Event PokeBeach's June 2017 PTCGO Tournament, Sponsored by TCGPlayer.com!

• Are you a PokeBeach premium member? Yes
  • What is your PTCGO screen name (the name you battle with, not the name you log in with)? Gengar-101
  • What timezone do you live in? (If you don’t know what timezone you live in, use a World Clock to find out.) EDT
  • Did you play in May’s tournament? I did, but I dropped after round 2.
  • If you did, did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in June? Yes I did
  • If you did not, do you promise to do that this month? (We want to see you around the community!) I will this month as well!

I have returned for revenge and redemption!

Welcome back, buddy! :D

Hi guys. I am PMJ and for those of you who don't know me I am the TO for this shindig. I am always glad to see shiny new faces for our tournaments. Make sure you fulfill your posting quota! It's real easy.

Also I enjoyed reading the meme answers to "did you post in June?" I swear someday I'll get that bottom section right.

Here's the initial signup list. Sorry it's a little late, I'm moving tomorrow and the past few days have been hectic.

Premium competitors:

1. Nobodyshero2727
  2. Arneboy11
  3. tsefood
  4. BKRapper
  5. MoFoTY86
  6. Doby (Doby619)
  7. woahaustin
  8. QkumberSlice
  9. rayuma
  10. Joai
  11. Hansel (rhodan818)
  12. ozzie347
  13. Frisko
  14. jbcheshire (macboy02)
  15. Trixss
  16. Seng vang (Svang20)
  17. Coolpilot
  18. Dadoum
  19. Biosci (Blazeron)
  20. Twixz
  21. Serperior (EspeonROX)
  22. F4H_Jay (DariooJay)
  23. stevexue
  24. killrnite
  25. Anthony Bulone (bulone24)
  26. Jaypenny777
  27. Fapasaurus_Rex1291 (Fapasaurus_Rex)
  28. olivasds
  29. Ryan Heller
  30. MrxRubin
  31. TorchHG
  32. Tangelatwist (wondercards)
  33. danjack08
  34. CassieBrown (CassieBrown0905)
  35. AngelBeast (BurnsyBeast)
  36. Gengar master (Gengar-101)

May overflow competitors:

1. josie0001
  2. anthony7245

Competitors:

1. that_one_venasaur
  2. musicismyalibi_
  3. Cridtian (CRIS1011)
  4. Zeno (zeno101200)
  5. rainyman123
  6. SzymonPrzybyl
  7. Snibachi
  8. uncleyuri
  9. Victor-io-us (BakuSenpai)
  10. Erpeg (ErpegYT)
  11. masterman918
  12. YoYeBlaff_YouTube (yoyeblaff)
  13. Mr. Mirek (mrmirek00)
  14. theprp30
  15. Kirby
  16. lukas2aces
  17. Omarphylax
  18. arturomod
  19. Supergingerkid
  20. ztstephenson (Hallucinate)
  21. WangWei (DavidWei)
  22. basilisx
  23. Jonnysniper (xjonnysniperx)
  24. TheAnticipationEevee (AbsolutelyEevee)
  25. Bournopolis (dlbourne90)
  26. lt_tatter (lttatter)
  27. Kirbbyman
  28. xTITAN (Ace-fighter)
  29. Mrlyrical1
  30. AndrewSalami
  31. sw_bionic
  32. Ilir Nikqi (IlirSophie)
  33. PieterPie (Skyraker)
  34. Crizor (BandedCrizor)
  35. Jun11b
  36. ElGrandiosoNico
  37. ThePsychoticEspeon (ZATISH)
  38. Jadethepokemontrainer (Someweirdpokemo)
  39. Sethy79
  40. Peekapeter
  41. Yog (Yoggington)
  42. Slurma
  43. Matthew Johnson (icemanmatt)
  44. Rindon
  45. J0k3rSoS3riOus18 (sethayala)
  46. DaGod503
  47. SupremeLeaderQuagsire (krattboy8)
  48. benson lu (Superultimatep)
  49. normanc
  50. vnguyen188
  51. freedomfightre
  52. Josh Koehler (jkoehlz)
  53. DaBoss Gamer (gabriel110011)
  54. theschneids
  55. WaMike (mikecase00)
  56. InTheLight (InTheLight666)
  57. NinJamezor (DrVonStreusel)
  58. flying-casual

Overflow list:

1. Slurmee
  2. Trainerjaren (DarkWaterSplash)
  3. Magnechu (magnechu7)
  4. lukkul
  5. Starrydash (Radlynn)
  6. mikegoesgeek
  7. BrianFrobey
  8. PseudoTaco:/ (FlamingTacorito)
  9. WastedSkyPirate
  10. EmptyApartment
  11. Poranny_Blask
  12. Christian Ellingstad (Zomanga)
  13. guy (tsukiomitachi)
  14. Typhlosion17 (megampharoas)
  15. JohnKable
  16. Androsidy
  17. Clutta
  18. DashKing

Continue to sign up! If you wind up on the overflow list for this month, you can get priority registration for July's tournament if you mention you couldn't get into this tournament.

