ball is comeing out in nobile victores. But i would say ultra ball maybe because it would be good with bianca.

I have my doubts with Ultra Ball coming out in NV. It's not impossible, however.

Ultra Ball is in the Zekrom Reshiram EX decks in Japan, which I'm not even sure are out yet, so there is no way it is going to be in Noble Victories. Also, Bianca is a really bad card that is outclassed by Cheren, Shage's Training, and PONT so that doesn't really matter much with Ultra Ball, if the widespread use of Junk Arm couldn't make Bianca playable Ultra Ball probably won't either.

Well in pokemon red collection there is only 66 cards in there and i dont know where elise the cards are going to be comeing from. Bianca can be good if you have ultra ball and junk arm in a deck.

Ultra Ball is in the Zekrom Reshiram EX decks in Japan, which I'm not even sure are out yet, so there is no way it is going to be in Noble Victories.
Emerging Powers had cards that turned up later in Psycho Drive (female Unfezant, summer Deerling/Sawsbuck, the cooler-looking but suckier Ferrothorn).
Don't discount the possibility.

thepliskin5005 said:
Well in pokemon red collection there is only 66 cards in there and i don't know where elise the cards are going to be comeing from. Bianca can be good if you have ultra ball and junk arm in a deck.

Bianca is still inferior to PONT. And there are a decent number of cards that came out in Japan before Hail Blizzard and Psycho Drive, let alone the Reshiram Zekrom EX decks, that we haven't gotten in English. There is another thread on that though. There is an (extremely small) chance of us getting Ultra Ball I suppose, but why that instead of another random trainer card out in Japan?

Does anyone think this works like extremely well in typhlosion based decks...it can get you t2 typhlo's(i mean in plural yes),and make the deck even faster and better than it already is...:)

Ideally, you want those fire energies inside the discard pile by the time you get out a typhlosion, so Ultra Ball does help with the discarding. If you ever need to reuse a trainer like catcher by Junk Arm, keep in mind that it can be wise to discard an Ultra Ball in your hand after you setup around T4.

Don't forget that some decks will be using Heavy Ball and Level Ball as well. Not all decks can use them obviously, but some decks will really be able to take advantage of them.

Back