Finished PokeBeach Mafia 50: Fray at the Beach - Game Over - Claim Your Prizes and Vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good game guys! Thanks to everyone for making this game so enjoyable.
A special mention to bbninjas, not only for successfully hosting a large game like this (along with Jabber, of course), but also for the incredible good way he managed the triplemo thing, who could easily have ruined the entire game.

Mariano really wasn't a bad lynch at all; he ended up being almost an honorary scum with his reads the whole game.
This is my exact thought of myself!! I did a huge amount of misreads through the game, I'll try to improve it.

Name Kill is our factional kill not part of our actual ability
Personally for me, someone would notice either way I just hope no one really took it seriously
Something I don't understand... Mafia had two factional kills? I mean the regular one and the name kill?

But there are still so many questions like how did Scattered Mind survive the night kill was it just a thing that BB and Jabber decided would happen? And what about PMJ’s disappearance what was up with that?

@bb Dash isn't listed in the actions master document.
What happened on night 3 that caused an odd amount of spotlights?

The freaking name kill was a factional kill. We lost the moment that crap existed.
Whoever wrote that role is officially Scum MVP.
I'm out of here.

btw, @simsands has not showed himself since April 13th, but let's not forget he was also a part of the scum team, I hope he's alright...
I knew I had forgotten something!

I'm still surprised that I lived as long as I did. Usually i get suspecious fast and just get lynched. One of the reasons I don't really enjoy Mafia anymore. But this game wasn't too bad i think. It was ok to be a bit low on activity because of the big player count. So that was nice.
This is something I had noticed recently as well! We used to run games successfully with people of a variety of activity levels, including some who barely posted, and there was never much of a problem - and, as you said, it's much easier on the players who have less time available! It's only been as the game sizes have shrunk that we have noticed decreased activity (and the have felt its effects).

I still can't believe the crazy stuff that's been happening -
  • triplemo votes for his own team and goes kamikazee
  • AP votes for his own team and gives up
  • simsands investigates AP and finds that he's mafia, but doesn't share his findings prominently with his own team
  • Pikachuu indeed voted for himself on Night 7, and voted for his own team on Night 6!
What in the world! Shoutout to the mafia team for persevering through all of this!
So, fun fact: while a lot of the role-based / actions-based stuff that you speculated was correct, there were a few things that were not as you speculated - and in some cases, you actually incorrectly assumed what had happened! This played out in an interesting dynamic of course. :p

For example:
- The nature of AP's conversion (since he was one of the two who say triplemo's posts) meant that he never actually knew his teammates. Unfortunately he fell under fire before he could establish a line of communication with his team, and before the mafians could identify him as the convert, and so I could imagine his frustation and sense of giving up once things were looking pretty dim.
- simsands never actually investigated AP. He tried to investigate him on Night 2, but it failed because PMJ jailed AP. simsands than copied scattered mind the night that his role was swapped.

So I ended up getting AP’s old ability when he switched to Tropius
Yup, that's right. When the Triplemo fiasco happened, Triplemo was originally Tropius (who could access the mafian chat), while AP was originally Dhelmise with that Death Throes Ability. I decided to deal with the situation by:

a) modkilling triplemo, and (weakly) converting an innocent player to the mafian team as to not severely disadvantage said team by the modkill. Additionally, I didn't want to sub out / modkill Anime Psyclone for something he had very little control over, and so I felt that this was the fairest route.
b) gave triplemo's Tropius role to the convert, as the role was intended to be a significant element of the game (and thus I didn't want to see it leave prematurely)
c) gave Dhelmise's Death Throes to a townie, as that secured opportunity to kill a player was an important part of the game balance for the innocents team. (This was especially the case as the mason couple died early.) I chose TOTAL_EPICNESS for the recipient as a "reward", since they were honest about not the fiasco, and because they conveniently had a very passive (and negative utility) role already. I couldn't leave this Death Throes Ability on the convert, since it would most definitely tip the balance into the mafian's favour.

For those wondering why I did not modkill PMJ immediately (being the second and the only other player to have seen what Triplemo posted), this was because I did not want to give the mafians a free kill on PMJ (who they were planning on killing soon anyway), as well as another kill during that Night.

