Pokemon Pokémon That Don't Look Like They Belong in Their Home Region

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
Do you sometimes see a Pokémon and just feel like it should belong in another already known region, that it doesn't fit its home region or that it should be available in a certain region (even if its evolution or pre-evolution is available)?

Original:
In my case, with Gen. VI at our doors and the region paying homage to France, I can't stop looking at some of Isshu's Pokémon and think that they would fit better in Kalos, and that perhaps they were meant to be there but were instead introduced in Gen. V.
Pokémon (I'll only mention the final evolution but the other stages are also included) like Serperior, Stoutland, Liepard, Simisage, Unfezant, Lilligant, Swanna, Escavalier, Jellicent, Chandelure, Golurk, Hydreigon, the Musketeers trio and Victini. Most of these have some european theme, namely French, that I think would be perfect in Kalos. Chespin seems good but what better than have a starter line that was inspired in the "Rose of Versailles" anime?

Edit:
Share your opinions not only about Gen V-VI but also about other Pokémon that you think would fit better other regions and if they were introduced in those, despite their concepts still not existing by then

RE: Pokémon that don't look like they belong in their home region

Illumise Volbeat and Bellossom looks french too.
I think its just comes to mind in thus gen because until the last gen all regions were based of Japan but nobody seems to notice that or give it a thought. In future games we will see more real countries based regions and then this issue will be even more relevant.

However, Pokemon like you said might not be first encountered in the more fitting region but still probably will appear in the "right" region
I am sure we will see those in Kalos.

RE: Pokémon that don't look like they belong in their home region

Bellosom looks Hawaiian to me. Volbeat and Illumise do indeed seems somewhat French.

Yes, I also thought that this feeling might had something to do with the fact that the regions are no longer based on Japan but I do remember reading somewhere that Gen. V was rushed and since (If I recall it right) Masuda visited France in 2011 I can't stop thinking that some Pokémon not only seem unfit in Isshu but they were perhaps intended for some French-inspired game setting, what its now called X & Y.

With previous games, all the way since Kanto, despite the regions being "shaped" like real life locations, it was clear that, unlike what was to be expected, most Pokémon drew inspiration from non-japanese creatures and so it was the case of instead looking for those that where actually based on something japanese, be it a real animal or mythical being. With B/W, at first I accepted the inclusion of Serperior and thought "well, ok, they have french, chinese and japansese inspired starters" but then came Liepard, Unfezant, both with a ballroom mask detail, Lilligant with its lady-like looks, Simisage with a pompadour, all of which seemed akward, very akward, to have in an American-inspired region.
On a side note, even Cilan and his brothers seem like they were supposed to be part of some French setting.

I kind of see what you're saying, although I always found Simisage looked like he had an exaggerated biker theme going on. But for ones like Lilligant, Unfezant, Jellicent, and especially Escavalier, they all seem French or European in style.

I personally don't think Pancham and Pangoro really belong in Kalos. Just seems out of place for pandas. Still cool pokemon though. Glalie and Snorunt also feel out of place in Hoenn. It's supposed to be the tropics. I can understand Spheal's line because they are also water type and swim and can travel to colder climates, but Snorunt lives in a frozen ocean cave in the tropics. Doesn't make much sense to me, personally.

Well we did base our government off various european countries with the marines modeled after the britsh. Not to mention we have worked with the french a lot so maybe that's why the were in Unova.

I'm surprised no one brought up Empoleon or Serperior.

I always thought sinnoh's kanto evolved pokemon would have looked better in hoenn ( Electivire, Magmortar, Tangrowth, etc.) The johto ones look fine though ( Ambipom, Yanmega, Mismagius).

Bashamo said:

I always thought sinnoh's kanto evolved pokemon would have looked better in hoenn ( Electivire, Magmortar, Tangrowth, etc.) The johto ones look fine though ( Ambipom, Yanmega, Mismagius).

We've brought up seperior. Has no one noticed Fletchling is based off a Japanese robin and thought that was weird for France?

zappy800 said:
Bashamo said:

We've brought up seperior. Has no one noticed Fletchling is based off a Japanese robin and thought that was weird for France?

