Pokebeach Members Attending the Pokemon World Championships

blargh257 said:
I will be there early on Friday (mom wants to get the retail stuff before it sells out.)
I will be Open Gaming, Registering, then more Open Gaming. I will not be doing the meeting, if it occurs, instead i will be hoping to trade my Yanmega Prime for last Magnezone Prime i need in Open Gaming. Why do i always have to scramble for my deck?
Oh, right, because i get like no money compared to the rest of you... oh well.

I probably don't have much more money than you do, I just run cheaper decks. :p If I were you, I would go on Thursday, considering Grinders starts at 9 on Friday... >.<

Meaty said:
I probably don't have much more money than you do, I just run cheaper decks. :p If I were you, I would go on Thursday, considering Grinders starts at 9 on Friday... >.<
I will be there on friday for people who want some last minute playtesting. And Meaty 9 isn't really that early all things considered.

Meaty said:
If you need to find me, I still look more or less like I do in the picture here (3rd post down), since I recently buzzed my hair again.

[/quote] lol, a psyduck that filps instead of flips. =)

Still trying to find a cheap motel, but will hopefully be going. Anyone know if there is free parking around the Hilton?

Water Pokémon Master said:
Still trying to find a cheap motel, but will hopefully be going. Anyone know if there is free parking around the Hilton?
This is San Diego we're talking about. Don't be ridiculous... of course the parking is expensive >.< TBH, though, there is a mall about a mile away (where we went for spaghetti two years ago) that has reasonable parking as I recall.

How far away from the event are you willing to go for motels? There are a few $40 per night motels a few miles away. Good to know that you're considering going. That's too bad about your laptop screen (you seem to go through one laptop per year), but its good that you're trying to get out to SD. Do you have a deck, or are you just going to hang out?

Wait you found some for $40/night? Link!! The cheapest I found was $84/night, which was a Motel 6.

I'll probably do the VG Grinders (where I'll lose in the first round) / hanging out / scanning on Sunday.

@ WPM, if you don't mind dorm room like hostels, there is a super cheap place called 500 west. just bring a lock with you to store your stuff in your locker.

Wait you found some for $40/night? Link!! The cheapest I found was $84/night, which was a Motel 6.

I'll probably do the VG Grinders (where I'll lose in the first round) / hanging out / scanning on Sunday.

less than $20?

although I did read that they'll place a reservation for you for 30 days, kinda killing your available balance, you have to call the bank/card company to get it cleared up and cut down to just the days you wanted to stay there.

Lol I was just looking at Google's results. Should never trust open google results until you click into it >.< Oopsies

I found was $57 per night about 3 miles away -- http://www.hotelplanner.com/Hotel/HotelRoomTypes.cfm?HotelID=194769&NumRooms=1&NumAdults=1&InDate=08/11/2011&OutDate=08/14/2011&sc=Nextag&NumAdults=1&NumChildren=0&afsrc=1

I also found $45 per night 8 miles away (you can't book online though so eh) --
http://www.baybreezesd.com/

Here's the source that looks pretty reasonable as a whole -- http://www.kayak.com/hotels/San-Diego,CA-c10760/2011-08-11/2011-08-14

Hope that helps :)

I can give you a team if you want... although no promises that it'll be any good ;P

On second thought, not sure if I really want to go. I don't really know anyone anymore. Plus I probably will have absolutely nothing to do all day Saturday. Bleh.

You should come, WPM. I know dmaster is gonna be there if that helps. Amt is going as well. If you are really obvious as far as who you are, you'll get a flock. Just hanging out is awesome. Plus, many people appreciate interviews. Perhaps interview a few players post-round on Saturday/Sunday and do a few write ups. I would certainly read them. If money isn't too much of an issue, you should really consider going. You'll have a good time... promise ;P

A few mods. I see Afro G at these events often (it is hard not to see him). Greg has a way of just showing up to CA events as well if you still like him :) I know that Jason is going (prolly on his plane now in fact), and the obvious california group. HomeofMew has confirmed that she is coming. Moreover, all of the usual celebs are going that you or may not want to meet (*cough* jwittz *cough*). Plus you have many adoring fans that would want to meet you ;P As I recall, they have VGC side events so, with a proper team, you can be playing for quite a bit. I'd recommend you go both for your enjoyment and for the site. Perhaps do some writing while you're there ;P IDK... I'm not gonna beg you to go, but I would recommend it ;P

There are plenty of things to on Saturday if you aren't in the tournament, from winning prizes in the mini league and mini tournaments, watching the pokemon movies, meeting some of the amazing people from around the world who come, and getting your chance to have your picture with Oshowatt.
On Sunday, the Director of the Pokemon Company, the Director of Game Freak, and the Game Director of Game Freak will all be there for signing, and if your lucky, you could land an interview.

The main reason I wanted to go was to interview those guys, but I have yet to hear back about it, which makes me think it's a no.

You could always just nail them as they're packing up :) You miss all the shots you don't take. If you get interviews with them, that'd be fantastic for the site. If not, there's still more to be done. Perhaps talk to players or judges between rounds? IDK... I'd give it a shot if I were you.

There are also interviews with the winners, 2nd place winners, etc. You could do what Zero said, get them as they leave. Or worst case, just go there to have fun, meet some of your adoring fans, win some free stuff, who knows(In 2009, they gave out Blastoise binders at the mini league)

I've tried to interview them in previous years. I've even presented them with notes in Japanese. But they have these "bodyguards" from Nintendo/whomever that seem to manage all their time and always say no.

Makes sense. Sadly, the only way to get up close and personal is to get their signature. Unless you've already tried that, waiting in line could work...
Otherwise, hope they reply, or, well, not gonna get much luck. :/ Their are still plenty of other people to interview there though

Hey I might be able to get you some time with Imakuni if he goes if your interested. I know hes friends with PokePop so he could probably hook you up.

Back