Pokemon Pokémon Pronunciation Guide - Kalos Dex Additions

RE: Pokémon Pronunciation Guide - Complete

frezgle said:
Mismagius' official pronunciation drives me up a wall. Until I got the PokeDex 3D Pro I though it was "miss-MAGE-ee-us". Because, y'know... it's like a mage. I dunno what "miss-MAGGY-us" is supposed to evoke. Maggots? Maggy Simpson?

Arcanine has a similar issue.
"ar-KAY-nine" = Arcane + canine
"ARK-uh-nine" = ?

"MisMAGius" is more similar to "magic" than it is to "mage."

I follow the anime, and i had almost every pronounciation good. (maybe 4 wrong)

Thank you for this, I have always wondered if I was pronouncing the names correctly as it has been awhile since I have watched the anime.

I applaud this effort. Truly a herculean task.

I do think that the Pokemon Ultimate Handbook has way more than its fair share of errors though. Just having looked through it, it says some Pokemon learn moves they never have been able to, that some Pokemon evolve from Pokemon they actually don't evolve from, etc. Some of these pronunciations seem a bit off as well...

For example, I can't imagine Rhyperior not having the stress on the second syllable, while the Handbook has it on the first. It's strange to say and completely different from the origin ('superior,' which has the stress on the second syllable). Not to mention that in four-syllable words in English, the first syllable is rarely the only stressed syllable.

Scizorliscious said:
I applaud this effort. Truly a herculean task.

I do think that the Pokemon Ultimate Handbook has way more than its fair share of errors though. Just having looked through it, it says some Pokemon learn moves they never have been able to, that some Pokemon evolve from Pokemon they actually don't evolve from, etc. Some of these pronunciations seem a bit off as well...

For example, I can't imagine Rhyperior not having the stress on the second syllable, while the Handbook has it on the first. It's strange to say and completely different from the origin ('superior,' which has the stress on the second syllable). Not to mention that in four-syllable words in English, the first syllable is rarely the only stressed syllable.

Yeah, I hated reading through the Ultimate Handbook, but it's still not as bad as the BW Handbook. Some of the pronunciations didn't even match the origin of the names, while others are just weird, like Virizion originates from "Viridian", but the pronunciation originates from "Verizon" and the "i" in Pawniard is said like "y" (like yes) and too many sound Americanised.

I'm still glad this is used, especially since the anniversary for when I started it was yesterday.

Elite Stride said:
If you watch the Anime, you will never run into any of those problems. Or any other pronunciation issues for that matter. :p

Actually in Ash journey in Jhoto they pronounced Raikou as RYE-koo and in the Zoroark movie they pronounced it name as RIE-coe, so I guess what floats your boat.

This is helpful, finally my arguments will be won >:eek:

Do the people at The Pokémon Company know how to speak proper English let alone decide how to pronounce their own creations? Some of these pronunciations are just plain ridiculous. Like Char-MEAL-un, where did the 'e' go guys. Jeer-ARE-chi? CURE-em? C'mon now. Maybe some of those are typos.

Besides that really nice job for putting this together!

I'm british and i approve of this list. I've always pronounced them differently to the anime, finally i learn it's normal. I really don't like ray-kway-za, i will always say ray-kwaz-a

Momaster12 said:
Some of these pronunciations are just plain ridiculous. Like Char-MEAL-un, where did the 'e' go guys. Jeer-ARE-chi? CURE-em? C'mon now. Maybe some of those are typos.

For Charmeleon, I can only guess it was intended to be 'Char-mele-on' and that the 'e' makes the other one long, which doesn't make too much sense in terms of originally spelling it that way, but whatever. I'll always pronounce it 'char-MEEL-ee-un.'

Jeer-ARE-chi doesn't actually sound that bad. The 'r' in the second syllable isn't exactly pronounced, it's just there to signify a more throaty 'ahh' sound. Though I've always thought it's more like 'Jur-AH-chee' or 'Jur-ARE-chee' rather than a long first syllable, which makes it kind of awkward.

I've actually always said 'CURE-em.' I think it makes the most sense, to be honest. The 'ure' sound in english is always pronounced 'yur' unless the 'u' and the letter before it form one sound (ie 'sure').

Scizorliscious said:
I've actually always said 'CURE-em.' I think it makes the most sense, to be honest. The 'ure' sound in english is always pronounced 'yur' unless the 'u' and the letter before it form one sound (ie 'sure').

Unless you're British, as the word "sure" is pronounced "shore" and if that's the case, then it's KYOR-em for me... Which makes zero sense, as there's a definite "u" in Kyurem.

'Sure' is an exception, as 's' and 'u' form the same sound ('sh'). I was saying that 'ure' is always pronounced 'yur,' like in 'cure,' 'lure,' 'pure,' etc. That makes Kyurem pronounced 'Kyur-em' for me, which I suppose is the same thing as 'CURE-em.'

Frost Mage said:
I can't stand when I hear the pronunciation of Rayquaza "Ray-KWAY-za". "Ray-KWAZ-a" sounds much better to me. :)
I'm the opposite. Use to go with "Ray-KWAZ-a" all the time, but now I call it "Ray-KWAY-za", which sounds way better if you ask me. Also, this...
Frezgle said:
But "QWAY-za" sounds like quasar, those awesome glowing nucleus things out in space D:
Yep...