Premium members can still play! Purchase a subscription at any time between now and the end of Thursday and you will guarantee yourself a spot in this month's tournament, even if you're on the overflow list. Just make sure you tell me before signups end!

Friendly reminder that Tapu Koko SM30 and Tapu Bulu-GX are both legal for this tournament.

Also, please do not submit your list until round one starts. Also also, you can submit your list at any time during round one. You do not have to wait until you do your match. That's a good way to get a warning, and you don't want a warning coming out of round one.

If you signed up but didn't get added, you didn't meet the posting quota. Sad times. Better luck next month.

Signup phase end Thursday, July 1, at 11:59 PM EDT.

How come sign ups go for so long if after 8 hours every spot is filled? Seems strange.

Also why 96 entries and not 128? Considering after 7 rounds you'll still only have 1 person with a 7-0 record then less people miss out.

Also why are people that drop out in May allowed to sign up again over people that stayed for all 7 rounds?

• Are you a PokeBeach premium member?
  • yes
  • What is your PTCGO screen name (the name you battle with, not the name you log in with)?
  • morpheus7777
  • What timezone do you live in? (If you don’t know what timezone you live in, use a World Clock to find out.)
  • eastern (toronto)
  • Did you play in May’s tournament?
  • yes
  • If you did, did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in June?
  • not yet
  • If you did not, do you promise to do that this month? (We want to see you around the community!)
  • yes

Fine questions all!

How come sign ups go for so long if after 8 hours every spot is filled? Seems strange.

More people get the chance to sign up, even if they don't all get to play. Anyone who doesn't get to play is guaranteed a spot in next month's tournament as our way of apologizing for not being able accommodate them this month. In addition to this, normal competitors and those on the overflow list have a chance to secure a spot in this month's tournament by purchasing a subscription and becoming eligible for that sweet, sweet bonus subscriber loot.

Also why 96 entries and not 128? Considering after 7 rounds you'll still only have 1 person with a 7-0 record then less people miss out.

Not enough interest for 128 players. For me to seriously consider increasing the limit, I'd have to see numbers of around 140 to 150. Part of the benefits of being a subscriber is getting that guaranteed spot, and that would be wasted if everyone was let in. Additionally, knowing there is a cap encourages you to sign up quickly, or purchase a subscription, allowing you to sign up at your leisure.

I'm going to talk to the powers that be about posting the tournament thread at a specific time and having WPM tweet about it, like he did this month. This way you can at least know when the thread will go up and plan accordingly. Do you think that would help?

Also why are people that drop out in May allowed to sign up again over people that stayed for all 7 rounds?

Because I don't discriminate against my players like that. When someone tells me they want to drop, I don't ask why. It could be due to any number of reasons. Maybe they had a bad run. Maybe life surprised them and robbed them of time they thought they had. I don't know and I don't care. When someone asks to drop, I say sure you can, no problem, thanks for playing.

Those who are forcefully dropped are barred from playing in the next two tournaments, but subscribers are not affected by this ban. Just another perk of a subscription.

I hope this answers your questions to your satisfaction. If you (or anyone else!!!!) have any other questions, feel free to ask.

More people get the chance to sign up, even if they don't all get to play. Anyone who doesn't get to play is guaranteed a spot in next month's tournament as our way of apologizing for not being able accommodate them this month. In addition to this, normal competitors and those on the overflow list have a chance to secure a spot in this month's tournament by purchasing a subscription and becoming eligible for that sweet, sweet bonus subscriber loot.
So forcing people to pay or they don't get to play in a "free" tournament?

Not enough interest for 128 players. For me to seriously consider increasing the limit, I'd have to see numbers of around 140 to 150. Part of the benefits of being a subscriber is getting that guaranteed spot, and that would be wasted if everyone was let in. Additionally, knowing there is a cap encourages you to sign up quickly, or purchase a subscription, allowing you to sign up at your leisure.
Once again another way to force people to play or let people be disappointed by missing out. I don't see an issue with everyone getting to play the rewards for being sub are still good.

