Event PokeBeach's June 2017 PTCGO Tournament, Sponsored by TCGPlayer.com!

I've lobbied for an increase in the player cap nearly every month since I've started hosting because I hate having to turn people away. As I said before, the interest isn't there. You want a 128-player tourney? Show me the interest. Turning away a dozen plus people is preferable to turning away fifty. I'm sure the 32 extra people who get to play now that the cap is 96 instead of 64 are real happy I pushed that change through because that's a huge number of people who get to play instead of having to wait..
Why not just let in up to 128 if you don't get 128 who cares and a ton of people will drop no matter what anyway. Also I'm more upset that you purposely want people to miss out to please subs than me actually missing out by 1 spot.

@Slurmee

Your attitude is baffling.

Let's be clear; PokéBeach and @PMJ don't have to put on these events for our enjoyment, let alone offer the chance to win something. These tournaments are run exceptionally well by @PMJ, who volunteers his time for the benefit of the community.

Take a step back and have a look at the way you are approaching this conversation. Your suggestion of upping the cap to 128 players isn't a bad idea but also consider the ramifications (e.g. more time required of the organisers, the quality and duration of the competition, would signups consistently hit the cap, etc.). Constructive feedback is important but don't jump in with such a negative attitude towards those that provide a great service to this community.

Also, as I said previously, you're more than welcome to add me on PTCGO if you want to play some practice matches in the meantime. I'm sure there are plenty of others on the forum that would be willing to help you out too.

Last edited:
@Slurmee

Your attitude is baffling.

Let's be clear; PokéBeach and @PMJ don't have to put on these events for our enjoyment, let alone offer the chance to win something. These tournaments are run exceptionally well by @PMJ, who volunteers his time for the benefit of the community.

Take a step back and have a look at the way you are approaching this conversation. Your suggestion of upping the cap to 128 players isn't a bad idea but also consider the ramifications (e.g. more time required of the organisers, the quality and duration of the competition, would signups consistently hit the cap, etc.). Constructive feedback is important but don't jump in with such a negative attitude towards those that provide a great service to this community.

Also, as I said previously, you're more than welcome to add me on PTCGO if you want to play some practice matches in the meantime. I'm sure there are plenty of others on the forum that would be willing to help you out too.
The one and only reason they dont make the cap higher is because it would hurt the subscriber count and so instead they want people to miss out so people either pay or dont play. This and only this is why I'm upset it's a money grab and i don't care how you spin it the reason they do it is so they make more money. Outside of that I agree the tournaments run very well.

The one and only reason they dont make the cap higher is because it would hurt the subscriber count and so instead they want people to miss out so people either pay or dont play. This and only this is why I'm upset it's a money grab and i don't care how you spin it the reason they do it is so they make more money. Outside of that I agree the tournaments run very well.

Listen man, I've been watching this flame war for long enough and moral of the story here is that you need to get over yourself. So you missed out this month - whoop-dee-doo. This is an internet webpage. Do you think that servers and web designers pay for themselves? Do you see any advertisements anywhere on this site? The answer to both of those question is a big NO. Pokebeach is well within it's rights to charge for content... Just like pretty much every other reputable Pokemon TCG site. Don't believe me? Go look at some1spc's site. I pay a subscription. Why? Because I like the perks - premium articles that are only available to premium subs, deck reviews by great players, AND guaranteed entry into these tournaments. You're upset about the prizes we get being greater than non-premium subs. Well, for $15 per month I get a chance to win double the amount of prizes offered at a $20 tournament IRL that happens only once every 2 months - SOLD.

Lastly, the time zone difference - while I understand non-U.S. players may feel some pain about this, this is a tournament specifically catered to U.S. players since that's where most of the subs are coming from. People who aren't in the country get the short-end of the stick on this but they have to conform if they want to participate. It's in the tournament rules. With that said, I don't know very many players here who aren't willing to accommodate where possible when such situations arise, including myself, so the only thing stopping you at that point is putting your pride to the side and asking for a little understanding.

Now that all of that is said, take a month to cool off and then come back next month. Nobody here wants you to write this site off because you're upset and everyone who plays in the tourney likes a good challenge so if you REALLY want to play, then come and play!

That's enough. If you still have a bone to pick with me, you're more than welcome to message me privately. Let's not pollute this thread any longer.

...for $15 per month I get a chance to win double the amount of prizes offered at a $20 tournament IRL that happens only once every 2 months - SOLD.

Yup, this is why I am going to jump into a subscription next month. This is all too true.

To anyone attending Madison Regionals tomorrow: good luck and I'll see you there. Hope I don't scrub out too hard.

Remember you are still responsible for getting your matches done and submitting your list to me.

Back