Speculation Pokémon Game News Drought - When Will It End?

DuoForce

Semi-Ace Trainer
It has been a solid year without any Pokemon news.... When do you guys think news will finally arrive in this drought?

What do you call the announcements of Pokken Tournament, Pokemon Go, and Pokemon RBY then?

I understand what King Arceus says, but I agree with pokemon64. I hope we get a main series game announcement soon. Hoping for Z!

Feels like a drought for people who mainly play the mainstream games, like me :/ I don't really enjoy the other games much, although rby for the 3ds could be fun if I didn't still have a gbc and yellow version.

I'm one of those who are longing for news of the new game(s). I would guess it will end in February like Pangoro#1999, said, being 20th anniversary and all. So leaks will probably start coming at the end of January. Or at least, I hope so...

I sure hope for Gen 7, but I will also accept Z or another remake. :D But Gen 7 is on my top of my wish list.

And then the possibility of either of these will happen on February 27:

• Pokemon Go Release Date
  • Next Pokemon game revealed late 2016
  • Battle Frontier is added to OR/AS
  • If not the Battle Frontier: Something will be added to OR/AS. (Maybe a function where the Legendaries reset after a certain point in time even after capture? )

At this point I really do think we'll get a game announcement by next month. They're definitely hinting towards something huge being revealed in the next CoroCoro, moreso than anything we've seen so far in this news cycle, so I have a good feeling about this month. I'm guessing the game will be revealed in a site update in early February and then CoroCoro will reveal whatever it is they're going to reveal and how it fits into the game.

They really have nothing to do but introducing a new main game. They already finished with every possible thing I can think of- Spin-offs, leftovers legendaries from Gen6 and a legendary tease Pokemon for the new game.

They really have nothing to do but introducing a new main game. They already finished with every possible thing I can think of- Spin-offs, leftovers legendaries from Gen6 and a legendary tease Pokemon for the new game.

They still haven't revealed Eternal Flower Floette. But I doubt that's what this is.

They're currently satisfied with the spin-off hypes going on it seems.

I mean there is Pokemon GO trying to milk people who haven't bought a handheld for a while now.
There is Pokken for the WiiU crowd and anyone who ever thought such a concept would be cool.
There is the re-release of gen1 on VC.
And Europe is still waiting for the newest PMD release.

But I got to agree on it feeling very uneventful, due to only really caring about the main games...
-Not interested in GO at all, I bought a handheld for games, while games on facebook and smartphone apps and whatnot are like the bottom of the barrel in terms of gaming IMO. Often being all about the least amount of development for the most buck...
-Pokken seemed interesting at first, but then it went so fanservice and "popular picks" that it completely lost me (They've put Gardevoir into a tekken-based Pokémon game instead of it's alt.evo Gallade? Seriously?..and then there is the usual Pikachu-libre/Chawizawd/Mewtwo ranting I could do, along with a more recent Braixen facepalm etc. Where is Breloom, Heracross, Hawlucha...or ANY of the Hitmons?)
-I am not THAT nostalgiablind. I have a hard-time playing through FRLG without constantly being bothered by all the outdated mechanics.. so the actual gen1 would be unbearable, and that's not even mentioning all the bugs and glitches those games had.

But don't get me wrong, I am all for Spin-offs, as they add diversity to an otherwise quite repetitive franchise. It's just that they aren't making any of the Spin-offs I'd be interested in or I've loved before.
-Where's Pinball? We haven't seen one since RS. I'd get a new one in a heartbeat.
-Ranger series had a good run of 3 games one after another in gen4, then disappeared.. it was everything that the overrated "pokemon walking behind you"-feature of the main games could never live up to and I'd love to return to that series.
-Stadium/PBR. No one wants a new PBR, including me, but that's because it was a terrible game that should have been so much more.
-Puzzle! I miss that game. Shuffle is not a worthy comparison.

Aaaaanyhow, back to the main games.

My current bet is on a repeat of BW2 for the XY-sequel/s.
That is, a simultaneous release with the mascots movie in June.
A reveal after February (when the current hypes calm down) fits nicely with that too.