I'm going to talk to the powers that be about posting the tournament thread at a specific time and having WPM tweet about it, like he did this month. This way you can at least know when the thread will go up and plan accordingly. Do you think that would help?
No not really because it was posted at 2:40am my time and so I woke up and registered straight away but was still late

Because I don't discriminate against my players like that. When someone tells me they want to drop, I don't ask why. It could be due to any number of reasons. Maybe they had a bad run. Maybe life surprised them and robbed them of time they thought they had. I don't know and I don't care. When someone asks to drop, I say sure you can, no problem, thanks for playing.
But it's plenty okay to "discriminate" against people who don't pay money?

The annoying thing is Australia doesn't have that many real tournaments in the physical scene (I talk to friends from NA and they talk about weekly league challenges where there's only 2 for every set in Melbourne) and there's no other online scene but this and on reddit. Nobody else is allowed to promote tournaments so there's a ton of people who are stuck and miss out. I'll miss out by 1 or 2 spots and then I'll go and see that the event ended and see that 33 people dropped 12 of them being people with 0 wins and another 13 with losing records so there's a ton of people that just rage quit if they play badly after 1 or 2 rounds and as much as i understand your point of we don't know what happened there's no way that even half of them didn't drop for a reason other than bad record. Also 14 people dropped after 3 or less rounds but 18+ people are completely missing out this time around.

I honestly don't care about prizes I'd just play for the fun and experience and making me pay $20 AUD just to play feels super rank. Sydney Regionals are $30 AUD and I get 9 rounds and a playmat plus it's an official tournament.

Anyway this is just my view of it all coming from an Australian. (Who is around in the evenings PDT/EDT to play)

@Slurmee

I know it's disappointing mate but, by being on the overflow list, you get priority access to next month's tournament. So, as long as you sign up for that, you'll be virtually guaranteed for July. In the mean time, feel free to message me on PTCGO if you want some practice games or, better yet, how about setting up a little side tournament for, say, those on the overflow list?

Perhaps that'd be a good way of getting your competitive games fix for this month?

My username on PTCGO is WastedSkyPirate - same as on here ;)

@PMJ

I think this would be really helpful actually. Then at least I'd know what time I can go to bed!

Last edited:
@Slurmee

I know it's disappointing mate but, by being on the overflow list, you get priority access to next month's tournament. So, as long as you sign up for that, you'll be virtually guaranteed for July. In the mean time, feel free to message me on PTCGO if you want some practice games or, better yet, how about setting up a little side tournament for, say, those on the overflow list?
That's a whole month I miss just because subs deserve perks even though pretty much tripling their rewards plus giving 9th-16th isn't enough.

There should never be an overflow list. They've blatantly told me that they purposely want people to miss out every month which is just disgusting plus they dont care if people drop after round 1. To be honest this has put a massive sour taste in my mouth and puts me off ever joining and ever possibly subscribing.

Also we're not allowed to promote tournaments here as it breaks rules and interferes with the main tournament.

• Are you a PokeBeach premium member? No
  • What is your PTCGO screen name (the name you battle with, not the name you log in with)? Gabe014
  • What timezone do you live in? (If you don’t know what timezone you live in, use a World Clock to find out.) EST
  • Did you play in May’s tournament? Nope, but I guess I was on overflow list
  • If you did, did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in June? I didn't play, but I made 3 posts.
  • If you did not, do you promise to do that this month? (We want to see you around the community!) Yep.

• Are you a PokeBeach premium member? NO
  • What is your PTCGO screen name (the name you battle with, not the name you log in with)? ktem_b
  • What timezone do you live in? (If you don’t know what timezone you live in, use a World Clock to find out.) GMT +02.00
  • Did you play in May’s tournament? NO
  • If you did, did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in June? N/A
  • If you did not, do you promise to do that this month? (We want to see you around the community!) OBVIOUSLY YES!

• Are you a PokeBeach premium member? YES
  • What is your PTCGO screen name (the name you battle with, not the name you log in with)? Jpkemperor
  • What timezone do you live in? CDT
  • Did you play in May’s tournament? NO
  • If you did, did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in June? N/A
  • If you did not, do you promise to do that this month? (We want to see you around the community!) I DO

• Are you a PokeBeach premium member? Yes
  • What is your PTCGO screen name (the name you battle with, not the name you log in with)? TreiNization
  • What timezone do you live in? (If you don’t know what timezone you live in, use a World Clock to find out.) PST
  • Did you play in May’s tournament? No
  • If you did, did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in June? No
  • If you did not, do you promise to do that this month? (We want to see you around the community!) Yes

• Are you a PokeBeach premium member? Yes, Subscribed today
  • What is your PTCGO screen name ? akabryanhall1
  • What timezone do you live in? eastern
  • If you did, did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in June? No:(
  • If you did not, do you promise to do that this month? I do!