Japanese culture has big influence in some French circles (anime and manga I think). It's no accident that Trevenant was "revealed" in a French games exposition or something alike. So, Fletchling could be in Kalos as an invasive species that escaped a trainer and thrived in the wild instead of being native.

scattered mind said:
Illumise Volbeat and Bellossom looks french too.
(...)

Now that I think of it, Volbeat and Illumise would look awesome around Lumiose!

Shellos and Gastrodon.

They look like they belong in tropical Hoenn, not frigid Sinnoh -- which makes sense, considering they were originally designed for Ruby and Sapphire.

Lickilicky:
It was just yesterday that I've noticed the connection between Lickilicky's bellly pattern and the movie character Baron Alberto (from "The Rise of Darkrai") who owns such Pokémon and is even turned into one. Baron Alberto was inspired by Lickilicky but I wonder if in turn, Liclilicky was inspired in nobles' clothes?
Like I've said in my first post, some Isshu Pokémon have themes or physical features pertaining royalty and elegance, and so it was only when playing B2 and seeing Lickilicky that it hit me that the patterns (the white "bib" and the yellow stripes) might not be about bibs but about noble clothes and so since Lickilicky also has that big tongue, it would also fit Kallos (I know Lickiting is available but its evolution would be better)! Also, it's well know that noble people are often portrayed fat due to their wealth (it's no wonder that fat was considered beautiful and looked by people when marrying because it would mean the person would have money).

Pidove's evo, Unfezant don't look like they belong in Unova, as Pheasants are old world birds, originating from China and then bought over to Europe for hunting. I don't like that Tranquil is only available in the Friend Safari, as it should be found in the wild instead of Pidgey, as they're based on Osprays, a bird you only see in south east France (Which isn't even represented in Kalos).
As for Pidove, I know that Street Pigeons are old world birds too, but you're 10,000 times more likely to see a wild Pigeon in America than a Pheasant, as they're so wide spread throughout the world.

Pancham and Pangoro because Pandas don't come from France.

Zigzagoon doesn't fit in Hoenn or Kalos, as Racoons come from America, so it should instead be in Unova.

The Pans and Simis in Kalos, because Monkeys are new world Animals.

The Litleo line because Kalos isn't based on Africa. I know Shinx is a lion too, but it looks less like one than Pyroar.

I think Donphan should be available in Kalos, so it can make a reference to Babar.

Blob55 said:
(...)The Pans and Simis in Kalos, because Monkeys are new world Animals.

The Litleo line because Kalos isn't based on Africa. I know Shinx is a lion too, but it looks less like one than Pyroar.

I think Donphan should be available in Kalos, so it can make a reference to Babar.

Starting from last, that Babar reference would be sweet! ;)

As for Litleo, despite myths having countries/regions of origin, had it evolved into some Manticore Pokémon and I would accept it in Kalos. As it is, I'm with you.

About Simisage, I could see it in Kalos, hadn't it been part of a trio because of it's Pompadour hairstyle and because despite not being from France, by the time of Lous XIV, (when the Pompadour appeared if I'm not mistaken), monkeys were already used as exotic pet animals. This last argument could be used for Litleo but in a Gen. that had so few new Pokémon introduced and that perhaps has a good number of unused (as of now) concepts, they could go with another Pokémon that would be more fitting of the region.

The only exception I make is Japanese-inspired Pokémon. Since the game is made by a Japanese company, I think they may include those Pokémon despite the ins piration for the game's region. That said, I would like to see a remake of HG/SS (just for the 3D graphics) in order to see Darumaka, Klefki, perhaps Pangoro and others in Johto!

Snorunt/Glalie doesn't belong in Hoenn. It is, after all, a tropical region. That's not good for Ice-types. The Spheal line doesn't count because its partly Water-type. Regice is sleeping inside a cave for "millennium whatever."

Hawlucha looks like it belongs in Hoenn. Specifically, the routes west and east of Fortree. It just looks like a rainforest creature.

Seven is a Color said:
Hawlucha looks like it belongs in Hoenn. Specifically, the routes west and east of Fortree. It just looks like a rainforest creature.

Since there isn't any region based on Mexico, I would say that Hawlucha's best place would be near Lentimas Town in Isshu because Isshu is based on the USA and Lentimas Town sure seems like Mexican-inspired.

Back