Scizorliscious said:
Jeer-ARE-chi doesn't actually sound that bad. The 'r' in the second syllable isn't exactly pronounced, it's just there to signify a more throaty 'ahh' sound. Though I've always thought it's more like 'Jur-AH-chee' or 'Jur-ARE-chee' rather than a long first syllable, which makes it kind of awkward.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it spelled Jirachi? Where's this 'r' in the second syllable you're referencing, because all I see (and say) is 'Jur-AH-chee'.

Scizorliscious said:
I've alway said it 'KYOO-rem' myself, which kind of sounds like 'cool em' to me.

My biggest problems with pronunciations is probably Regice, who's clearly suppose to be 'Redge-EE-ice' just like 'Redge-EE-steel', 'Redge-EE-rock' and 'Redge-EE-gig-us', but without a clear division between Regi and Ice, the name reads 'Redge-ice'. Still doesn't stop me from calling it 'Redge-EE-ice'. If there were ever legendaries who needed a rename, it was these guys; should have called them the 'Roys', as Regi means Royal, I believe (Royice, Roysteel, Royrock, Roygigas... would have worked much nicer if you ask me).

The Pidgeys have always been another pronunciation pain for me, since only Pidgey has any reason for a long E in its name (with that Y), but Pidgeotto and Pidgeot are constantly being called 'pidgey-otto' and pidgey-ot', respectively, despite apparently lacking the lettering that might dictate a long E sound in their names.

Scizorliscious said:
'Sure' is an exception, as 's' and 'u' form the same sound ('sh'). I was saying that 'ure' is always pronounced 'yur,' like in 'cure,' 'lure,' 'pure,' etc. That makes Kyurem pronounced 'Kyur-em' for me, which I suppose is the same thing as 'CURE-em.'

That isn't what I was talking about, as "sure" is said like "Sh-your" here and I was talking about the "your" bit in "shore", as calling it "CURE-em" is like saying we brits have to say it like "CYOR-em".

Basically what I'm saying is sure in America = "Shure" while sure in England = "Shore" So logically if you yanks say "Kyur-em, we have to say "Kyor-em, which as I said before makes zero sense, as there's a definite "u" sound in Kyurem.
Which is why I prefer "Kyu-rem" over "Cure-em/Cyor-em"

J.D. said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it spelled Jirachi? Where's this 'r' in the second syllable you're referencing, because all I see (and say) is 'Jur-AH-chee'.

It's supposed to be a long "ah" sound, so most people just say "are".

J.D. said:
The Pidgeys have always been another pronunciation pain for me, since only Pidgey has any reason for a long E in its name (with that Y), but Pidgeotto and Pidgeot are constantly being called 'pidgey-otto' and pidgey-ot', respectively, despite apparently lacking the lettering that might dictate a long E sound in their names.

I disagree. In English, an 'e' followed by an 'o' almost always carries a long 'e' sound. Eon, cameo, etc.

Blob55 said:
Basically what I'm saying is sure in America = "Shure" while sure in England = "Shore" So logically if you yanks say "Kyur-em, we have to say "Kyor-em, which as I said before makes zero sense, as there's a definite "u" sound in Kyurem.
Which is why I prefer "Kyu-rem" over "Cure-em/Cyor-em"

Ah, I see. I definitely agree with you for the British pronunciation. I feel like 'KYU-rem' would translate in America as 'KYUR-em,' though - we generally avoid going from a short 'u' sound to an 'r.'

scizorlicious said:
J.D. said:

I disagree. In English, an 'e' followed by an 'o' almost always carries a long 'e' sound. Eon, cameo, etc.
The word 'Pigeon', which lacks a long 'e' sound and is the basis from which the Pidgey family line is named after, suggests otherwise.

Blob55 said:
J.D. said:

I think it's supposed to be a long "ah" sound, so most people just say "are".
How does that explain where this second 'r' magically comes from? Especially when there's absolutely nothing to suggest its existance.

J.D. said:
How does that explain where this second 'r' magically comes from? Especially when there's absolutely nothing to suggest its existance.

I guess it's another British thing, as a long "ah" is said a lot like "are" and is similar to an American "uh".

J.D. said:
scizorlicious said:
The word 'Pigeon', which lacks a long 'e' sound and is the basis from which the Pidgey family line is named after, suggests otherwise.

The difference between pigeon and pidgey is that the 'e' in pigeon serves only to create the soft 'g' sound, while in 'pidgey' it acts as a separate long 'e' sound as well. The extra 'd' in pidgey and it's evolutions is there because of this.

Updated to 6th gen. Note that all 6th gen entries are temporary (not found in any books) and will be updated as soon as possible.

Shouldn't Aegislash be pronounced "EE-jis-lash"? The word aegis is pronounced with a long e sound instead of a long a sound, to my knowledge.

Are you sure Clawitzer has a long i sound? I thought the word howitzer had a short i sound.

Shouldn't Diancie have a long i sound like in diamond?

Why do you have tree-venant as an option, but not trev-enant? I had pronounced it like revenant with a t.

You seem to have Tyrantrum confused with Tytantrum.

Back