• Are you a PokeBeach premium member? Yup!
  • What is your PTCGO screen name (the name you battle with, not the name you log in with)? derek2727
  • What timezone do you live in? (If you don’t know what timezone you live in, use a World Clockto find out.) PST (Pacific)
  • Did you play in May’s tournament? Yup I got the 6th Place prize -___-
  • If you did, did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in June? I made them in May :)
  • If you did not, do you promise to do that this month? (We want to see you around the community!) I will continue to do so!

• Are you a PokeBeach premium member?
    No
  • What is your PTCGO screen name (the name you battle with, not the name you log in with)?
    Kurono-Kurisu
  • What timezone do you live in? (If you don’t know what timezone you live in, use a World Clock to find out.)
    UTC -3 (Brazil)
  • Did you play in May’s tournament?
    No
  • If you did, did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in June?
    -
  • If you did not, do you promise to do that this month? (We want to see you around the community!)
    Ok, i'll do :)

• Are you a PokeBeach premium member? No
  • What is your PTCGO screen name (the name you battle with, not the name you log in with)? Mcluvin
  • What timezone do you live in? (If you don’t know what timezone you live in, use a World Clock to find out.) EST
  • If you did not, do you promise to do that this month? (We want to see you around the community!) Sure

Final list.

Premium competitors:

1. Nobodyshero2727
  2. Arneboy11
  3. tsefood
  4. BKRapper
  5. MoFoTY86
  6. Doby (Doby619)
  7. woahaustin
  8. QkumberSlice
  9. rayuma
  10. Joai
  11. Hansel (rhodan818)
  12. ozzie347
  13. Frisko
  14. jbcheshire (macboy02)
  15. Trixss
  16. Seng vang (Svang20)
  17. Coolpilot
  18. Dadoum
  19. Biosci (Blazeron)
  20. Twixz
  21. Serperior (EspeonROX)
  22. F4H_Jay (DariooJay)
  23. stevexue
  24. killrnite
  25. Anthony Bulone (bulone24)
  26. Jaypenny777
  27. Fapasaurus_Rex1291 (Fapasaurus_Rex)
  28. olivasds
  29. Ryan Heller
  30. MrxRubin
  31. TorchHG
  32. Tangelatwist (wondercards)
  33. danjack08
  34. CassieBrown (CassieBrown0905)
  35. AngelBeast (BurnsyBeast)
  36. Gengar master (Gengar-101)
  37. Jpkemperor
  38. Sean Timmons (TreiNization)
  39. akabryanhall (akabryanhall1)
  40. Derek2727

May overflow competitors:

1. josie0001
  2. anthony7245

Competitors:

1. that_one_venasaur
  2. musicismyalibi_
  3. Cridtian (CRIS1011)
  4. Zeno (zeno101200)
  5. rainyman123
  6. SzymonPrzybyl
  7. Snibachi
  8. uncleyuri
  9. Victor-io-us (BakuSenpai)
  10. Erpeg (ErpegYT)
  11. masterman918
  12. YoYeBlaff_YouTube (yoyeblaff)
  13. Mr. Mirek (mrmirek00)
  14. theprp30
  15. Kirby
  16. lukas2aces
  17. Omarphylax
  18. arturomod
  19. Supergingerkid
  20. ztstephenson (Hallucinate)
  21. WangWei (DavidWei)
  22. basilisx
  23. Jonnysniper (xjonnysniperx)
  24. TheAnticipationEevee (AbsolutelyEevee)
  25. Bournopolis (dlbourne90)
  26. lt_tatter (lttatter)
  27. Kirbbyman
  28. xTITAN (Ace-fighter)
  29. Mrlyrical1
  30. AndrewSalami
  31. sw_bionic
  32. Ilir Nikqi (IlirSophie)
  33. PieterPie (Skyraker)
  34. Crizor (BandedCrizor)
  35. Jun11b
  36. ElGrandiosoNico
  37. ThePsychoticEspeon (ZATISH)
  38. Jadethepokemontrainer (Someweirdpokemo)
  39. Sethy79
  40. Peekapeter
  41. Yog (Yoggington)
  42. Slurma
  43. Matthew Johnson (icemanmatt)
  44. Rindon
  45. J0k3rSoS3riOus18 (sethayala)
  46. DaGod503
  47. SupremeLeaderQuagsire (krattboy8)
  48. benson lu (Superultimatep)
  49. normanc
  50. vnguyen188
  51. freedomfightre
  52. Josh Koehler (jkoehlz)
  53. DaBoss Gamer (gabriel110011)
  54. theschneids