Something I don't understand... Mafia had two factional kills? I mean the regular one and the name kill?
Yup, they had two potential kills. They had a standard "choose a player and kill them". They also had a "choose a player, guess their role and if you're right, kill them" in addition to this. The decision to include this mechanic was actually prompted by NinjaPenguin, as a deterrence for the recent trend of early claiming and scumhunting based of roles, which had become a concern of ours.

I had sorta anticipated that most of you wouldn't pay much heed to my numerous "claiming your role may be detrimental to your health" warnings, and so I was never too worried about that hurting game balance. After all, back in the day when we had 30-player games, we would always have two kills a night; I figured averaging 1.5 kills a night at most wouldn't be a problem. For those interested, you can actually simulate scenarios (i.e. the sheer unlikelihood of town mislynching every day) to determine the earliest that the game would end, assuming two kills a night. The game would run for an incredible 6 Day Phases minimum - nothing to be of alarm.

But there are still so many questions like how did Scattered Mind survive the night kill was it just a thing that BB and Jabber decided would happen? And what about PMJ’s disappearance what was up with that?
Jabber and I decided that the first player who would be unfortunate enough to be lynched would receive a new role post-death. This took form as a Duskull, who could post in-thread (but not vote) even though they were dead, and had a 3-shot Ability that could delay the death of a player killed during the Night by one. This was effectively a weak doctor simply intended to buy the town a bit more time (and role usage), and actually gave me a bit of relief when I realised that a) the mafians were slipping under the radar extraordinarily well and b) all the new players on the mafian team were getting or risking being subbed out with veterans.

PMJ's disappearance was to because he saw Triplemo's posts. We weren't going to modkill him since that would give the mafians a free (and valuable) kill on a veteran. Instead, we forced him to be silent during the remainder of the Day Phase (hence the disappearance) and we alerted the mafian team that PMJ knows their identities (so that they knew he had to be killed). (We also reassured the mafians that this particular kill couldn't be blocked or driven, since that would have obviously been disastrous otherwise).

@bb Dash isn't listed in the actions master document.
What happened on night 3 that caused an odd amount of spotlights?
That would be my bad - I forgot to unhide the rows containing all the dead player's actions! They are now visible on the spreadsheet.

To answer your question specifically, mirdo highlighted 3 people as per normal. DashKing's role was then set to copy Mirdo's role for that Night, and so he highlighted the 2 people he submitted. Then the Light Ball highlighted a sixth person.

Now for the packs >:)
Details will be coming in the next 24 hours! Get keen!

Thanks @bbninjas and @Jabberwock it was a TON of fun and I hope you guys host another on in the future.

Well played Mafia especially by @Robin Aisaga, and @Yog, You guys had everyone fooled for most of the game. Well played!

P.S.

(You probably already knew this but there was no mole). It was just an educated guess on Drac and a final try to give myself one last day.

The freaking name kill was a factional kill. We lost the moment that crap existed.
I'm out of here.

You lost the minute your faction flat out ignored the name kill. 90% of townies just claimed their role name when it would have been very easy to censor that stuff. You even figured it out day two I believe.

I'm out of here.

You do realise that back in the day, in our 30 player games, two reliable kills per night was the norm? This factional kill was hardly that, as it was solely dependent on the town specifically ignoring or risking a repeated warning: "claiming your role will be detrimental to your health", and at worst, it would have been equivalent to about 1.5 kills a night. Hardly anything unbalanced.

The fact that we reached a 3 town / 1 mafian situation - and that we never reached an early MYLO - is testament to this game's balance. :p

You lost the minute your faction flat out ignored the name kill. 90% of townies just claimed their role name when it would have been very easy to censor that stuff. You even figured it out day two I believe.

Major props to @The Last Shaymin for doing this censoring! It was some incredible quick-thinking to claim Pidgey, and let's not forget that you were in a pretty stressful situation - I think you were the only innocent player to actually censor out your role name in this way! ^.^

I'm out of here.
Yeah cause there was no way to avoid them knowing your name

Seriously though I pointed that there is probably a name kill on day 2 and around what? 5 people completely ignored it and claimed their name anyway including you Luis if you and the other final townies just hadn’t shown your names you would have survived with only 1 night kill :p ...and yeah what BB said about the 1.5 kill average it was a really well thought out ability that deters early game claiming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back