In my opinion, they could make a Yellow remake to celebrate the 20th anniversary THEN Pokemon Z. It makes perfect since, they aren't just gonna give us Z for the anniversary, maybe both Z AND Yellow remake would be released at the same time

It makes perfect since, they aren't just gonna give us Z for the anniversary...
I wouldn't be so sure; the Tales series had their 20th anniversary recently, and they gave us a new game to celebrate. But I also hope they give us both Z and a remake. :3

I wouldn't be so sure; the Tales series had their 20th anniversary recently, and they gave us a new game to celebrate. But I also hope they give us both Z and a remake. :3
That's exactly what I think will happen, Yellow and Z release at the same time or Z first then Yellow (or vise versa)

I don't see them releasing 2 different games at the same time. One will always overshadow the other. So maybe one after the other. If they release Pokemon Yellow remake I will be surprised (and happy of course :) ) since they have already done X and Y which show many of the first games' aspects. ( the first starters, Mewtwo cave, bug forest with Pikachu in it etc.).

Unless both games were just improved/updated versions of already released games of the generation.
Like, 2 different green games, one as sequel to XY one as sequel to ORAS ;O

Not saying that could happen, but that's the only scenario I can imagine where releasing 2 different games simultaneously would not be a bad idea.

-Pokken seemed interesting at first, but then it went so fanservice and "popular picks" that it completely lost me (They've put Gardevoir into a tekken-based Pokémon game instead of it's alt.evo Gallade? Seriously?..and then there is the usual Pikachu-libre/Chawizawd/Mewtwo ranting I could do, along with a more recent Braixen facepalm etc. Where is Breloom, Heracross, Hawlucha...or ANY of the Hitmons?)

Oh my gosh you can use braixen in pokken? why didn't anyone tell me?

Really, I get what you're saying; I would be personally more surprised by suicune or chandelure, however, because... BRAIXEN!

Too bad I don't have a wiiU.

The 20th anniversary actually gave a reason to GF to take advantage of the Pokemon as a franchise and sell more.

Who actually would buy the first gen pokemon aside from the nostalgic players, or retro players? I'm a casual (but old) pokemon fan and even if GS came to the eshop (my fav gen) I would still not buy them.

Plus, now they have a reason to launch a "new" product that will try to sell nostalgia. We've seen this strategy so many times, and Pokemon can't but use it as well, now that the sales are getting lower with each gen. So, only smart marketing would save the series. But WHO's the target audience? Old fans of course. Pokken is a homage to old school fans, with even the developers admitting it. It makes sense to try and win those guys back.

I don't want to make things look tragic, like GF cares about money and stuff. H*ll no. I just say that as of now Pokemon was interested in making games. Now it's interested in surviving. The classic formula isn't enough anymore. So, GF had to turn into a new direction.

That said, I agree with the marketing and I'm ready to help, as long as the games/products are worth it and not lazy work. So, as long as GF provides quality fans we'll be there.

Last but not least, Charizard for Pokken isn't fan service. Mewtwo is, for its two forms. I could know nothing about Pokemon, but I would still pick a dragon on a fighting game, but not an anthropomorphic Frieza. And for crying out loud, why waste a slot for Pikachu Libre? To me that makes 0 sense.

Pokemon wants to reel in old fans. They release RBY on the 3DS. Old guys, and gals may pick up their 3DS and play them. Then think what has happened to pokemon since then? Well we got XY, and ORAS that are out now with Z possibly on the horizon. To hold you over we got Pokken Tournament with Mewtwo, and Charizard for you.

Game Freak is a business, so don't expect them to put in non-bankable pokemon into Pokken Tournament. Every pokemon on the list besides Braixan is a fan favorite, or appeals to nostalgia. Your Haryiama who might be the best choice for this game isn't as well known as Machamp, or Lucario. You can't expect Game Freak to go extreme on such a risky move. I think that if this game is competitively viable I could imagine getting a bunch of DLC characters.

I also want to know more about Pokemon Go! It seems like an interesting idea that went dark all of a sudden.

Back