Overflow list:

1. WaMike (mikecase00)
  2. InTheLight (InTheLight666)
  3. NinJamezor (DrVonStreusel)
  4. flying-casual
  5. Slurmee
  6. Trainerjaren (DarkWaterSplash)
  7. Magnechu (magnechu7)
  8. lukkul
  9. Starrydash (Radlynn)
  10. mikegoesgeek
  11. BrianFrobey
  12. PseudoTaco:/ (FlamingTacorito)
  13. WastedSkyPirate
  14. EmptyApartment
  15. Poranny_Blask
  16. Christian Ellingstad (Zomanga)
  17. guy (tsukiomitachi)
  18. Typhlosion17 (megampharoas)
  19. JohnKable
  20. Androsidy
  21. Clutta
  22. DashKing
  23. Calcab (Gabe014)
  24. ktem_b
  25. Shirotsuki (Kurono-Kurisu)
  26. CoontyThebadger (Mcluvin)

Friendly reminder that Tapu Koko SM30 and Tapu Bulu-GX are both legal for this tournament.

Also I just saw that I said signup phase ends July 1st but I'm too lazy to go back and edit it.

I will be so happy when things settle back down, lol.

So forcing people to pay or they don't get to play in a "free" tournament?
The tournaments are free. As of this post there are fifty-four people who are in this tournament and haven't paid a dime. A subscription is absolutely not the cost of entry. It helps you secure a spot, true, but you will never be required to subscribe in order to play.

Once again another way to force people to play or let people be disappointed by missing out. I don't see an issue with everyone getting to play the rewards for being sub are still good.

No not really because it was posted at 2:40am my time and so I woke up and registered straight away but was still late

I honestly don't care about prizes I'd just play for the fun and experience and making me pay $20 AUD just to play feels super rank. Sydney Regionals are $30 AUD and I get 9 rounds and a playmat plus it's an official tournament.

Anyway this is just my view of it all coming from an Australian. (Who is around in the evenings PDT/EDT to play)

These are all sort of related so I'll address them all at once.

I understand your frustration with living in an incompatible time zone. Knowing when the signups go up means little when it's in the middle of the night for you and all the Americans beat you to the punch.

The problem with time zones is that there is no perfect solution. PokeBeach is an American web site and we will always cater to North America first because that's where the overwhelming majority of our user base is. With that said, I want to give those brave Europeans and Australians who are willing to adhere to a North American schedule a chance to play, but the difference in time zones between the three countries is so great that someone is gonna get the short end of the stick.

What if I asked for the tournaments to be posted at 12 PM PDT? That's afternoon for most of America, mid evening for Europe, and the crack of dawn for you guys. It's not a perfect solution, but it should give you a slightly better window to sign up. Plus, with a posting time set in stone, you will know exactly when to show up in order to have the best shot of making it in - all without having to spend money. I can have it implemented for July if it gets approved.

That's a whole month I miss just because subs deserve perks even though pretty much tripling their rewards plus giving 9th-16th isn't enough.

There should never be an overflow list. They've blatantly told me that they purposely want people to miss out every month which is just disgusting plus they dont care if people drop after round 1. To be honest this has put a massive sour taste in my mouth and puts me off ever joining and ever possibly subscribing.

If that's the attitude you're going to have just because you were 97th, good. The system isn't perfect, but it's damn good and frankly it's a lot better than some people deserve. I am always willing to help people out but when you come at me with a poor attitude when I'm trying to strike a compromise then I start losing sympathy for you. Your concerns are valid but you need to chill out. We don't have to have an overflow list, but we do so people don't feel forced to buy a subscription just to play. You are right that subscribers do get a lot of perks. I've lobbied for an increase in the player cap nearly every month since I've started hosting because I hate having to turn people away. As I said before, the interest isn't there. You want a 128-player tourney? Show me the interest. Turning away a dozen plus people is preferable to turning away fifty. I'm sure the 32 extra people who get to play now that the cap is 96 instead of 64 are real happy I pushed that change through because that's a huge number of people who get to play instead of having to wait.

Yes, waiting sucks. I'm sorry you barely missed the cut. But at least now you are guaranteed a spot in July's tournament (as long as you mention this in your signup post).

Now then. Signups are over. I will be posting in the pairings thread with important information and pairings for round one. Let's get started.

Back